Crystal Bach Amsterdam to Basel, October 27, 2019

rafinmd

Roy, 

I did the musical museum in Rüdesheim, but we had a bonus. Some teens were setting up their musical instruments in that small courtyard outside. We had a concert - whether it was a practice session or a daily occurrence during the summer months, I do not know. I had been eating lunch [waiting for the rest of my group (Road Scholar) and had already gotten me a seat], it was really nice finish to the tour.

I agree about the 'Conch Train'. We never knew the name of our tour - but that is a slightly inflated description. 😄

A question about Crystal river - are they as formal as their ocean cruises or more like the rest of the river ships? Thanks,

Carole

Actually, Crystal Ocean is not that formal any more.  At least the regulations are a bit less formal than HAL although they probably a bit more serious about enforcing the rules there are.  No formal nights (Crystal calls them Black Tie Optional( on any river cruise or any cruise of 7 days or less now.  I think people are a little dressy because the atmosphere is so elegant but it isn't particularly required.  Between Crystal River and Ocean I am onboard 33 days and we have 2 black tie optional nights where for men a jacket is required.  For 7 nights on QM2 we had jackets required 7 nights and 3 full formal nights.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, Crystal Ocean is not that formal any more.  At least the regulations are a bit less formal than HAL although they probably a bit more serious about enforcing the rules there are.  No formal nights (Crystal calls them Black Tie Optional( on any river cruise or any cruise of 7 days or less now.  I think people are a little dressy because the atmosphere is so elegant but it isn't particularly required.  Between Crystal River and Ocean I am onboard 33 days and we have 2 black tie optional nights where for men a jacket is required.  For 7 nights on QM2 we had jackets required 7 nights and 3 full formal nights.

Roy

Thank you, Roy.

Day Bach5, Friday, November 1, 2019 All Saints Day, Mannheim, German\y

Into each life a little rain must fall and for me it had to be in Mannheim.  It started out just really cloudy and got progressively worse.  

It now feels like good fortune that I've had an irritation on my right instep and had decided to move from an extended walking tour in Heidelberg to a visit to a more local palace.  

On All Saints day not much was open and we actually seem to have docked on the opposite shore from Mannheim but there was a shuttle into town.

My tour, Schwetzingen Palace Summer Residence left at 9:45 for about a 30-minute drive to the palace.  

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/schwetzingen.jpg

There were extensive gardens at the palace but we did not tour them.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/swgardens.jpg

There were also large wings to either side of the palace that we did not visit.  I believe that one is now used for concerts.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/palacewings.jpg

Our tour of the castle took a little over an hour.  Some of the public rooms we visited were a small one which would have been the quarters of a servant, a room with a large table where business was done, a room with game tables, and the dining rooms.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/palacerooms.jpg

The Prince would have a servant in his room at all times, the servant would sleep on a bed that was covered as a table during the day.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/his-room.jpg

The Prince never met his wife in his room; it would always be in her room and the bed there was bigger.  The marriages were arranged and did not work out for the last of the Princes.  He did have several mistresses but it was not clear that he ever had a real successor.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/her-room.jpg

We had a bit of free time for our return trip on the bus.  There was quite a large square in front of the Palace along with St. Pancras Church.  In the square there was quite a large iron sculpture.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/schwensquare.jpg

We returned to the ship about 12:30.  I took a short walk near the port (not very interesting).  When I started walking there was a very light drizzle but it grew in intensity steadily during the day.  It was still ok while I walked but never stepped on deck even briefly after returning from the walk.

At 4 guest speaker Steffan Kamenicek gave a talk on the Difficult Partnership between France and Germany.  He took a couple of questions but then had to leave the ship as we were sailing at 5.  

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/kammenicek.jpg

I got a start on packing before and after dinner.  My choices for the evening were the Ribeye steak and German Apple Tart.  Roz and James had Sound of Music trivia and a singalong at 9:30.  I stayed until about 10.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/dishes03.jpg

My parting shot will be a bit of a ramble but there will be a destination.  At Halloween I am normally either prepared or away on a cruise with one notable exception.  In 2012 I was due to board Crystal Symphony when Superstorm Sandy struck, and the port was closed as well as nearly all transportation services.  The ship would be passing New York and going straight to the next port (Charleston) and it was a scramble to get together.  My travel agent found me a rental car (LaGuardia airport was closed but the rental car desk was open).  I was to drive home and fly Baltimore to Charleston the next day but I was home on Halloween and not prepared.

For years Crystal provided nice pillow chocolates but the situation changed and they temporarily used something called "Chocolinis" (Chocolate covered dried apples but it tasted more like kitty litter).  By the time I had run out of what limited candy I had, the last few kids to arrive got chocolinis and I was hoping not to be charged with child abuse.  Of course, nobody complained when Crystal changed from Chocolinis to nothing.

Finally, I am getting some pretty chocolate on the Bach.  Each night we get two large chocolates (center and right) and in addition I got a Crystal Society box of large chocolates (left in photo).  I would love to see that on the ocean ships.

chocolates.jpg

Roy

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I just got caught up with all your wonderful reports and pictures.

Sorry I have been missing.  Ended up in the hospital for a few days.

We were going to do a river cruise a number of years ago, but the boats back then were not as nice as these newer river boats.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope  you feel much better now.

Roy

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We were going to do a river cruise a number of years ago, but the boats back then were not as nice as these newer river boats.

While Crystal's boats are definitely nice (well, amazing), AMA, Uniworld, Scenic and Tauck have had some very nice boats for several years. It is a different experience but worthy of trying.

Hope you are feeling better!

Edited by Coral

6 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

KK I knew something was up! I hadn’t heard from you on HAL or here and was hoping all was good. I’m sorry to hear you were in hospital!! I hope your resting comfortably and on the road to recovery!!

I missed you! Saw you were back on HAL this morning !!

Speedy recovery KK😊

Denise😊

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.

It will be a long road a head for me.  Joe mistook my low sugar level Tuesday morning while I was asleep.  He thought I was having a mini stroke.  So he started to get me out of bed and then realized his error.  I was starting to come around when he decided to call the EMT's.  He let get of my arms and I went down to the floor.  We thought I was okay but on Wednesday, my back was in a lot of pain.  Had the EMT's take me to the emergency room.  X-rays were done -- compression fraction of the L4 of the spine.  Didn't get released until late yesterday.  I am wearing a back brace which I can't keep in place and taking Norco every 4 hours for the pain.  The physical therapist just called and wanted to come out tomorrow.  I can't even hardly walk.  Will call back Monday or Tuesday.  Joe is beside himself because of the error he made which caused me to have an injury.

27 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you everyone.

It will be a long road a head for me.  Joe mistook my low sugar level Tuesday morning while I was asleep.  He thought I was having a mini stroke.  So he started to get me out of bed and then realized his error.  I was starting to come around when he decided to call the EMT's.  He let get of my arms and I went down to the floor.  We thought I was okay but on Wednesday, my back was in a lot of pain.  Had the EMT's take me to the emergency room.  X-rays were done -- compression fraction of the L4 of the spine.  Didn't get released until late yesterday.  I am wearing a back brace which I can't keep in place and taking Norco every 4 hours for the pain.  The physical therapist just called and wanted to come out tomorrow.  I can't even hardly walk.  Will call back Monday or Tuesday.  Joe is beside himself because of the error he made which caused me to have an injury.

Oh KK I feel for you with compression fracture L4. Stay positive and try very hard to relax. This will take time in healing and I will be sending love and positive energy your way! Your dear husband Joe so meant well and low blood sugar can mimic a mini stroke. He will come through in due time to know his intentions were he was trying to help. Stay positive KK and heal comfortably!

Sincerly

Denise😊

I finally made it to Basel on Saturday afternoon and I love it here I found the most fantastic chocolate shop I've ever seen and naturally bought too much it's called lederach then I have dinner in a wonderful Basel restaurant that specializes in fondue and for a starter I had mushroom fondue and then my main meal was deal Cordon Bleu which was probably the best I've ever eaten in my life accompanied by Rusty Rosti potatoes which is the Swiss version of are hashbrowns better much better than hash browns looking forward to getting on the ship Dazzle and also looking forward to meeting Roy I finally made it to bezel on Saturday afternoon and I love it here I found the most fantastic chocolate shop I've ever seen and naturally bought too much it's called lettering then I had dinner in a wonderful battle restaurant that specializes in Fond du and for a starter I had mushroom fun do and then my main meal was veal cordon bleu which was probably the best I've ever eaten in my life accompanied rosti which is the Swiss version of our hash browns better much better than hash brown looking forward to getting on the ship and Azle and also looking forward to meeting Roy before he leaves for Zurich and before I go to the ship

Greetings from rainy Basel.  I had login problems with Cruise Critic this morning.  My post for the day in Strausbourg is complete but I was unable to get into Cruise Critic when I posted it and have now packed away the computer I use for that.  I will post when I get to Zurich, but if you want to see the post you can go to the blog version here:

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/2019/11/03/day-bach-6-saturday-november-2-2019-strasbourg-france/

Roy

Hello everyone,

Roy has emailed me to advise Cruise Critic won’t let him log in.  So, his reports may be delayed.  He did get his latest report up on word press.  I am copying and pasting it here:

Day Bach 6, Saturday, November 2, 2019, Strasbourg, France

Posted on November 3, 2019

We arrived quite early in Strasbourg and I took a short early morning walk but we were on a rather isolated canal with nothing much around but a couple of cargo ships loading containers on the other side of the canal.

My 9:30 tour was a combination of canal boat ride and walk in the city. On the ride into town the guide spoke about how Strasbourg had changed between French and German territory over the years. When we disembarked the bus we had about a half mile walk through the streets of Strasbourg to the boat landing.

The core of Strasbourg is an island and we had about a 45 minute boat ride circling the island.

We had a half hour of free time after the boat trip. Our designated meeting point was the post office but it was on the same plaza as the Cathedral. There were LONG lines of people waiting to enter the cathedral.

All aboard was 12:30 and we were the first bus back at 12:40 with the other 2 buses right behind us. On Crystal Ocean the tradition is that at sailaway “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong is played over the public address system and I often use “Louis sang at ###” as shortcut for our departure time. Louis sings on the river ships as well but it appears to only be played in Palm Court and the tune is “Moon River”. Louis sang promptly at 1PM. While we were touring there were changes on the Bach. The Deck 4 bar and all the awnings on deck 4 had been lowered although the deck was still open and there were chairs available.

We came to the first lock about 2. Instead of the usual swinging gates as on the original Panama Canal there was a Guillotine gate; we entered through a pretty tight passage under the gate which dropped down behind us. On this first lock the upstream gate dropped into the water to give us an exit.

One of the officers was out on what would be the bridge wings on an ocean ship guiding us through the lock. Locks we passed later also seemed to use Guillotine gates with standard swinging gates upstream.

There was a tour of the galley at 4. We were greeted by the Executive Chef who spoke first about the operation and having one of the larger galleys on the river. His staff is much smaller than he would have on the ocean ships; his department has 10, and not all work at the same time. We got a peek at the baking, hot foods, and cold foods areas all small but quite well organized. Nearly all the food is prepared from scratch on the ship.

Near the back of the galley we got a glimpse of the crew dining room. Simple but pleasant.

I did not see an actual sunset but late afternoon as the sun was getting low there was a bit of color in the sky.

The farewell party was held at 6:30 in Palm Court. For my final dinner on the Bach I had a veal dish, simple salad, and of course ice cream.

Much of the evening was spent packing and I was almost done by about 10 although bags do not need to go our until morning. I think everything I won’t need in Zurich is in the big bag and I should be able to leave it in left luggage in Zurich rather than carting it to my hotel and back.

As a parting shot, most everyone in North America gets an extra hour overnight. The saying always used to be “Change your clocks, change your smoke detector batteries”. Most smoke detectors now have permanent batteries so people with the old style should consider changing their detectors or at the very least their batteries.

Roy

3A0FDE4B-D36D-4291-B8DF-E28D4C6D9A27.jpeg.4a1ab23f9dcd753728a4fefe571ae808.jpeg

81B85DD7-60F0-4BB4-BCC5-F196FFAD2831.jpeg.c2b4c0bb9be137ce24a9f283ba48aff9.jpeg

B7757B9E-78C3-4D13-AD85-50E238E98462.jpeg.cd953b373d71b45fcdb2019adfd52e0f.jpeg

C3E48BE7-4A0E-4F0A-B8D3-45B216B6CB21.jpeg.50772e0fdeb711d59f0ed44ac6ea9004.jpeg

5DB231C9-6AFB-4A14-85F5-B0020FAF1A2F.jpeg.1684395a6fd870ad968b2e2c173de8c9.jpeg

8AA95147-872A-40C8-A518-495D775E33AF.jpeg.031b8ee6a30ada749b94ef657610b052.jpeg

24C62D52-9DA2-4B0D-B3B4-1EF801151AEE.jpeg.a34a6703f3706879b99a72f3b1a10786.jpeg

AF50E51C-48AA-492A-AD37-E162B0728955.jpeg.f2da499214de33157a4f3adede8a990e.jpeg2C565338-0436-4CB2-90A3-7FDCE80B462E.jpeg.fa3b2fa56069bf35edf989e0035f69fc.jpeg

5D271FB3-06BC-4986-89DC-6CDB09A875E3.jpeg.663bb678c8fc34de9a1a3e798b5b4744.jpeg

6B30DC68-1F04-4EF5-B215-673750F3BCC3.jpeg.beb51eddaeaa3e1d47253b36b4f63f37.jpeg

16 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Oh KK I feel for you with compression fracture L4. Stay positive and try very hard to relax. This will take time in healing and I will be sending love and positive energy your way! Your dear husband Joe so meant well and low blood sugar can mimic a mini stroke. He will come through in due time to know his intentions were he was trying to help. Stay positive KK and heal comfortably!

Sincerly

Denise😊

Thank you Denise.

David and Roy got to meet each other in Basel this morning at the train station it was a real pleasure to meet Roy and I told him how much I enjoyed reading his Squad get his posting on his River Cruise I'm on the crystal ball right now and all I can say is it's better than first class the people are so friendly and treat you so well I know I'm going to be treated royally for the next 8 days like I've never been treated before in my life I'm having lunch right now and the food is fantastic and so is the Prosecco it's pouring rain a Blustery Day in Basel and I don't care I'm from Phoenix where it never rains and is never blessed tree and the leaves never change colored so I'm really enjoying the weather which most people would think is awful

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

David and Roy got to meet each other in Basel this morning at the train station it was a real pleasure to meet Roy and I told him how much I enjoyed reading his Squad get his posting on his River Cruise I'm on the crystal ball right now and all I can say is it's better than first class the people are so friendly and treat you so well I know I'm going to be treated royally for the next 8 days like I've never been treated before in my life I'm having lunch right now and the food is fantastic and so is the Prosecco it's pouring rain a Blustery Day in Basel and I don't care I'm from Phoenix where it never rains and is never blessed tree and the leaves never change colored so I'm really enjoying the weather which most people would think is awful

Have a great trip!

So glad you connected with Roy. I appreciated all of his reports.

13 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

I finally made it to Basel on Saturday afternoon and I love it here I found the most fantastic chocolate shop I've ever seen and naturally bought too much it's called lederach then I have dinner in a wonderful Basel restaurant that specializes in fondue and for a starter I had mushroom fondue and then my main meal was deal Cordon Bleu which was probably the best I've ever eaten in my life accompanied by Rusty Rosti potatoes which is the Swiss version of are hashbrowns better much better than hash browns looking forward to getting on the ship Dazzle and also looking forward to meeting Roy I finally made it to bezel on Saturday afternoon and I love it here I found the most fantastic chocolate shop I've ever seen and naturally bought too much it's called lettering then I had dinner in a wonderful battle restaurant that specializes in Fond du and for a starter I had mushroom fun do and then my main meal was veal cordon bleu which was probably the best I've ever eaten in my life accompanied rosti which is the Swiss version of our hash browns better much better than hash brown looking forward to getting on the ship and Azle and also looking forward to meeting Roy before he leaves for Zurich and before I go to the ship

David you have a great personality and it shows in your writings! I only know Roy over the years through CC and he invited me to meet up with him before his cruise and I so wish I could but our daughter took over my practice and it was a big party and I could not meet up with him. He is such a wonderful person and scouts and his fire department back home is so important to him! Everyone cares for Roy here and on other CC cruise lines! Have a wonderful cruise David!

Denise😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Hello everyone,

Roy has emailed me to advise Cruise Critic won’t let him log in.  So, his reports may be delayed.  He did get his latest report up on word press.  I am copying and pasting it here:

Day Bach 6, Saturday, November 2, 2019, Strasbourg, France

Posted on November 3, 2019

We arrived quite early in Strasbourg and I took a short early morning walk but we were on a rather isolated canal with nothing much around but a couple of cargo ships loading containers on the other side of the canal.

My 9:30 tour was a combination of canal boat ride and walk in the city. On the ride into town the guide spoke about how Strasbourg had changed between French and German territory over the years. When we disembarked the bus we had about a half mile walk through the streets of Strasbourg to the boat landing.

The core of Strasbourg is an island and we had about a 45 minute boat ride circling the island.

We had a half hour of free time after the boat trip. Our designated meeting point was the post office but it was on the same plaza as the Cathedral. There were LONG lines of people waiting to enter the cathedral.

All aboard was 12:30 and we were the first bus back at 12:40 with the other 2 buses right behind us. On Crystal Ocean the tradition is that at sailaway “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong is played over the public address system and I often use “Louis sang at ###” as shortcut for our departure time. Louis sings on the river ships as well but it appears to only be played in Palm Court and the tune is “Moon River”. Louis sang promptly at 1PM. While we were touring there were changes on the Bach. The Deck 4 bar and all the awnings on deck 4 had been lowered although the deck was still open and there were chairs available.

We came to the first lock about 2. Instead of the usual swinging gates as on the original Panama Canal there was a Guillotine gate; we entered through a pretty tight passage under the gate which dropped down behind us. On this first lock the upstream gate dropped into the water to give us an exit.

One of the officers was out on what would be the bridge wings on an ocean ship guiding us through the lock. Locks we passed later also seemed to use Guillotine gates with standard swinging gates upstream.

There was a tour of the galley at 4. We were greeted by the Executive Chef who spoke first about the operation and having one of the larger galleys on the river. His staff is much smaller than he would have on the ocean ships; his department has 10, and not all work at the same time. We got a peek at the baking, hot foods, and cold foods areas all small but quite well organized. Nearly all the food is prepared from scratch on the ship.

Near the back of the galley we got a glimpse of the crew dining room. Simple but pleasant.

I did not see an actual sunset but late afternoon as the sun was getting low there was a bit of color in the sky.

The farewell party was held at 6:30 in Palm Court. For my final dinner on the Bach I had a veal dish, simple salad, and of course ice cream.

Much of the evening was spent packing and I was almost done by about 10 although bags do not need to go our until morning. I think everything I won’t need in Zurich is in the big bag and I should be able to leave it in left luggage in Zurich rather than carting it to my hotel and back.

As a parting shot, most everyone in North America gets an extra hour overnight. The saying always used to be “Change your clocks, change your smoke detector batteries”. Most smoke detectors now have permanent batteries so people with the old style should consider changing their detectors or at the very least their batteries.

Roy

3A0FDE4B-D36D-4291-B8DF-E28D4C6D9A27.jpeg.4a1ab23f9dcd753728a4fefe571ae808.jpeg

81B85DD7-60F0-4BB4-BCC5-F196FFAD2831.jpeg.c2b4c0bb9be137ce24a9f283ba48aff9.jpeg

B7757B9E-78C3-4D13-AD85-50E238E98462.jpeg.cd953b373d71b45fcdb2019adfd52e0f.jpeg

C3E48BE7-4A0E-4F0A-B8D3-45B216B6CB21.jpeg.50772e0fdeb711d59f0ed44ac6ea9004.jpeg

5DB231C9-6AFB-4A14-85F5-B0020FAF1A2F.jpeg.1684395a6fd870ad968b2e2c173de8c9.jpeg

8AA95147-872A-40C8-A518-495D775E33AF.jpeg.031b8ee6a30ada749b94ef657610b052.jpeg

24C62D52-9DA2-4B0D-B3B4-1EF801151AEE.jpeg.a34a6703f3706879b99a72f3b1a10786.jpeg

AF50E51C-48AA-492A-AD37-E162B0728955.jpeg.f2da499214de33157a4f3adede8a990e.jpeg2C565338-0436-4CB2-90A3-7FDCE80B462E.jpeg.fa3b2fa56069bf35edf989e0035f69fc.jpeg

5D271FB3-06BC-4986-89DC-6CDB09A875E3.jpeg.663bb678c8fc34de9a1a3e798b5b4744.jpeg

6B30DC68-1F04-4EF5-B215-673750F3BCC3.jpeg.beb51eddaeaa3e1d47253b36b4f63f37.jpeg

Thanks Jacqui for doing this!! You always come through and help ! Much appreciated.

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your kind words Denise it was wonderful meeting Roy at the station in Basel I'm glad I got to meet him in person he's really an outstanding individual well I made it to the ship and all I can say is oh my God the food at lunch was incredible like eating in a five-star restaurant and I thought to myself this is going to be a 10 lb week I think unless I have some control but I'm sitting in the restaurant looking out the windows there Swans in the river and lots of birds and Ducks of course it was pouring rain but now it the rain has stopped in fact there's even a beautiful sunset and I'm doing some laundry and I've been meeting so many nice people on this ship I'm so happy that I've decided to do it and thank you again for your kind words

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

Thank you for your kind words Denise it was wonderful meeting Roy at the station in Basel I'm glad I got to meet him in person he's really an outstanding individual well I made it to the ship and all I can say is oh my God the food at lunch was incredible like eating in a five-star restaurant and I thought to myself this is going to be a 10 lb week I think unless I have some control but I'm sitting in the restaurant looking out the windows there Swans in the river and lots of birds and Ducks of course it was pouring rain but now it the rain has stopped in fact there's even a beautiful sunset and I'm doing some laundry and I've been meeting so many nice people on this ship I'm so happy that I've decided to do it and thank you again for your kind words

You have a wonderful cruise David!!!! Isn’t 

It nice to be able to take time for you and enjoy The relaxation!

Smooth Sailings 

Denise😊

• Like 1

Day Bach7, Disembark Crystal Bach, transfer to Zurich

Well, the day got off to a pretty good start despite a gloom in the weather.  We docked about 5:14, alongside a Tauck ship.   After a final omelet in Waterside I had a couple of hours before departing the ship.  I hung in my room till about 9:45 and then headed up to the Bistro.  The taxi the ship arranged for me came about 10:15, and then it was up to the top deck, across the top deck of the Tauck ship, and down to the waiting taxi.    The driver came with me to the ticket office, then we parted and I was alone with my luggage.

A meeting had been planned with a  passenger on the next Bach cruise who had been following my reports and I called him about 9 to be sure our cell phones would connect.  Unfortunately, we should have kept that conversation short because when I tried to call him from the station I was out of minutes.  We were probably within 100 meters of each other but long missed each other.  I approached several people but they were not him, and finally I saw someone looking at the schedule board and it was David.  We only had about 10 minutes to talk before I headed off to my train.

I had purchased a first class ticket but found the signage in the stations poor and thought I saw an arrow pointing to "1" but everything was second class and I finally just stepped aboard as the train was about to leave.  

Second class was really not bad and the ride was only an hour but I did end up riding backwards.  There was space on the rack for my backpack.  The rolling bag ended up by the doors with a stroller on one side and my bag on the other.

Things really went down hill when I arrived in Zurich.  I had hoped to store the big bag in left luggage and pick it up getting the train to the airport but I saw no useful signs and ended up finding neither left luggage nor a taxi.

I was near the tram stop and had checked the transit options for the hotel  and decided that was what I needed to do.  Some of the trams were very accessible but mine was not.  Not only were there steps but there was a railing in the middle of the doorway and even when some people helped it was difficult wedging the bag through the opening.  I reset things so I could carry the monster sideways through the door getting off but once on the street it tipped over and so did I.  My knee twisted a bit as I went down but I seemed to be ok and re-gathered my stuff and rested a bit on the bench at the tram stop.  A local gave me detailed directions to the hotel which was quite close.  

At the hotel there were about 5 pretty big steps into the lobby.  The desk clerks wrestled the bags into the lobby and there was a room ready for me (about 1:30).  

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/adler312.jpg

The other unfortunate news almost immediately was that when I started my primary laptop there was a warning about a cooling fan problem.  I am in the process of moving all operations to my backup laptop.

I inquired about a grocery store and was told most everything was closed on Sunday and my best bet was around the train station.  I walked back and got lunch and found a few things at shops, but as I returned a drizzle got a bit more annoying.

I worked on my computer for a while and found my knee injury which had been barely noticeable on my lunch walk was stiffening up badly.  I was also quite tired and napped the rest of the afternoon.  I really did not feel like going out for dinner and never got beyond the hotel restaurant.  I took "a nap" after dinner and that was it, getting up just long enough to undress about midnight.  As of morning I am just a bit better but will not do much on Monday.

My parting shot, travel is not always easy but must be taken as it comes.

Roy

PS,  David emailed this morning and my takeaway is he is blown away by the Bach experience.