Review of Seaview Yacht Club Mediterranean Cruise 9/28-10/5, 2019

Host Jazzbeau

Just now, WonderMan3 said:

“Claims” 🙄🙄🙄🙄

And people wonder why I haven’t posted a final review of my cruises...

I noticed that too.  I never said it – and never thought it.  Your review was wonderfully balanced, and I tried to make clear at the outset that on the points where our impressions differ I believe that you are 100% correct for your experience and your expectations.  Let's be generous and hope this was just inartful wording.  [And I am still interested in reading your final review.]

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 12:36 AM, WonderMan3 said:

“Claims” 🙄🙄🙄🙄

And people wonder why I haven’t posted a final review of my cruises...

Dear Wonder, You are one of the finest posters/ reviewers on the CC boards. Please take the advice of Winston Churchill when he said " I'd rather argue against a hundred idiots, than have one agree with me."  I certainly take this advice whenever I post anything on these boards.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, glittergal1 said:

Thank you for your review a true pleasure to read. I love MSC and all it offers and the more you cruise with them the more you get use to Italian disorganisation 😃 you just learn to  go with the flow and have another prosecco .

We normally cruise with Non Yacht club but this November we have been upgraded to YC deck 18 so it will be very interesting to experience it. We cruised non YC the same time last November but a different itinerary 

So pleased you didnt encounter the issues Wonderman claims to have.

Can I ask though were there cushions on the sun loungers on the pool deck 

Wow. “Claims” to have? Really? I guess it’s nice when all comments are positive. Some just can’t handle criticism of their favorite cruise line. 

@Host Jazzbeau

TY for your great review. we are very much encouraged!

We'd like to do a long sail in the med or a B2B in YC and haven't found the right thing yet with MSC...so perhaps this sailing and some land time would be a good choice!

Loved your detailed review--and am saving it for future reference as we like to DIY and spend time in the churches as you do

Be blessed!

Cheers

fog

12 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

@Host Jazzbeau

TY for your great review. we are very much encouraged!

We'd like to do a long sail in the med or a B2B in YC and haven't found the right thing yet with MSC...so perhaps this sailing and some land time would be a good choice!

Loved your detailed review--and am saving it for future reference as we like to DIY and spend time in the churches as you do

Be blessed!

Cheers

fog

It's hard to do a true B2B on MSC because their ships tend to do the same loop over and over.  @WonderMan3 managed the near thing by changing from one MSC ship to another but even then they had some duplicate ports.  The up side is that MSC let's you start/end your cruise at several places along the loop – Barcelona is always worth time, and Rome is another choice.  Cheers

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's hard to do a true B2B on MSC because their ships tend to do the same loop over and over.  @WonderMan3 managed the near thing by changing from one MSC ship to another but even then they had some duplicate ports.  The up side is that MSC let's you start/end your cruise at several places along the loop – Barcelona is always worth time, and Rome is another choice.  Cheers

We had hoped to blend east/west to avoid the dups  but the ships on the eastern routes dont have YC

On 10/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That should get fixed as they bring more new ships to the US.

We'd like to do eastern med/greek islands and a western med B2B...

Right now we can't find 2 ships with B2B in YC nor a ship that does one - then the other B2B...

Looking at 2 itineraries on Regent...as they are all suites and a smaller ship

35 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We'd like to do eastern med/greek islands and a western med B2B...

Right now we can't find 2 ships with B2B in YC nor a ship that does one - then the other B2B...

Looking at 2 itineraries on Regent...as they are all suites and a smaller ship

I don't like Regent's policy of including shore excursions – prefer the flexibility and value of third-party ones through CC roll calls – and I'm put off by all the in-fighting on the Regent forum here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't like Regent's policy of including shore excursions – prefer the flexibility and value of third-party ones through CC roll calls – and I'm put off by all the in-fighting on the Regent forum here.

Well they are a high end inclusive line... though we most often do DIY or independent touring...

It can be nice to have door to door service and pampering

As far as whatever threads you are talking about--- I haven't read them

I suspect it happens in many forums where people preach from the rarefied air of their towers 

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Dear Jazz, I value your observations. What if we do not take any advantage of any shore excursions and just stay on the ship. How would you relate Regent to MSC Yacht Club? We did not get off this ship either.

3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Jazz, I value your observations. What if we do not take any advantage of any shore excursions and just stay on the ship. How would you relate Regent to MSC Yacht Club? We did not get off this ship either.

That's the problem with the Regent and Viking Ocean model IMHO – the cruise fare includes the cost of all the included excursions.  If you don't take them, I feel that you have overpaid [and that would affect my enjoyment -  YMMV].  I haven't sailed Regent so don't really know how nice it would be as a floating spa – that's not really our cruising style [we're more go-go-go, but on our own].  If that's what you're looking for, that is a definite question to check on – some cruise lines don't have many activities during port days [Celebrity doesn't even open their suites restaurant for lunch on port days!]

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I feel that you have overpaid

Thanks, now I feel I am overpaying on any cruise I take. DW is school teacher and we are limited to only peak cruising season, thus peak prices on suite cabins with adequate balconies.  I guess I should not think too much about all the other amenities provided by these floating hotels that we do not take advantage of as well, like spas and activities that you mentioned. DW limits my alcohol intake to 2 glasses of wine with dinner and she only drinks flat bottled water, so my 'included beverage package' is a waste by some measure as well. Hell, if I keep this up I will 'price' myself out of cruising all together. But she looks forward to them. "What ever Lola wants, Lola gets."

Thanks for a moment on the CC 'couch'....better than a "shrink" and the 'price is right'.

3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Thanks, now I feel I am overpaying on any cruise I take. DW is school teacher and we are limited to only peak cruising season, thus peak prices on suite cabins with adequate balconies.  I guess I should not think too much about all the other amenities provided by these floating hotels that we do not take advantage of as well, like spas and activities that you mentioned. DW limits my alcohol intake to 2 glasses of wine with dinner and she only drinks flat bottled water, so my 'included beverage package' is a waste by some measure as well. Hell, if I keep this up I will 'price' myself out of cruising all together. But she looks forward to them. "What ever Lola wants, Lola gets."

Thanks for a moment on the CC 'couch'....better than a "shrink" and the 'price is right'.

Many others have complained that all-inclusive drinks is a wasted expense for them.  That's why I don't equate 'luxury' with 'all-inclusive' – but OTOH many feel that luxury should include being pampered and feeling special, which is ruined by having to whip our your credit card for every request.  Chacun à son goût.