Carnival Dream Man overboard

keywest1

I really wish the media would stop with the "Fell off of Cruise Ship" headlines.

There is NO WAY anyone "Falls off" a ship.  There has to be some asinine behavior, assault or intentions of self-harm invoked to get overboard.

I grieve for the family of this person.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

I really wish the media would stop with the "Fell off of Cruise Ship" headlines.

There is NO WAY anyone "Falls off" a ship.  There has to be some asinine behavior, assault or intentions of self-harm invoked to get overboard.

Technically, there is a difference.  Falling off means that they were doing something asinine and fell.  The intentions of self-harm would be jumping off.  

Either way, I agree and grieve for the family.  Such a waste.

4 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I'm sure someone on here will blame the "Cheers" package!!

If they do let's remind them Cheers doesn't start until the next day on sailings from here in Galveston.

Senseless tragedy all the same.

• Like 1

If not intoxicated, I'd speculate there were "family issues" that created a reason for the man jumping.  Maybe premeditated.  Not for us to mock but shows that if someone decides to take their own life, so often nothing can be done to prevent it.  Even taller balcony rails.

• Like 1

This is so sad - We are departing out of Galveston in 3 weeks, and it makes me sad that those passengers not only have had their vacation disrupted because the ship has to search for the missing passenger (I believe they ship was on its way back in) and none of the passengers have any idea what is going on -  but also that poor family/friends wondering where their member is, what happened, why - Its just a bad deal all the way around 😞

Prayers for the family and the rescue operations people.

Edited by marci4tony

3 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

I cannot agree more.  The rails are high enough that if you "fall" off the ship, it was stupidity or intentional.  My mother was terrified to cruise because of these types of stories, then her first cruise made the comment, "You have to be stupid or crazy to fall".

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

This is so sad - We are departing out of Galveston in 3 weeks, and it makes me sad that those passengers not only have had their vacation disrupted because the ship has to search for the missing passenger (I believe they ship was on its way back in) and none of the passengers have any idea what is going on -  but also that poor family/friends wondering where their member is, what happened, why - Its just a bad deal all the way around 😞

Prayers for the family and the rescue operations people.

The Dream was leaving Galveston when this happened. 

Prayers for the family. 

• Like 2

From a technical standpoint, to jump from a balcony on the Dream would land you on the deck 5 walkway. So either he jumped from a "cove balcony" on 2 or over the rail on 5. Not that details like this matter...

"Thursday evening, a guest went overboard from Carnival Dream while the ship was sailing from Galveston. Based on camera footage, it appears the guest jumped from his stateroom balcony."

https://abc13.com/missing-carnival-cruise-ship-passenger-appears-to-have-jumped/5645425/

So sad. He must had some bad things going on in his life. I hope they find him, alive.

1 hour ago, wms99 said:

From a technical standpoint, to jump from a balcony on the Dream would land you on the deck 5 walkway. So either he jumped from a "cove balcony" on 2 or over the rail on 5. Not that details like this matter...

There are spots at the front and back of the ship where Deck 5 narrows to only a few feet wide. In that instance, one could clear and hit the water.

7 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I'm sure someone on here will blame the "Cheers" package!! 

I had a funny conversation last month on the Fascination with a group of guys in their 20s.  We were all standing in line for Guys Burgers when one of them had to balance themself on the waiting line rail & he turned around and apologized for his condition. He proceeded to spill his drink (thankfully water at that point) all over the rail/floor.  As we walked away from each other after getting food I advised him to avoid the ship’s deck railing until he sobered up.  He thanked me & agreed.  

A cruise ship ship is one of the few places it’s ok to totally let loose but you still have to keep your wits about you.

A few weeks ago on the Victory I thought we were going to be in a man overboard situation. Starting about 4am, they were calling for a missing passenger to contact guest services over all the public speakers. Around 5am, they started making the announcement in all quest cabins also. They would call for the passenger about every 15 minutes until somewhere around 7:30 when it stopped. You could here the concern in the tone of the person's voice making the announcements. We found out from another passenger that they were doing room to room searches and had come in there cabin to search closets, under the bed and in the shower. The passenger was 26 and found in another persons cabin. Never heard anymore details, but since she didn't contact guest services with her name being called for several hours, I suspect alcohol may have been a factor. Luckily she was found safe, but her family must have been panicked for several hours.

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

"Thursday evening, a guest went overboard from Carnival Dream while the ship was sailing from Galveston. Based on camera footage, it appears the guest jumped from his stateroom balcony."

https://abc13.com/missing-carnival-cruise-ship-passenger-appears-to-have-jumped/5645425/

So sad. He must had some bad things going on in his life. I hope they find him, alive.

Considering this is the cast the majority of the time these incidents occur, I am not sure why people feel the need to post a thread about it everytime it happens....

• Like 3

Some years ago there was a report  in the news of someone commiting suicide by setting them selves of fire , it seemed that for a period of time afterwards that there was a few suicides by the same method .Now we are seeing reports  about people jumping overboard, it may be people who are suicidal are influenced , for want of a better word , to choose a method that has been brought to their  attention

Very sad , you have to be in a very very place to do this

7 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Fox News just said he "jumped" from a balcony as seen on cameras.  26-years old and traveling with family.

Out of almost twenty cruises-eighteen were balcony (seventh deck or higher) and on every cruise I've walked out and looked over the side and wondered, 'Could an average male ( I think most suicides are males) take a strong enough LEAP too clear the deck and distance to propel himself over the deck rail😩'. I know with the balcony chairs, one could climb up on the rail BUT it'd definitely NOT be any form of a 'running start' after that too complete said act. And one has to wonder if the person takes the time too wonder, 'What IF I fall SHORT (by, say 3 feet) and merely break my neck and am paralyzed from the neck down'. I guess if someone's in such a DARK place to think about this act they're not worried about, 'What IF..' the act fails.

Mac

1 hour ago, SmoothFlying said:

Out of almost twenty cruises-eighteen were balcony (seventh deck or higher) and on every cruise I've walked out and looked over the side and wondered, 'Could an average male ( I think most suicides are males) take a strong enough LEAP too clear the deck and distance to propel himself over the deck rail😩'. I know with the balcony chairs, one could climb up on the rail BUT it'd definitely NOT be any form of a 'running start' after that too complete said act. And one has to wonder if the person takes the time too wonder, 'What IF I fall SHORT (by, say 3 feet) and merely break my neck and am paralyzed from the neck down'. I guess if someone's in such a DARK place to think about this act they're not worried about, 'What IF..' the act fails.

Mac

*****???

really!!