Q about inaugural and first TA sailings

Eli_6

My husband was talking to this man the other day who recently moved to our area from Europe and was an engineer of some sort for a major ship builder. My husband told him we were sailing on the Panorama and the Mardis Gras next year. He was very familiar with the Panorama and said it was an amazing ship and we would love it.  He didn't say anything specifically about the MG but cautioned that many times the ships weren't finished for their inaugural or first TA sailings.  He said workmen would still be completing some of the cabins during those sailings.  Has anyone experienced this? Was it actually an inconvenience in anyway?  

My thought process was even if they had a few unfinished rooms, they probably just close off that part of the ship and don't book those rooms.

My husband is still trying to get out of going on our Mardis Gras TA sailing (my 40th bday present) so he may be exaggerating the inconvenience associated with a ship not being 100 percent finished.  He has been trying to talk me out of it since I booked the cruise on my 39th bday this past July.

If some cabinets are not complete on the sailing date, how would they have known that at the time passengers began booking?  That would concern me.

Our only (somewhat similar?) experience was on the first cruise after a dry-dock.  Things were not complete, rolls of carpet were sitting out on decks awaiting installation, some workmen were onboard, the wait staff wasn't used to working as a team so service in the main dining room was slow, etc.

I will not knowingly book another cruise immediately after return from dry-dock.  Your experience could be different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

My thought process was even if they had a few unfinished rooms, they probably just close off that part of the ship and don't book those rooms.

Except that they book all rooms long before the ship sails. Honestly, I highly doubt cabins are something that they finish last minute. Typically, it’s public areas that they may still be working on during the first sailing(s). Which is why I probably wouldn’t book a new ship for those first few sailings unless I’m prepared to deal with construction or even a cancelled cruise (which happens sometimes).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Except that they book all rooms long before the ship sails. Honestly, I highly doubt cabins are something that they finish last minute. Typically, it’s public areas that they may still be working on during the first sailing(s). Which is why I probably wouldn’t book a new ship for those first few sailings unless I’m prepared to deal with construction or even a cancelled cruise (which happens sometimes).

Oh no. My concern is that because this is out of London, the flights can be almost as much as the cruise. 

There likely will be some things they will be putting the finishing touches on. One cruise right after drydock our fav bartender at the aft pool was still attaching seats to his  barstools at sailing.. Since a bunch of us knew him from other cruises the guys pitched in and got it done in no time.  If your husband is already reluctant about this cruise, and because you don't know how "inconvenient" some last minute things might be, consider rebooking another TA?  I wouldn't  change because I would be expecting such things but sounds like he's not very gung ho anyway?

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, Eli_6 said:

He said workmen would still be completing some of the cabins during those sailings.  Has anyone experienced this? Was it actually an inconvenience in anyway?  

The cabins are modular units that are slid into the ship  during construction.  They slide them in, hook up the plumbing and electrical and they're done.   https://gcaptain.com/how-its-built-cruise-ship-cabins/

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, Eli_6 said:

Oh no. My concern is that because this is out of London, the flights can be almost as much as the cruise. 

I will be on the same cruise. I'm booking flights through Carnival. That way if the cruise is cancelled, they have to cover flights, too.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 1:48 PM, Eli_6 said:

My husband was talking to this man the other day who recently moved to our area from Europe and was an engineer of some sort for a major ship builder. My husband told him we were sailing on the Panorama and the Mardis Gras next year. He was very familiar with the Panorama and said it was an amazing ship and we would love it.  He didn't say anything specifically about the MG but cautioned that many times the ships weren't finished for their inaugural or first TA sailings.  He said workmen would still be completing some of the cabins during those sailings.  Has anyone experienced this? Was it actually an inconvenience in anyway?  

My husband is still trying to get out of going on our Mardis Gras TA sailing (my 40th bday present) so he may be exaggerating the inconvenience associated with a ship not being 100 percent finished.  He has been trying to talk me out of it since I booked the cruise on my 39th bday this past July.

Your Panorama cruise can be considered a shake down cruise. Until the crew gets used to the ship there could be minor problems arising. We are on the Mardi Gras two cruises out of N.Y. Hope things are all  ironed out by then. We are all in, what ever happens, happens. 

Edited by skrufy
Addition

I was on the Vista inaugural sailing.  Yes, there was still some work being done but not in any of the cabins.  When Vista was being built, Carnival had a series of videos on the website showing the progress.  I'm pretty sure the cabins were installed way before the public spaces were furnished.  I can't imagine that there would be cabins not completed.  For all I know, when those "boxes" are loaded onto the ship, they're already completely pre-fabricated with the interior fixtures already in place.  Would think it would make much more sense to do that on land than try to install cabinets and bathroom fixtures later, but who know?

My biggest issue with the ship was that "new ship smell" which is not a good thing for me.  All those new materials were putting out some pretty harsh fumes.  I happened to get a nasty cold, which I believe was made worse than usual because my sinuses were so inflamed by the fumes.

We had a Family OV cabin and I know there was people in those Cove balcony cabins up the hall that were complaining about loud "banging" noises happening constantly, to the point that they couldn't sleep.  I believe that was resolved about mid-way through the sailing (it was 13 nights).  Something to do with pressure in pipes.

I know that I will never go on another inaugural and will also try to avoid ships coming right out of a major refurbishment simply because of the hazardous fumes those materials emit!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Why not spend the 2 weeks in Great Britain or Europe instead for your birthday. 

I have already done that.  I wanted to do something different. I really want to take a Fjords cruise but having trouble finding one that works with our schedule. 

8 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I was on the Vista inaugural sailing.  Yes, there was still some work being done but not in any of the cabins.  When Vista was being built, Carnival had a series of videos on the website showing the progress.  I'm pretty sure the cabins were installed way before the public spaces were furnished.  I can't imagine that there would be cabins not completed.  For all I know, when those "boxes" are loaded onto the ship, they're already completely pre-fabricated with the interior fixtures already in place.  Would think it would make much more sense to do that on land than try to install cabinets and bathroom fixtures later, but who know?

My biggest issue with the ship was that "new ship smell" which is not a good thing for me.  All those new materials were putting out some pretty harsh fumes.  I happened to get a nasty cold, which I believe was made worse than usual because my sinuses were so inflamed by the fumes.

We had a Family OV cabin and I know there was people in those Cove balcony cabins up the hall that were complaining about loud "banging" noises happening constantly, to the point that they couldn't sleep.  I believe that was resolved about mid-way through the sailing (it was 13 nights).  Something to do with pressure in pipes.

I know that I will never go on another inaugural and will also try to avoid ships coming right out of a major refurbishment simply because of the hazardous fumes those materials emit!

This is good to know because I would imagine the MG Transatlantic is going to be a lot like the Vista sailing you were on.  

On 11/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Host Carolyn said:

There likely will be some things they will be putting the finishing touches on. One cruise right after drydock our fav bartender at the aft pool was still attaching seats to his  barstools at sailing.. Since a bunch of us knew him from other cruises the guys pitched in and got it done in no time.  If your husband is already reluctant about this cruise, and because you don't know how "inconvenient" some last minute things might be, consider rebooking another TA?  I wouldn't  change because I would be expecting such things but sounds like he's not very gung ho anyway?

He's not.  And it has gotten worse the closer it gets.  I think the Transatlantic part is what bothers him.  Any other time, if a ship is bad enough, you can always get off at a port within, at most, 2 days or so...which we actually did once because he (and several hundred other people) were sick.  But the TA is like 5 days straight.

We were on the Horizon inaugural and didn't see anything unfinished or still being worked on. This was a 13 day Mediterranean though, and not a TA. Was nervous at first, as they sent the ship back to Italy to repaint the hull but was docked in Barcelona when our plane arrived. Service in the Italian restaurant for lunch was iffy, but overall a very nice experience. We were the first to sleep in the bed!!