Are beverage packages worth the price?

Mrsmac67

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

Don't they still sell the soft drink packages?  Seems that might work better for Mr Mac.  

21 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

They do and the OP is asking specifically about that when referencing the Refreshment package, which on RCI ships is coffee, tea, water, and soda, and nothing alcoholic.

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

At one time they did offer just a soda package at lower rates but that was merged into the expanded Refreshment package, which along with the items I mentioned includes those indicated by SRF.  Basically a non-alcoholic beverage package.  Still rather pricey IMO.

This must have been a very recent change as I still see reference to the classic soda package on RCI's website for like $12.99/day.  

Again, this might be the option for Mr Mac.  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

This must have been a very recent change as I still see reference to the classic soda package on RCI's website for like $12.99/day.  

Again, this might be the option for Mr Mac.  

Yep - you are correct.  $12.99 - $15.00 pp per day. The Refreshment package in discussion has the soda package as a component, but does not replace it.  And you are right - that would be a good option for the OP to consider.

Thanks for clarifying - I was only looking at the Refreshment package.

18 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yep - you are correct.  $12.99 - $15.00 pp per day. The Refreshment package in discussion has the soda package as a component, but does not replace it.  And you are right - that would be a good option for the OP to consider.

Thanks for clarifying - I was only looking at the Refreshment package.

Maybe more for the OP's hubby than the OP.   But even at $15/day, still have to drink a bunch of soda's to make the package worthwhile.  

On 10/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, Mrsmac67 said:

Basically a non drinker, glass of wine occasionally.  I do drink a lot of coffee and hubby drinks Coke.  Wondering if Starbucks on the Allure is part of the Refreshment package; if not are the prices in line with a free standing store.

Jo Ellen

On Allure Starbucks in not included in any package. Prices at the Starbucks kiosk in the promenade are in line with prices at home. You can use a Starbucks gift card at the Starbucks on Allure. If you are in the Starbucks reward program you EARN rewards for your purchase but you can not USE your rewards for purchases onboard. 

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Maybe more for the OP's hubby than the OP.   But even at $15/day, still have to drink a bunch of soda's to make the package worthwhile.  

At $3.50 each, it would be 5 per day.

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Again, the beverage package being discussed by the OP is the Refreshment package, which is the $38 per day per person reference, consists only of non-alcoholic drinks.

The alcohol package on RCI is $89.00 per day per person.  And while it is unlimited drinks, at $1,249 for two per 7-day cruise, that is a lot of $ IMO!

I have never seen the beverage package for $89.  Maybe that is the "price" but it is always on sail.

I just checked, for our Sept 2020 cruise, it is $55 right now.  I normally see is down in the $40s at some point.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

I have never seen the beverage package for $89.  Maybe that is the "price" but it is always on sail.

I just checked, for our Sept 2020 cruise, it is $55 right now.  I normally see is down in the $40s at some point.

You're right that the website shows on board pricing of $63-$89 and that there usually is a pre sail or on board sale going on at some point.  In fairness we've never purchased it as combined my wife and I would never get the value from it, even with $55 level as you indicate - especially as that is per person per day.  

Neither of us are huge drinkers and we usually get our daily limit at the Diamond Club.  (Which I realize is not the case with all).  Our a la carte pricing for the balance of our consumption is far less than even a low sale level would justify.  But that is just our situation that works for us - everyone has a different circumstance.

Appreciate the update on the pricing.

31 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You're right that the website shows on board pricing of $63-$89 and that there usually is a pre sail or on board sale going on at some point.  In fairness we've never purchased it as combined my wife and I would never get the value from it, even with $55 level as you indicate - especially as that is per person per day.  

Neither of us are huge drinkers and we usually get our daily limit at the Diamond Club.  (Which I realize is not the case with all).  Our a la carte pricing for the balance of our consumption is far less than even a low sale level would justify.  But that is just our situation that works for us - everyone has a different circumstance.

Appreciate the update on the pricing.

On previous sailings, I have seen it into the low $40 range.

With a drink being $10 - $12, it only takes 4 per day to make the package pay.

Add in fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast, a latte or cappuccino.  And it is easy to make it pay.  Assuming some sea days.  A port intensive cruise would be more difficult.

Also, we sail in suites (4 point from Diamond), so get the free drinks, but many times, what we want to drink is not on the menu.  With the package, no problem, they just swipe your card and serve whatever you want.

34 minutes ago, SRF said:

On previous sailings, I have seen it into the low $40 range.

With a drink being $10 - $12, it only takes 4 per day to make the package pay.

Add in fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast, a latte or cappuccino.  And it is easy to make it pay.  Assuming some sea days.  A port intensive cruise would be more difficult.

Also, we sail in suites (4 point from Diamond), so get the free drinks, but many times, what we want to drink is not on the menu.  With the package, no problem, they just swipe your card and serve whatever you want.

I guess at $40 it would be worth a second look. 😉  As a complete package there would certain be more flexibility to hit the break even. We always just struggled with the "per person every day" part of it.  There was a time as I'm sure you'll recall when only one in the stateroom had to purchase it.  Under that scenario - especially with on-board sales - it would be no brainer.  But those days are long gone....

That all being said we are on a Celebrity NYE coming up where the bundled price we were able to get has wifi, grats, OBC, and the drink package.  (I know it's all in the price but the price comparison breaking it out still made it worth it).  So will certainly be enjoying the opportunity to put the package to the test, so to speak....

...and congrats when do reach Diamond - sounds like it's just around the cruising corner.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

20 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I guess at $40 it would be worth a second look. 😉  As a complete package there would certain be more flexibility to hit the break even. We always just struggled with the "per person every day" part of it.  There was a time as I'm sure you'll recall when only one in the stateroom had to purchase it.  Under that scenario - especially with on-board sales - it would be no brainer.  But those days are long gone....

That all being said we are on a Celebrity NYE coming up where the bundled price we were able to get has wifi, grats, OBC, and the drink package.  (I know it's all in the price but the price comparison breaking it out still made it worth it).  So will certainly be enjoying the opportunity to put the package to the test, so to speak....

...and congrats when do reach Diamond - sounds like it's just around the cruising corner.

Our last cruise was 6 sea days and 5 port days.  Port days are a little harder, but with OJ and coffee, cocktails and wine with dinner and a show drink you are about break even still.

Plus the convenience of not having to sign a slip and keep up with  the charges on the account.

Actually, what I need to do is, figure out how to get an extra 23 nights on Grandeur before she leaves.  To get a crystal block. 😄

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Actually, what I need to do is, figure out how to get an extra 23 nights on Grandeur before she leaves.  To get a crystal block. 😄

We've had the pleasure of cruising on her 3 times, beginning with her inaugural cruise in 1996 - good ship and crew. That would be a nice one to have since she's leaving the fleet.  Just have to do one of her 12-night Southern Caribbean itineraries out of Baltimore as a B2B and you're there!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just did one in April, and booked for March 2021.

There was a 7 night SE/Bahamas that was $350 per person.  Solo, that is 14 points.  So do it twice, and I am more than there. 😄

We looked at doing the B2B with the 12 night in March, but there are actually two cruises after ours.  I would have done the B2B for sure if it was the last cruise.

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

Just did one in April, and booked for March 2021.

There was a 7 night SE/Bahamas that was $350 per person.  Solo, that is 14 points.  So do it twice, and I am more than there. 😄

We looked at doing the B2B with the 12 night in March, but there are actually two cruises after ours.  I would have done the B2B for sure if it was the last cruise.

...sounds like a plan for sure! 🙂 Enjoy your continued cruising.