Guest choir

OnTheJourney

I was on the Summit recently and didn't get around to going to the choir''s performance since it was scheduled for 8:00 on the final night of the cruise - was busy packing! I think this is a really nice idea to have a choir, but could there possibly be a better time to have them perform then 2 hours before everyone has to have their luggage outside the rooms?  Except that the rehearsals tended to interfere with other activities that we were doing, I was tempted to sign up since I am a choir director and organist in my home church. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

My husband has taken part in a number of Ship’s choirs.

I just arrange my last Sea day to fit in with the performance. 

On one TA the performance was in the afternoon and was included in the concert given by staff.

On other ships it has been between dinner sittings, on the stairs of the Atrium.

24 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Might try it sometime. I watched some youtube videos - recorded accompaniments and primarily unison singing, which is fine with limited rehearsal time. 

We attended the performance which was on the steps by the atrium.  It was lovely.  As an aside, (apologies for being a bit off topic) every time I see another post from you, I am so sorry we did not meet.  We would have had lots to talk about.  I play the piano and the harp.

We have been on cruises where they held the choir in the theater in the afternoon. 

Edited by TeaBag

Very cool...a fellow musician!!  I was a clarinet major in college, but actually play that instrument very little anymore sorry to say. I'm basically guitar, piano, and church organ. I was a public school instrumental music teacher, and since retiring from that have released 3 solo guitar albums. Swore to myself that after I retired I'd start doing music for me rather than always just for 10-11 yr. old kids and their families! 

Yeah...would have been cool to have met. No apologies needed for going off topic...alot more fun than chatting on the run-of-the-mill cruise stuff anyway LOL  There are millions of posts around here that do that 😉 I really considered going down for the performance, but we were really knee deep in final packing at that point. Heard they were going to do 2 selections? Hey Jude and something else, if I'm correct? 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I was on the Summit recently and didn't get around to going to the choir''s performance since it was scheduled for 8:00 on the final night of the cruise - was busy packing! I think this is a really nice idea to have a choir, but could there possibly be a better time to have them perform then 2 hours before everyone has to have their luggage outside the rooms?  Except that the rehearsals tended to interfere with other activities that we were doing, I was tempted to sign up since I am a choir director and organist in my home church. 

OnTheJourney - wow!  I did not know they had "choirs" while at sea.  How fun!

I am also the organist (and choir accompanist), and have been "interim" choir director at my church in Paradise Valley (Scottsdale), Arizona.

Perhaps we will sail on the same cruise someday!  Good to know other organists enjoy cruising!

On 10/29/2019 at 9:22 PM, OnTheJourney said:

What denomination?  

Lutheran - ELCA.  🙂

By the way...the instrument I have is a 4-manual, 34 rank Moller (from Hagerstown, MD).  Pretty interesting to have a conversation like this on Cruise Critic!  🙂

Edited by DENIE

7 hours ago, DENIE said:

Lutheran - ELCA.  🙂

By the way...the instrument I have is a 4-manual, 34 rank Moller (from Hagerstown, MD).  Pretty interesting to have a conversation like this on Cruise Critic!  🙂

4-manual...wow! I grew up Lutheran, and so started playing (as a teen) on a small 2-manual Möller - nowhere close to 34 ranks though. I estimated around 9-10. I'm now Catholic, and so my home parish has a 2-manual Allen Renaissance (year 2000 model). Nice enough, especially with the MIDI division that provides lots of extra voices - some of them quite interesting - but it's NOT a pipe organ. Electronic never will be. They try hard though and I'm sure the technology has come a long way in 19 years. 

Agreed...a bit "off topic" for the usual CC conversations!  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Do they do Guest Choir on all the ships?  Would love to participate but unfortunately, I only sound good in the shower.  Would enjoy watching though.

No idea...this was the first I ever heard of it. I suspect, though not certain, that Celebrity does it on all the ships. There are youtube clips around of the performances. 

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

4-manual...wow! I grew up Lutheran, and so started playing (as a teen) on a small 2-manual Möller - nowhere close to 34 ranks though. I estimated around 9-10. I'm now Catholic, and so my home parish has a 2-manual Allen Renaissance (year 2000 model). Nice enough, especially with the MIDI division that provides lots of extra voices - some of them quite interesting - but it's NOT a pipe organ. Electronic never will be. They try hard though and I'm sure the technology has come a long way in 19 years. 

Agreed...a bit "off topic" for the usual CC conversations!  

Ha!  We are leaving for a cruise on the Constellation this next Tuesday - Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and Malta.  Will have to see if I see any signs of a choir! 🙂