Live From The Meraviglia New York to Miami 28th October

nikkiw60

So finally the day has arrived! 
I am starting this live from now as am wide awake still on UK time, it’s just gone 5.30am...

We have just had 2 days in New York staying at the Kimpton Ink 48 which is right by the terminal so we can walk to the port later today, unfortunately our room doesn’t have a view of the terminal but the roof top bar does!

This was the view last night of the Aida sail away, and the Empire State!
For anyone deciding to stay here in the future it is a few block from the nearest subway.

Also worth noting in the evening between 5 and 6 pm they serve complimentary wine in the lobby, and in the morning coffee.

I have  just checked the webcam but no sight yet...

Because of the torrential rain yesterday (we had to buy waterproof jackets) we are going to spend the morning Christmas shopping - as you do in October and then walk to the ship at about 2pm.

As usual I will be posting menus and food pictures on here, we are in an Aurea cabin and have anytime dining in the MDR so anyone wanting to know anything let me know and I will try to answer them.

CCD2F4E5-966F-4C2E-9BC0-F9E1A9BBCD37.jpeg

8E63FD42-C170-4287-B45D-F127C0CE27B6.jpeg

EFFF4C3F-9774-4A5F-BECB-86ED56C44C9E.png

• Like 5

Hi Nikki ... Be interesting to hear about the Aurea dining room and the sun deck which doesn't seem to be in the best of places, we are in one of the front curved balcony suites at Xmas.

Will keep an eye on your thread.

9 minutes ago, sidari said:

Hi Nikki ... Be interesting to hear about the Aurea dining room and the sun deck which doesn't seem to be in the best of places, we are in one of the front curved balcony suites at Xmas.

Morning Dave, we have just got a regular Aurea balcony on deck 14. I will take a few photos of the sun deck, I think we were spoilt with the one on the Seaside.

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

Interesting to read that it looks like others have said the sun deck is not well located. I have never posted such, but agree entirely...when we were on last year, our YC (interior cabin) status enabled entry if desired. We had a wander across one afternoon, and lasted only 15 minutes, as it is completely overhung and not in any way attractive. We thought most who were there looked somewhat disenchanted!

Follow this review as we are interested in the Meraviglia.

But can you take a second or two and tell me what you meant by being spoiled by Seaside's Aurea sundeck/bar?

We are on the Seaside in February and the sundeck/bar was a big selling point.

Have a great cruise!!

The Aurea sundeck/bar on Seaside is a great area, the bar area has covered shade and seating, the Meraviglia sundeck does not have a bar and looks a less desirable place to be.

Seaside and Seaview both have the same great Aurea sundeck.

• Like 1

Happily on board it took about 20 mins crew trying to sell packages but no hard sell. We are in the Sky lounge enjoying the New York Skyline and our next door neighbor the Intrepid. 
Testing the old deluxe drink package.

86203568-04DB-4D6C-A4C3-1D489EA95350.jpeg

A8133E24-6445-4790-8A49-2AFE310EB794.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2

For any one who has not yet done it you have to sail out of New York! The photo opportunities are endless, we set off at just after 7 and it was already dark, the Empire State was sparkling with lights for a few minutes similar to the Eiffel Tours hourly light show. The outside decks were full of people taking photos and just watching the New York Skyline. 

We have booked the Aurea package which gives us anytime dining in the Panorama restaurant so we opted for 8 pm which is between the 2 set times for that restaurant, we were given a table for 2 in the back window area with Ravi for our waiter he asked that if we were happy with him he would try to have us site there for our entire cruise.

When he saw from our cruise card that we had the deluxe drink package he asked if he could choose our wines for us based on what we were eating, we said why not so we had a decent Robert Modavi Chardonnay.

I have decided to put the menus and food photos on a separate thread but to say I had  the bay scallop ceviche which was ok, but the chap on the next table did not like his, I think he was expecting bigger scallops also when asked what was wrong with it he mentioned there being too many onions. The waiter was more than happy to bring him something else. Matt had the spring rolls again which he said were ok.

We both had the grouper which was nice and neither of us had dessert.

The service we had was impeccable.

When we checked in initially we weren’t given wristbands, so I asked  for them.

They don’t work! Obviously we will need to go to guest services or reception at some point but every time we have looked over at this area the line has been so long..

We bumped into Laura and Joe a few times (Grannyofsix) and they mentioned having received their invite to the CC Meet and Mingle which is today at 10 am.. we haven’t received one and being as I was one of the people who sort of arranged it...

It does have a mention in today’s planner somI am just going to turn up!

We have a cabin on deck 14 near Yacht Club and under the edge of the pool, so far it is ok not the biggest cabin they are much bigger on Divina and there is not as much cabin space. The ship is a bit creaky but this is not a problem and we are in the middle of the Atlantic or at least I think that’s where we are! Matts still sleeping so I can’t check with him! The sea is very smooth though.

The muster was funny, ours was in the theatre and at the end the crew were waiting for the message to say it was the end of the drill and everyone was sat there silently ( very unusual for a MSC muster...) until people just gave a round of applause and started to get up to leave! It was as usual in numerous languages but only lasted about half an hour but this was mainly due to a few late arrivals.

We also bumped into a few people off one of the other forums and Liz (Emmasgran) as we were wondering around.

So far the ship is great but massive and impressive, the crew we have met have been lovely and friendly and we are not difficult passengers! We realise we are at sea and we haven’t paid a fortune for this cruise the food so far has been more than acceptable.

Talking of which we had a late light lunch in the buffet, there is a good choice of dishes and the pizza as usual is divine!

What is good about the buffet is that the tables are not close together and there are tables at the back outside which I would love to be able to sit at when we get to warmers seas.

Later I hope we can get to see the Aurea area. Talking of which we went to the spa to book our appointments now this was disappointing! There were hardly an times available except for stupid o clock in the morning or evenings on most days as the people on the back to back had already booked the best times!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

Later I hope we can get to see the Aurea area. Talking of which we went to the spa to book our appointments now this was disappointing! There were hardly an times available except for stupid o clock in the morning or evenings on most days as the people on the back to back had already booked the best times!

They hold back times from being available for the included massages which is unfortunate.  I ran into the same thing when I was on last week in Aurea with the included massage.  However someone next to me who was purchasing a massage on the ship and booking was offered many more times than I was for my “free” massage.  Then I pushed the issue and suddenly a good time was available.

21 hours ago, sidari said:

Nikki ... Interested to hear also how you get on with the Deluxe, we have our last one in December.

Curious about the same thing.  We have our last Deluxe in March...Wondering how they accommodate.

39 minutes ago, slei15 said:

Curious about the same thing.  We have our last Deluxe in March...Wondering how they accommodate.

No problem with the deluxe package I am enjoying the NF champagne and the wine at $11.