Private Tour Suggestions from Cobh - not Blarney Castle or Kinsale

msmoger

Looking for suggestions for private tours out of Cobh.  Have been there once before and visited Blarney Castle and Kinsale last time, so looking for something different.  I'm having trouble finding options.  Would love your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks,

We've been to Cobh 3 times.  The first time we did a private excursion which went to Powercourt (a lovely estate) and Glendalough (lots of history there--very ancient history); another time we went to Cork on the train (right across from the dock) and rode the HOHO ; the last time I walked east from the dock, past downtown, where there's a strip of beach where one can enjoy seabirds.  We've also been "up on top" (lot of the town is high above the port) and walked around a lovely neighborhood with large homes and then visited the cathedral which you'll see as you approach the harbor.  

17 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

We've been to Cobh 3 times.  The first time we did a private excursion which went to Powercourt (a lovely estate) and Glendalough

Hi Barb, I thought that on a previous thread we agreed that you visited Powerscourt from Dublin and not Cobh?  It is a 3 hour trip from Cobh to Powerscourt and another 3 hours back.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:48 PM, msmoger said:

Looking for suggestions for private tours out of Cobh.  Have been there once before and visited Blarney Castle and Kinsale last time, so looking for something different.  I'm having trouble finding options.  Would love your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks,

What are your interests?

Cobh itself is nice.  Up to the Cathedral and a walk down again!

Take the train from Cobh (station is just beside dock) to Cork, then HOHO bus.  Visit the old gaol,  St Finbarr's Cathedral and the English Market (not a patch on Boqueria in Barcelona, but still a pure market and not a tourist 'spot').

Feeling more adventurous, then head to West Cork and visit Bantry, Glengarriff, Garnish Island and St Finbarre's Oratory in Gougane Barra.  It would be a long day in West Cork, but great scenery.

Edited by VMax1700

• 2 months later...

We are looking for an independent private guide in Cobh/Cork in April.  None of the tours that I see do exactly what we want.  Or could we just get a taxi at the port?  Is there a car rental close to the port?

Edited by ldog
added question.

We spent a day in Cobh a few years ago on a driving tour.  We visited the Titanic Experience museum which is located in the old White Star Line premises.  It was really well done.  I also recall a nice park near the waterfront with a memorial to John F. Kennedy

Thank you for this post......I've been researching Cobh for our cruise too.  I think I've narrowed it down to a private tour with Mary G.  Found her on trip advisor.   But I cannot decide between two of her tours.  We've never been to Ireland before.   There's an excursion to Blarney & Kinsale as the original poster mentioned.....but there's also a tour called Ring of Kerry.  That looks awesome too.  It looks to have stunning scenery and a stop at Torc waterfall in the national park.  So can anyone say for a first timer, is Blarney a not-to-be-missed?  Thanks!

35 minutes ago, bubbachief said:

• A tour around the Ring of Kerry takes a full day to see and do properly.
  • I would not recommend that tour with the time you have in  port.

I found that out.  My tour guide wrote to me that it would be too much to fit into one day.  Pity though because I wanted to see that water fall. 

Blarney is more than the castle.  In the castle grounds there are beautiful gardens.

Also there is a wonderful Woolen Mill that sells a lot of Irish products and there is a restaurant that does a good stew for lunch!

Kinsale is a lovely little port village and is our choice for an afternoon drive and food.  Some great restaurant there!