Ordering drinks not specifically listed on bar menu - ever denied?

doconner

I've seen the attached 'NCL Beverage List'  posted several times, and there are a few drinks on there that I'd like to try.   I'm wondering however if there have been situations where someone has tried to order off-menu at a bar before and the bartender not knowing or not being willing to make the drink?

The only time it's happen to me was when I attempted to order a mudslide on the rocks (basically all the ingredients of a mudslide but with cubed ice instead of blended ice) and the bartender wouldn't make it, though I'm not sure why.  However, I've never tried anything from the list that is a more esoteric like a Gunner G&T.

I don't really want to order something that I've never had before, and have the bartender ask me whats in it, but I would like to try some different drinks I've never had before.

Also, I don't see a simple 'chocolate martini' on this list, is that something that would readily be made if ordered?

NCL_Beverage_List.pdf

The “NCL Beverage List” is something someone has put together. You can order anything you want. You may get the “we don’t make that” which translates to “I have no idea what you’re talking about, so rather than looking dumb, I will tell the customer we don’t make it”. Which could be remedied by a simple description of what you want. 

Some martinis exceed the $15 threshold, so you’ll be paying out of pocket. 

Each boat has some different drinks.  If you know how to make a drink and have a bartender who will work with you (a cash tip helps)  they have been known to be very help full.  Make friends with one or two bartenders at different bars.  Enjoy your trip and nest of luck on getting your special drink.

• Like 1

Find a good, friendly bartender and they will make you anything you want. We didn't find the good one until our last night on our most recent POA cruise. He was awesome. Someone else asked him for a cherry lemon drop - which is essentially a lemon drop but with maraschino cherry juice also added in. I overheard, and asked if he could make a second for me.

We got to chatting, I said I prefer sweeter/fruitier drinks, and he made me some martinis that were amazing. I don't remember what was in it, but he had to ask someone else to get a bottle from another bar to make it, and we used the rest of it up. Left to go to dinner and told him we would be back. As soon as he saw us he started making us something new to try completely off the menu. Left him a $10 cash tip and his eyes lit up as if we had given him a $100. 

Like I said, we were only disappointed that it took that long to find him. But yes, be friendly, find the fun bartenders that like to test their skills and not just stick to the limited menu in front of them and you'll have a great time. Tell them what you like and they'll make something for you if you don't know exactly what you want.

12.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 3

I've had bartenders outright refuse to make certain drinks on NCL a few times... Grass Clippings, which is one of my all time favorite drinks, used to be made on a "per drink" basis... They have now started using pre-mixed batches, for the sake of expediency. I politely asked if he could make one, and the bartender basically said that it was the "batch or nothing..." So, I walked away and never visited that particular bar again. On other occasions, I've asked for certain drinks to be made with a particular brand of alcohol other than was listed on the menu, and was also refused, saying "we are only allowed to make the drink as it appears on the menu..." Anyhoo, never visited that bar again either...

• Like 1

The only time it has happened to me was the Gem this past January. I asked for a Paloma (grapefruit juice or soda and tequila) and the bartender said NO Palomas here! It was at the poolside bar and I had been drinking them all week everywhere else. I think he just didn’t know what I was asking for but he was in such a hurry that I didn’t bother explaining. I also had an issue with getting silver tequila and club soda. Half the time I would get gold tequila 😑 No thanks. 

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I've had bartenders outright refuse to make certain drinks on NCL a few times... Grass Clippings, which is one of my all time favorite drinks, used to be made on a "per drink" basis... They have now started using pre-mixed batches, for the sake of expediency. I politely asked if he could make one, and the bartender basically said that it was the "batch or nothing..." So, I walked away and never visited that particular bar again. On other occasions, I've asked for certain drinks to be made with a particular brand of alcohol other than was listed on the menu, and was also refused, saying "we are only allowed to make the drink as it appears on the menu..." Anyhoo, never visited that bar again either...

Were you successful in getting the drinks made at other bars after being refused?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravitar said:

Were you successful in getting the drinks made at other bars after being refused?

The Grass Clippings is only on the menu at one bar on the away class ships, and I know they have the ingredients to make it... The other incidents occurred at different bars when I tried to order with "upgraded" liquors... 

Generally speaking, I find the pool bars are set up for quick drink turnover.....beer, drinks made with “pre-mixed” mixers or drinks (e.g. Margarita).

I’ve had bartenders make me whatever I wanted, even if I had to tell them how to make it.  Those were usually the smaller, less busy bars, although, I found the Atrium bartenders were willing to make anything I asked for.  That is one of the largest and busiest bars on the ship.

7 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

I ordered a Toro Toro on the Escape last week and was told they don't make that, even though the recipe is on NCL's "official" blog.  I'll carry a printout of the page on my upcoming Bliss cruise.

Toro Toro’s can only be ordered at a few places.  I know Food Republic and the Haven Bar can make them.  

On 10/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, doconner said:

I've seen the attached 'NCL Beverage List'  posted several times, and there are a few drinks on there that I'd like to try.   I'm wondering however if there have been situations where someone has tried to order off-menu at a bar before and the bartender not knowing or not being willing to make the drink?

The only time it's happen to me was when I attempted to order a mudslide on the rocks (basically all the ingredients of a mudslide but with cubed ice instead of blended ice) and the bartender wouldn't make it, though I'm not sure why.  However, I've never tried anything from the list that is a more esoteric like a Gunner G&T.

I don't really want to order something that I've never had before, and have the bartender ask me whats in it, but I would like to try some different drinks I've never had before.

Also, I don't see a simple 'chocolate martini' on this list, is that something that would readily be made if ordered?

NCL_Beverage_List.pdf 5.85 MB · 68 downloads

I have ordered off menue a couple of times.  I asked for an Apple pucker long island (which is a long island tea with apple pucker in place of the Coke) and they were able to make it until my last cruise when the bar said they were out of apple pucker.  I also ordered A sour cherry limetini (cherry vodka with lime juice and  grenadine shaken with ice and poured into a martini glass)  and they tried to make it but they never really were able to achieve the same taste as the drink has at home.

You go to the Meet & Greet party - get friendly with the Food & Beverage Manager - ask or pop the

question about those personal specialty drinks hand crafted at a bar - after a bit of discussion you

should be able to gauge just how far the bartenders can go building your specialty drink with or without charge !

Not on all ships:

Martini tasting - you should find your chocolate martini here -

Whiskey

Scotch

Wine

Recently on the Breakaway, I requested that vodka be used instead of gin for one of the drinks on the menu. Interestingly, the bartender stated that he could NOT do that as the drink had to be made as published.  At first I thought he was joking.  He was not.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, doconner said:

NCL_Beverage_List.pdf 5.85 MB · 76 downloads

They will make a chocolate martini, but you will pay $3.00 plus gratuity.  DW says that it is quite good.

That was at Shakers.  I don't know if you will get one at other bars.

Edited by davy jones

We have gotten the “we only do the published drink “ response once or twice. We go to the whiskey themed bars on the various ships and have good luck with telling the bartenders the ingredients we want in certain drinks. We always tip well per drink and we tell the bartender the recipe rather than just giving the name of the drink. Sometimes I have the recipe written down so they don’t have to remember it if there are more than two or three ingredients. On the Bliss the bartender made my DH his special G&T with 5 different ingredients. After making it twice, he had it down and would start making it every time we walked into the bar.  It helps if you start this process when the bar is a bit less busy.

Mary Ann

My sister and I tried to (drunkenly) get the bartender to make a round of polar bear shots once night (creme de cacao and peppermint schnapps, basically) and he had no clue what we were trying to ask for. We explained it and he concocted us a drink that sort of matched what we wanted (but GREEN, which is not the colour they normally come in, lol). So it seems to depend on who you get as a bartender. Some seem very by-the-book, and others are happy to experiment with whatever they have behind the bar.