Port Canaveral

mskaufman

We have an 11 hour stop here (8 am - 7 pm).  They offer transportation to Disney or Universal.  Given the entrance fee to any of the attractions is this enough time to be worth it or should we look for something else to do.

Not really enough time to do a park.  It is an hour to drive each way.  Getting in and out of the park will also eat up the better part of another hour.  You could do Disney Springs for a meal and shopping.

The port is at least an hour from both theme parks,  so depending on the transportation schedule, you might have 7 hours at the park.  Depending on how crowded the park is and what kind of rides and activities you want to do, the wait time in lines, especially if you don't have express passes,  might also cut significantly into how much you can do.  Everyone has different ideas of what is "worth it", but it is a very expensive day, and you would be there for the busiest hours and longest lines.

You don't say if you are taking children, and if so, what their ages are.  I think adults and older children might have a great day at Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral.   We took our 8 year old grandchildren last year and had a  great day; I think they find Disney World  more exciting, but they enjoyed the activities and rides, met an astronaut, and learned a lot about space travel.  It is close to the port, and spending the full day there would give you enough time to do most of the activities without feeling rushed.  

Airboat rides on the St. John's river are also popular.  On a sunny day, we have seen many alligators sunning themselves on the river banks, and the ride itself is interesting.  

If you just want a relaxing beach day, you could take a cab to Coco Beach, just 15 minutes or so from the port.  In addition to the beach, there are several restaurants, mini golf, and shops - an easy day.  

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have a good day.

Cheryl

Considering what Disney charges for one day, and the limited time that would only allow you to only cover a fraction of the rides and attractions, I would consider it a waste of money. Im my humble opinion, Disney is best suited for a multi-day land vacation.

With that said, if you have never been to Disney and you won’t be planning any vacations to Orlando in the foreseeable future, then sure, go to Disney for the day, make a short list of your top rides, and enjoy sampling what the park has to offer. It may give you an incentive to return one day for a longer land vacation.

In my humble opinion, going to Disney in the limited amount of time that a cruise stop provides is similar to going to any major port of call by cruise ship (for example, like taking a Mediterranean cruise where you’ll stop at places like Barcelona and Rome). You know that there’s no way that you’re going to see even a small fraction of what these ports have to offer, but as long as you go with that understanding, you make a short list of places to explore, and you are OK with it, then it should be a memorable and enjoyable day. 

Edited by Tapi

I would do Kennedy Space Center as it's closer and if you have any interest in space at all there is so much to see.  Aside from that, an Uber/Lyft into Cocoa Beach, grab lunch @ Publix (it's a grocery store but trust me) and head to the beach.  As others mentioned, there is mini golf and a few bars/restaurants in and around Cocoa Beach as well.  Either of those would be much more relaxed and enjoyable IMO.

going to Disney in the limited amount of time that a cruise stop provides is similar to going to any major port of call by cruise ship (for example, like taking a Mediterranean cruise where you’ll stop at places like Barcelona and Rome). You know that there’s no way that you’re going to see even a small fraction of what these ports have to offer, but as long as you go with that understanding, you make a short list of places to explore, and you are OK with it, then it should be a memorable and enjoyable day. 

agree 95%

the reserved 5% is the cost of a single day ticket to Disney (or Universal) which is 😱

I would mention that on my last few trips into WDW (at GREATLY reduced rates) I have not ridden a single ride .... last visit staying in GF I didn't even enter a park ......

Finally ... you will probably be pointed to Disney Springs ..... which is simply a shopping center and IMO HoHum BUT if you are OK with that ... there is no admission charge while still being "Mouse"

• Like 1

I'll go with going to KSC.  It's about 15 miles away and an easy drive.  I thought I would stay for maybe an hour or two, but I ended up doing about 5 hours!  I found it fascinating.  I did the bus ride out to the launch complexes - I didn't think I'd be impressed, but to see the actual launch pad for all the Shuttle journeys and that it is now used by Space X, and then go into the command center from the 60s/70s and see all the actual consoles, it reminded me of all the space activity from my childhood,  To see Atlantis up close and very personal was just awesome,  I must have spent an hour just in that building!!!

If you want something else - like others said, go in to Cocoa Beach,  The "historic" part around Atlantic and Minuteman would be good.  good beach there with beach chairs for rent.  Fun bar and decent food at Coconuts on the Beach.  Go a block down MInutman to The Tiny Turtle for excellent Puerto Rican fare.  Save room for ice cream next door at The Fat Donkey.  Catch an Uber back to the Port.  

I can't go to Publix - I end up getting way too much stuff as there is soooo much good stuff over there at the pre-made and deli section!!!!

We thought about Disney/Universal during our Port Canaveral stop but decided not enough time to justify the expense.

Kennedy Space Center seems like a great idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion about where to book a tour (not through the cruise line) to provide transportation from the cruise port, admission to the KSC, and a tour?

I've done some internet searches and only seem to find a few options from Orlando.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, mskaufman said:

We have an 11 hour stop here (8 am - 7 pm).  They offer transportation to Disney or Universal.  Given the entrance fee to any of the attractions is this enough time to be worth it or should we look for something else to do.

My opinion is different because we do not know your budget.

If your budget allows for it, absolutely do it. It is an easy drive and you will get to experience the Magic.

With some pre-planning (use the My Disney Experience app) you can fastpass some rides, character meets, etc as you wish. Even if you are not planning anything ahead, it is still very much worth a visit.

It comes down to cost/money and what you consider important in life.

The truth is, with so much to see and do at Disney, you need much more than a week to experience it all anyways. So if your ship were here for 4 days you will still not see everything!  Then how much time is really enough to make a Disney trip "worthwhile"????

17 hours ago, VA4family said:

We thought about Disney/Universal during our Port Canaveral stop but decided not enough time to justify the expense.

Kennedy Space Center seems like a great idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion about where to book a tour (not through the cruise line) to provide transportation from the cruise port, admission to the KSC, and a tour?

I've done some internet searches and only seem to find a few options from Orlando.

There may are tours, but it is very, very easy to DIY.  Rent a car for the day.  It really is an easy drive to KSC (get out of port, go across the causeway, turn right on Courtney -hwy 3-, runs right into KSC).  Parking there is plentiful.  You can buy your tickets for KSC online on their website.  You have the car available then to go to someplace fun for dinner.  I wouldn't try to eat at the restaurants at the port (although Junkanoo is fantastic) because that is where all your shipmates are going to eat!!  With kids, I'd say give the 4th Street Fillin' Station in Cocoa Beach.  It's an outdoor area, and there are kids and dogs all the time.  A Giant Jenga game among the tables.  Good kiddo fare, really good adult fare and an amazing beer list.  

• Like 1

We have a 9 hour stop in Port Canaveral. We'd love to go to KSC but it would cost 300 for the 4 of us (not much cheaper if Uber and get our own tickets), and my kids are young enough that I don't think they'd even remember it. WDW seems pointless since we'd only be there for a few hours and the cost would be outrageous. We're meeting some family as well coming from Orlando, we might just end up hitting up Cocoa Beach. Any other suggestions for young kids? How is the Dinosaur Store?