Luggage for a 33 day cruise

compman9

Hi everyone

Not sailed with MSC before but are considering  a pre-Christmas trip from Rome to Cape Town next year

My question is how formal would a trip of this length be? What sort of luggae would we need?

many thanks n advance

57 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Hi everyone

Not sailed with MSC before but are considering  a pre-Christmas trip from Rome to Cape Town next year

My question is how formal would a trip of this length be? What sort of luggae would we need?

many thanks n advance

Dress code, etc will be the same as a shorter, or longer, cruise. Elegant nights, theme nights (white, 70s/Flower Power, etc), smart casual nights, regular casual clothes for day.  What luggage you take is entirely up to you, some like Samsonite, some like Away, some like TravelGuard, etc.  How much entirely depends on your packing habits, laundry packages or not, airline fees, and so forth..

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

Hi everyone

many thanks n advance

It's somewhere between a day trip to Dreamland and vernissage in the Turner Contemporary. Its formal as you want to make it, you will see in the MDR everything from smart casual to full blown pinguine suits, it comes down to want you will comfortable in, after all it is YOUR cruise.

Luggage, either soft or hard case, but sturdy, suitcases get knocked about a lot, we always use a suitcase cover (bright colours) saves the suitcase from some wear and tear and also makes them more easily identifiable when collecting them at airports. I always take a photo of them on my mobile incase they get lost.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:55 PM, compman9 said:

My question is how formal would a trip of this length be?

The real question is 'how do you envision yourselves ?' Are you Lord and Lady Uppercrust? Or heading out to a 'mosh pit' event? The length of the trip is insignificant.

• Haha 1

Hi everyone

many thanks n advance

Good morning

If we were doing this sailing (sounds AMAZING) DH would pack for evening a dark suit as well as a sport coat, several dress shirts and ties. We like to "dress" for dinner as part of the fun. We haven't done theme parties before so knowing this in advance I would likely make sure he had a white shirt to go with dark dress jeans and maybe an aloha type of shirt for any tropical/flower/70s thing so it would be only 1 extra item.

He'd had enough casual wear for a week. 

For me, I'd pack 4-5 dresses for dinner... We recently did a B2B and I wore the dresses in rotation 2-3 times during our sailings.

With a voyage of the 30+ length I'd be sure I had a black dress and some scarves, a strand of "pearls" and such so I could mix it up. I'd pack casual wear for a week.

For theme things I'd likely look for a tropical aloha dress and a white dress... (sales of summer items etc)

We'd plan on layers for weather and a light rain jacket for daywear

If this voyage is assembled from a couple of itineraries, you aren't going to see the same people for 33 days unless many do the full sailing as you are... and even then-- well traveled folks learn to not overpack. No one is "judging" you for wearing the same jacket/tie or the same little black dress.

We'd plan on using the ship laundry to wash jeans/khakis and launder/press DHs dress shirts etc. I'd do my delicates hand washing in the room. 

I am certain we could do this with 1 large-ish duffle and a carry on per person

Edited by Fogfog

Hi everyone

many thanks n advance

We did 29 nights on Splendida in March/April and on the longer cruises people don’t dress up as we from UK know it. A light suit or jacket for gents and skirts/ trousers with sparkly tops or nice blouse for ladies.  I would look to buy the laundry package for the trip and just hand wash undies.

You say pre Xmas does it cover Xmas/New Year that may be a bit more formal.