Scenic cruising Antarctica 2021: HAL vs Princess, thoughts?

cruisemom42

It dawned on me recently that I'd better get off my patootie and book a cruise soon if I want to see Antarctica before the new regulations kick in. 

For various reasons, I'm NOT looking at an expedition-type cruise. Some of those will still be offered after the change, should I want to go back and see more. 

I'm considering two itineraries in January of 2021: Westerdam for 20 days or Princess for 16 days. Both go from Santiago to Buenos Aires (or vice versa). Both spend four days doing scenic cruising in the Antarctic.  

The HAL cruise is $1500 more expensive for the extra 4 days in length, and visits more ports in Chile, as well as doing more scenic cruising along the Chilean coast than Princess.

I like both ships. I'm leaning toward the Princess cruise given work constraints on time (would like to spend a couple of days in Buenos Aires and the HAL cruise is stretching my limits; however the HAL cruise does include 1 day in BA before disembarking and perhaps that would be enough for now). 

One thing that would be a strong factor in consideration, given the number of sea days on both, would be if either HAL or Princess offer any special programming, lecturers, naturalists, etc. on board for these cruises? That would certainly "make" the trip for me. I know Princess has offered fantastic lecturers in Alaska in my experience. I will ask there also about this type of enrichment.

Any thoughts?

I just booked on the Jan 19th Coral Princess cruise.  About Sea Days, I would lean toward Princess.  IMO, HAL is dull as far as activities. 

Buenos Aires is nice to spend a couple days, but if you want WOW!  think about adding Iguazu Falls too.  (Not easy to DIY, but can be done)

We did this trip last year on the Zaandam after looking at the Eclipse and the Coral . If we had it to do over we would book an aft cabin SB Neptune suite on the Westerdam Chile to Argentina on the Port side . Pictures are worth a thousand words .

Our review :

Edited by scubacruiserx2

scubacruiserx2, your photos were some of the ones that reminded me of the reasons for doing this trip.

However, I'd be in an oceanview or possibly inside cabin, not a Neptune suite....  Any thoughts on cabin location other than port side for Chile to Argentina itinerary?

I have sailed on the Zaandam on her Antarctic itinerary and found the 4 days (actually reduced to 3.5 days due to weather issues) in Antarctic waters to be totally fascinating.  Excellent on-board programming and the ports in Chile were interesting as was sailing along the coast of Chile.  Argentina was the least interesting of the countries that we visited with our post stop in Montevideo being a pleasant surprise to me.  Buenos Aires:  I didn't feel safe after all of the warnings we received and that was a new experience for me.  The airport terminal at Buenos Aires'for international flights on Delta and Aero Argentinas had extremely limited seating for passengers arriving after disembarking their cruise ship and waiting for a later in the day flight.  Many were seated on the floor waiting for check-in to begin.  

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

However, I'd be in an oceanview or possibly inside cabin, not a Neptune suite....

If you are looking for a bargain, a travel agency lists the Zaandam January 9, 2020 sailing at $2,355 (including $480 in taxes, fees, and port expenses). Ocean view about $600 more per person, great price for a 22 day Antarctica cruise.

The December 18, 2019 sailing is even cheaper, but I don't want to rush you.

11 minutes ago, whogo said:

If you are looking for a bargain, a travel agency lists the Zaandam January 9, 2020 sailing at $2,355 (including $480 in taxes, fees, and port expenses). Ocean view about $600 more per person, great price for a 22 day Antarctica cruise.

The December 18, 2019 sailing is even cheaper, but I don't want to rush you.

I have already planned my vacations for remainder of 2019 and for 2020 to maximize my days off and fit in with my work schedule. One day when I am retired I can take advantage of those lower prices.

Also....do I want to sail on Zaandam?  Not sure about that.

39 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have sailed on the Zaandam on her Antarctic itinerary and found the 4 days (actually reduced to 3.5 days due to weather issues) in Antarctic waters to be totally fascinating.  Excellent on-board programming and the ports in Chile were interesting as was sailing along the coast of Chile.  Argentina was the least interesting of the countries that we visited with our post stop in Montevideo being a pleasant surprise to me.  Buenos Aires:  I didn't feel safe after all of the warnings we received and that was a new experience for me.  The airport terminal at Buenos Aires'for international flights on Delta and Aero Argentinas had extremely limited seating for passengers arriving after disembarking their cruise ship and waiting for a later in the day flight.  Many were seated on the floor waiting for check-in to begin.  

Thanks for the input; I'm glad to hear they had some on-board programming -- can you elaborate?

Re: Buenos Aires, I think I'd be fine. I hope. Would it be worse than 3 days in Cairo on my own? Or Tunisia?

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the input; I'm glad to hear they had some on-board programming -- can you elaborate?

Re: Buenos Aires, I think I'd be fine. I hope. Would it be worse than 3 days in Cairo on my own? Or Tunisia?

I recall a trio of professionals that offered presentations dealing with the natural science of the area, another concerning the wildlife, and a social scientist who made interesting programs about the social/political areas in which we were sailing.  There was a HAL staff member who also provided information and narration when we were in scenic areas.  One of the presenters on my cruise was employed by HAL to develop the new EXC program for the Maasdam.  (He was that good!  But, whether he is still with HAL, I don't know.)  

We had a presentation by some of the scientists from the USA Antarctic base one day.  I looked forward to that, but was not as detailed as I expected.  The people were available for Q&A for awhile after their presentation, however.  

Regarding your last sentence:  Tunisia, I have never visited.  Egypt:  never again.

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why not?

I avoid anything older than the Vista class. Too many reports of "ship happens" on the older ones -- which is unfortunate because I prefer small ships.

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I recall a trio of professionals that offered presentations dealing with the natural science of the area, another concerning the wildlife, and a social scientist who made interesting programs about the social/political areas in which we were sailing.  There was a HAL staff member who also provided information and narration when we were in scenic areas.  One of the presenters on my cruise was employed by HAL to develop the new EXC program for the Maasdam.  (He was that good!  But, whether he is still with HAL, I don't know.)  

We had a presentation by some of the scientists from the USA Antarctic base one day.  I looked forward to that, but was not as detailed as I expected.  The people were available for Q&A for awhile after their presentation, however.  

Regarding your last sentence:  Tunisia, I have never visited.  Egypt:  never again.

Excellent, thanks -- sounds promising. 

It's hard to put into words how I feel about Egypt. It's a lot to take when you are there, but I find myself wanting to go back and experience it again every few years. I've been there four times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

scubacruiserx2, your photos were some of the ones that reminded me of the reasons for doing this trip.

However, I'd be in an oceanview or possibly inside cabin, not a Neptune suite....  Any thoughts on cabin location other than port side for Chile to Argentina itinerary?

We wanted to face the land and Glacier Alley so if you have an oceanview ( as we did in 2013 ) you could sometimes get a heads up of coming attractions and have a viewing place to get to . If you book after the final payment is due the prices are better . It does mean that you have to pay in full and assume the risk of it possibly selling out so go with your comfort level and we think that you will enjoy the beauty of  SA and Antarctica .

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I avoid anything older than the Vista class. Too many reports of "ship happens" on the older ones -- which is unfortunate because I prefer small ships.

"Ship happens" may happen on any ship, just out of the builder's yard--RMS Titanic--or the small ships that have had unfortunate experiences in Antarctic waters.  

Every time I have taken that cruise, all on HAL, there have been lecturers who are familiar with Antarctica, the waters, and the lifeforms down there. There are lectures, and there is commentary while scenic cruising. 
There was also commentary while sailing in Chile. 

It's a long way to go, and a grueling flight home, since you are up early the morning of disembarkation, then don't fly out until evening, flying all night to get back to the USA, then possibly continuing on to home. My first time was a 33-hour 'day'; second time was longer. I didn't bother to count it up on the third. So, take the longer cruise if at all possible. 

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Ship happens" may happen on any ship, just out of the builder's yard--RMS Titanic--or the small ships that have had unfortunate experiences in Antarctic waters.  

It's true that it may happen on any ship, but I read these forums and reviews regularly and I am convinced that problems are reported more frequently on the older ships.  I like to minimize my chances of encountering things like plumbing or A/C issues. 

• Like 2

following along with this thread and i have a question - does anyone have an opinion on doing this cruise on oceania (marina in 2021).  we have cruised on celebrity, holland america, and princess(many years ago).  are holland america and/or princess especially known for this particular s.a. cruise.  my husband and i are retired, 74 and 65 respectively and active.  so far we are leaning toward the oceania cruise - a new line for us and they offer an attractive pre cruise trip to machu picchu.  i would love to hear any opinions and comparisons between doing this cruise with either holland america, princess, or oceania.

10 minutes ago, minnied said:

following along with this thread and i have a question - does anyone have an opinion on doing this cruise on oceania (marina in 2021).  we have cruised on celebrity, holland america, and princess(many years ago).  are holland america and/or princess especially known for this particular s.a. cruise.  my husband and i are retired, 74 and 65 respectively and active.  so far we are leaning toward the oceania cruise - a new line for us and they offer an attractive pre cruise trip to machu picchu.  i would love to hear any opinions and comparisons between doing this cruise with either holland america, princess, or oceania.

Since I have sailed on Oceania, and am definitely not a fan, I would not choose that line for this itinerary. Or any other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

It's a long way to go, and a grueling flight home, since you are up early the morning of disembarkation, then don't fly out until evening, flying all night to get back to the USA, then possibly continuing on to home. My first time was a 33-hour 'day'; second time was longer. I didn't bother to count it up on the third. So, take the longer cruise if at all possible. 

Good points about the travel there and back. You've done it three times then? What was your weather experience on the three?  Good, bad, ugly?

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What was your weather experience on the three?  Good, bad, ugly?

Yes. 
I'm not being facetious. On all three trips there were some rough seas, and some very calm ones. We raced ahead of a storm on the way back from Antarctica on one trip, and had terribly stormy seas on the way over on another. We were in calm seas around Cape Horn all three times, and even warm-ish on at least two of them. 
There were bitter cold winds that caused me to hide behind the superstructure, and there were warm days sitting out in the sun. There was some snow twice; the Filipinos and Indonesians loved seeing it, which was really fun to watch. 
I would not have missed it for the world. 

We did a South American cruise on the Zaandam  in an obstructed oceanview  cabin  7086  The only obstruction was the handrails & steps going up to deck above . There was a door to the outside deck next to the cabin & we rarely saw anyone on this deck  The cabin didn't have a bath only a shower but was fine  & views were good. 

3 hours ago, minnied said:

If you are talking about the 20 day Buenos Aires to Lima cruise on the Marina in Jan 2021, you will notice they do not cruise to the Antarctica peninsula like HAL, Princess and Celebrity do. That would be the biggest negative I can think of. 

A couple of thoughts...

We sailed San Diego to Buenos Aires on Zaandam and enjoyed ourselves, but have elected to book on Westerdam for Antarctica, January 2021.   Zaandam was not a favorite. 

As far as requiring extra time in BA, I'd suggest doing research on what you would really like to accomplish there.  It's an interesting and beautiful city -- many extraordinary buildings, but with very little inside of them.  It seems that most art and valuables have been taken out of the country during various upheavals, so lengthy museum visits are not required.  One can see a lot during a two-day tour.  Whether that is enough for you, cruisemom42, I don't know.  For me, I usually leave cities with heartbreak that I want to experience more, and I didn't feel that way when leaving BA.  Although being there was almost surreal.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Rkacruiser, could you share what you did in Montevideo?  I and probably others would much appreciate advice on how best to enjoy that port stop.