Sojourn - Caribbean: When your vacation plans get trumped

Emperor Norton

43 minutes ago, Emperor Norton said:

Was told they can’t enforce either the chair hog rules or the dress code (jeans every night in the restaurant). 

Also noticed Formal optional is now just called Formal (in name only).

Edited by mraven

38 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I've prepared myself for the cruise to be slightly 'unusual', especially the first segment. Um, I'm trying to be diplomatic here...

We've taken several Caribbean cruises with Seabourn over Christmas/NY previously and I expect this one to be rather unlike the others and probably quite an eye opener. 

I'll leave it there!

I'm agog as to how it might be 'unusual' (apart from us being on it of course 😉)

We've not done the Caribbean with SB so it will be interesting !  (still not got our OB suite allocation, perhaps we'll be down in the bilges!)

1 minute ago, Mauzac said:

I'm agog as to how it might be 'unusual' (apart from us being on it of course 😉)

We've not done the Caribbean with SB so it will be interesting !  (still not got our OB suite allocation, perhaps we'll be down in the bilges!)

Our other friends still haven't got theirs either. No clue how SB allocates, but looking back at our GTY experiences, the later the suite allocation the higher the grade, eg V6 on deck 8, so perhaps you're safe from being in the bilges! 

I'll wait to read Emperor Norton's possible comments about whether he's finding his own cruise 'unusual' or not!! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Our other friends still haven't got theirs either. No clue how SB allocates, but looking back at our GTY experiences, the later the suite allocation the higher the grade, eg V6 on deck 8, so perhaps you're safe from being in the bilges! 

I'll wait to read Emperor Norton's possible comments about whether he's finding his own cruise 'unusual' or not!! 

Too late to edit my post but just now have the phrase I was looking for.🤔

I think that the demographic may possibly be a younger, more 'party crowd' than is usual. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but we're usually on the younger end of the guests onboard.  We're aware that Seabourn (along with the other luxury lines) is trying to attract younger guests so it will be interesting. 

Emperor Norton, is the crowd younger than usual for SB?

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack and reply to Mauzac and Isklaar here... 8 days until our Sojourn cruise starts and no suite for us either! Seabourn now shows that our cruise went from sold out to having lots of V1s available but no higher level verandas. I'm thinking Seabourn upgraded those who booked V1s so they could save the "bilges" for us!

Back to the topic... Emperor Norton, please do keep posting about your cruise. Especially about the islands you visit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alithecat said:

Congratulations Mauzac! I just logged on and still see Suite: OB. How did you find out Mauzac?

I logged into SB and my booking and there it was!   I do think it happened because of my incessant logging on 😂

(Apologies Emperor Norton for somewhat hijacking your thread.  Hope you are having a good time 😀)

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

Emperor - were shuttles really needed between the docks and main part of these towns?  If so they should certainly have been provided. 

I have the impression that Caribbean cruises attract a slightly different demographic - and I suppose that Thanksgiving week is a school holiday in the US?  I admit that if I wanted to cruise in that area I would tend to wait until Jan/Feb., which I think would be after the possible hurricane season.

No shuttles needed but IIRC someone asked in a previous thread (however Phillipsburg could probably use one - it was ~5.5 miles r/t to the end of the boardwalk. 

I’m thinking the “cheap” rates may also be adding to the odd. In the other hand I’ve n ver seen so many poor tattoos on pax on Seabourn before. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Emperor Norton said:

Seems the double and triple caviar orders piled up these evening. Also they’ve found the Observation bar. Need barricades. 

I feel for the crew.

🤐  

As an aside, I always enjoy your photos in your 'Live From' threads. Any chance of a few more?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emperor Norton said:

Seems the double and triple caviar orders piled up these evening. Also they’ve found the Observation bar. Need barricades. 

Your description is why we have not booked SB cruises in the Caribbean.  While not geriatric (yet), I not a party person.  

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Your description is why we have not booked SB cruises in the Caribbean.  While not geriatric (yet), I not a party person.  

I must say, I find reports to date a little disappointing. We'll be on our first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey in March and we were looking forward to a more refined/relaxed experience then we've experienced on a mainline cruise line.  Although we too are in our 40s, we've never been part of that "if it's included I want as much of it as possible as often as possible and who cares what my incessant monopolizing demand on people or resources means for others' enjoyment" crowd. It's why we stopped cruising a few years ago altogether.

We were looking forward to a nice relaxing pre-/post-dinner cocktail in the Observation Bar or just people watching at the Sky Bar.  I realize every cruise is different, but I'm guessing my 14day in March (spring break/family vacations) will be more like this cruise than it will be like the cruises in Jan/Feb.  I'm sure the fact that they sell the cruises in 7 day segments doesn't help these demographics much either. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

6 hours ago, Navis said:

I must say, I find reports to date a little disappointing. We'll be on our first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey in March and we were looking forward to a more refined/relaxed experience then we've experienced on a mainline cruise line.  Although we too are in our 40s, we've never been part of that "if it's included I want as much of it as possible as often as possible and who cares what my incessant monopolizing demand on people or resources means for others' enjoyment" crowd. It's why we stopped cruising a few years ago altogether.

We were looking forward to a nice relaxing pre-/post-dinner cocktail in the Observation Bar or just people watching at the Sky Bar.  I realize every cruise is different, but I'm guessing my 14day in March (spring break/family vacations) will be more like this cruise than it will be like the cruises in Jan/Feb.  I'm sure the fact that they sell the cruises in 7 day segments doesn't help these demographics much either. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Navis, Seabourn is a wonderful cruise line and absolutely is more refined and relaxed than the mass cruise lines (from what I hear--I've only sailed SB and Silversea).  I've always been concerned that the Caribbean itineraries would be as Emperor Norton describes.  

And to substantiate the point of SLSD, I would repeat that all cruises are different in terms of vibe. We have been on Odyssey for a month including the transatlantic with lots of regulars and then 2 one weekers so far. No bad behavior at all if you discount one family with 3 boys last week who ran up and down and, like their parents, liked to holler and talk very loudly around the ship. (Another family, I believe South American, had 2 lovely little girls and they were just a delight.)

One repetitive event which I guess we have learned to live with, sorta, is the first evening when very loud people seem to project their tiresome stories of their airline woes on others at the Observation Bar. If only they would take it all to the Sky Bar outside or fast forward the realisation that nobody else cared. Anyway, we have found that predinner the Club with its soulful sounds trio more to our liking most evenings.

And the highlight: we cannot rave enough about the Carambola and Saline Bay beach days. HD Peppi, F&B Altin, Bar Mgr Viktoria and all the crew have exceeded themselves time and again!

We head over to Capt Roberts’ Sojourn next week. We will see who’s who and I guess who’s left there/still there soon enough.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

I think it highly likely that Caribbean cruises, especially 7 day ones, will usually attract a younger, maybe more 'partying' crowd that the usual Seabourn regulars.  If the Christmas cruise is a longer one, without the possibility of dividing it, then that should not apply so much.

We were on a Seadream ship years ago when there were a few people who asked for caviar nearly all day,  because they could, and shortly after that it became chargeable except for the odd occasion.  It is a shame when a few thoughtless idiots spoil things for everyone else.

• Like 1

And the one week cruises attract lots of newbies which is good for Seabourn in terms of expanding its market presence. Cost considerations also enter into the “who goes where and when”. The Christmas cruise is considerably more expensive per day than November cruises in the Caribbean. Throw into the mix the mix of passengers on the cruises that start/end in Miami vs those that start/end in St Martin or Barbados. You may well get a different mix. This season it is Sojourn and Odyssey, respectively.

The contrasts will be interesting, to say the least; we expect lots of regulars on the Christmas cruise.

• Like 1

Very surprising to hear about the informality and demographic of this cruise.

We sailed on Odyssey the first two weeks of January this past year and the average age was typical for Seabourn. The 

first week was primarily Germans and Americans ( we embarked from St. Martin) while the second week was populated with 

British citizens- The access of flights from LHR to Barbados is relatively reasonable. Many, if not most, were retired and looking for relaxation after the holidays.

I have noticed that the current on-line fares are quite inexpensive which may be a factor in attracting a younger group. The all -inclusive rate can be very attractive to those who plan to “indulge”.

Fortunately  we did not experience that “party atmosphere” - that is not why we sail the smaller lines. Lower fares can be a double-edged sword.

11 hours ago, markham said:

And to substantiate the point of SLSD, I would repeat that all cruises are different in terms of vibe. We have been on Odyssey for a month including the transatlantic with lots of regulars and then 2 one weekers so far. No bad behavior at all if you discount one family with 3 boys last week who ran up and down and, like their parents, liked to holler and talk very loudly around the ship. (Another family, I believe South American, had 2 lovely little girls and they were just a delight.)

One repetitive event which I guess we have learned to live with, sorta, is the first evening when very loud people seem to project their tiresome stories of their airline woes on others at the Observation Bar. If only they would take it all to the Sky Bar outside or fast forward the realisation that nobody else cared. Anyway, we have found that predinner the Club with its soulful sounds trio more to our liking most evenings.

And the highlight: we cannot rave enough about the Carambola and Saline Bay beach days. HD Peppi, F&B Altin, Bar Mgr Viktoria and all the crew have exceeded themselves time and again!

We head over to Capt Roberts’ Sojourn next week. We will see who’s who and I guess who’s left there/still there soon enough.

Markam, We remember Viktoria from several cruises back and she was wonderful.  Also, there is something to be said for regulars and we enjoyed meeting a number of them, including you, on the Kobe to Vancouver route.  We find ourselves hoping to see them again.  

As for every Seabourn cruise having its own vibe, you are so right.  A  few years ago, we took a Mediterranean itinerary (it was our first SB cruise) and the passengers were exactly as we expected-- genteel, well educated, interesting, and well mannered in all respects.  I took the vibe of that cruise totally for granted.  On our 2018 Baltic itinerary, the atmosphere was somewhat similar, but changed markedly for the last seven days which was also sold as a separate segment.  The change fascinated me at the time and I got in a bit of hot water here talking about it.  I'm more careful and more guarded in what I say now.  Then, there was the Kobe to Vancouver cruise which had all kinds of different people on it--and a totally different vibe from the earlier SB cruises.  I have to admit--I find myself wondering, which routes will have the greatest likelihood of duplicating the vibe from that first Mediterranean cruise?  

Edited by SLSD

Bare feet in the Observation bar for tea time. Sadly more people are discovering it exists. 

TK was good. I saw an officer dining in there which I thought they didn’t allow.  Sommelier didn’t know how to use a wine pull. 

Chef Jes is aboard for the roll out of new menus/chargers (starts today at tea time). 

2 hours ago, Emperor Norton said:

Bare feet in the Observation bar for tea time. Sadly more people are discovering it exists. 

TK was good. I saw an officer dining in there which I thought they didn’t allow.  Sommelier didn’t know how to use a wine pull. 

Chef Jes is aboard for the roll out of new menus/chargers (starts today at tea time). 

Lucky having Chef Jes aboard. I wonder if he could be tempted to stay through the holidays!