Has anyone done Blue Lagoon?

rcandkc

We will be in Reykjavik in June.  Last time we were there we explored town.  We did several stops in Iceland so saw lots of countryside.  So, we were thinking of experiencing the Blue Lagoon this time.  Wondering if anyone has done this and their opinion.  Thank you. 

It is a large complex. It is a series of man made rock lined pools. You need to book in advance and there are several levels for $50 Euros for basic entrance to hundreds for "spa experience."  It is a good drive from downtown about 30-40 minutes.  DW says the water was tough on her hair-bring lots of good conditioner.  The experience is kind of like swimming the the Dead Sea; one and done.

J

• Thanks 1

It is a Regent excursion so have no idea what level of booking.  I’ve read wearing a plastic cap can help protect hair.  I’m not comfortable with communal nude showering required before entering but have read they have some showers with doors for us prudes. 

Yes they have lockers for your clothes.  You get a band for your wrist to access it.  Just don’t lose it.  Heavy fine.  On Regent experience, you also get a free drink in the lagoon.  Enjoyed the excursion, but a little to long to stay in a pool.

• Like 1

And just because, the lagoon is shallow enough to stand in - I'm short about 5' and had no problem walking around the area.

Also, no privacy changing in/out of a bathing suit. There may be some enclosed areas but I didn't see them. It's no big deal but better to know than not!

Peggy

15 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

And just because, the lagoon is shallow enough to stand in - I'm short about 5' and had no problem walking around the area.

Also, no privacy changing in/out of a bathing suit. There may be some enclosed areas but I didn't see them. It's no big deal but better to know than not!

Peggy

😳at 30 ok..now on Medicare with RA..not so much.  

If you're going with a Regent excursion, remember the ship's demographics. Everyone has a little gravity and sag, so all are in the same boat. And there are places in the shower area a bit more private than others. 

It was a fun excursion, and was very relaxing. Our excursion went early in the day, before it got crowded.

• Like 1

rcandkc, we went with my daughter who has RA.  She felt the hot spots in the lagoon really loosened up her joints after the plane ride.  (We did a land tour of Iceland, hit the BL on the way from the airport day one.)  Not sure if the Regent excursion includes lunch but the restaurant was wonderful!  There are other more "authentic" public baths/hot springs experiences in other towns, but Blue Lagoon is still fun.  I skipped a cap and instead combed conditioner through my hair, then twisted it up with a clip.  This kept it from getting fried by the water.  

2 hours ago, Fa-Li said:

rcandkc, we went with my daughter who has RA.  She felt the hot spots in the lagoon really loosened up her joints after the plane ride.  (We did a land tour of Iceland, hit the BL on the way from the airport day one.)  Not sure if the Regent excursion includes lunch but the restaurant was wonderful!  There are other more "authentic" public baths/hot springs experiences in other towns, but Blue Lagoon is still fun.  I skipped a cap and instead combed conditioner through my hair, then twisted it up with a clip.  This kept it from getting fried by the water.  

Well we will have long travel day next day which is always difficult for me, so loosening up before sounds good.  If you put all that in your hair do you then wait to get to ship to wash out or do people take showers before and after lagoon?  I’m still concerned about changing in “public”. 

I looked at the tour to the Blue Lagoon on the Grand Arctic cruise next June and no lunch is mentioned. It is a 4 hour tour.

Indecently, I was there last summer - another line/ship - and getting changed publicly was not a big deal - everyone is concerned with themselves and not paying attention to any one else.

Peggy

20 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

I looked at the tour to the Blue Lagoon on the Grand Arctic cruise next June and no lunch is mentioned. It is a 4 hour tour.

Indecently, I was there last summer - another line/ship - and getting changed publicly was not a big deal - everyone is concerned with themselves and not paying attention to any one else.

Peggy

Yes, our tour is 4 hours. Next day fly home.  We are signed up but still shaky.  Can’t go and give it try if I don’t go and see. 

We were in Iceland in August and went to the Blue Lagoon.  It was a fun experience. They do have doors on the showers and they do have lockers. There were a few private rooms you could go inside to change if you don't want to change in front of the others.  The standard admission comes with one free drink and one silica face mask.  

On 10/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, rcandkc said:

We will be in Reykjavik in June.  Last time we were there we explored town.  We did several stops in Iceland so saw lots of countryside.  So, we were thinking of experiencing the Blue Lagoon this time.  Wondering if anyone has done this and their opinion.  Thank you. 

We'll be on the cruise with you.  I booked the Bathing at the Blue Lagoon excursion because it just looks too good to pass up.  Since we overnight in Reykjavik I actually considered going out there to spend the night.  Then I checked the price of the hotel and decided..."gee...ship looks pretty good."  😳

But it seems like a fun excursion, especially since it's included at no additional cost.  Hope to see you on board and at the lagoon (but not in the shower).  😎 

Edited by papaflamingo

We were there a year ago, June, at the end of the Regent NYC-Reykavik cruise.  We were staying at a downtown hotel.  We arranged for a bus to get us back and forth, through the Blue Lagoon website.  It was either free or at a nominal charge.  Also, we stayed for dinner at their restaurant.  The food and service were terrific.  We at past 65 and had no trouble with the entire experience.  No-one bothered us when we were changing and the showers were private.  Also you can swim up and try different skin treatments that were wonderful on the face.  The drinks were fun, but not too strong.  I would totally recommend the Blue Lagoon when you are in Iceland.