Serene Spa & Wellness

Turn 8A

We've never done any spa services on a cruise and never will. We consider it a waste of space. We find it annoying that we're approached by spa people trying to get us to buy their services. We also never go to spas when we're not cruising. Is there anyone else like us, or do most people on cruises use the spa on a regular basis?

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We've never done any spa services on a cruise and never will. We consider it a waste of space. We find it annoying that we're approached by spa people trying to get us to buy their services. We also never go to spas when we're not cruising. Is there anyone else like us, or do most people on cruises use the spa on a regular basis?

To each their own BUT we agree with you, we do not use a spa on land or sea.   

Personally, would rather spend money elsewhere. 

We have never had a spa treatment, but that does mean that wonderwifey and I do not want to use the spa. There has already been a recent lengthy thread on hairdressing for her and I shall wish to use the sauna/steam room/infinity pool (on Explorer) facilities, so  good management and staff in the spa area will be important to us.

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

My understanding is that Steiner will be operating this new spa brand for Regent on their ships

Yes, that is correct. This is a Steiner-owned spa.  Steiner owns Elemis and has since the mid 90’s. 

14 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I think it fair to say that a high percentage of women on cruises use the spa at least once during the cruise.  Massages, hairdressing, manicures etc.  Lower percentage of men I suppose.  On Regent the "spa people" do not approach passengers to use their services.  There are ads - "reminders" really - and specials from time to time in the daily "newspaper" but unlike main line cruising no "sales announcements" at all.  If you want to go to the spa you do so.  If you don't want to no one is going to chase after you.  (But I think you are missing out on something...)

I had not heard of Steiner but I have heard of Elemis.  They (I think) run the spa in the First and Business class lounges at LHR.   And I suppose on other shipping lines too.  I won't miss Canyon Ranch which I considered overpriced both on Regent and Oceania.  But I will be trying the new spa out.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I think it fair to say that a high percentage of women on cruises use the spa at least once during the cruise.  Massages, hairdressing, manicures etc.  Lower percentage of men I suppose.  On Regent the "spa people" do not approach passengers to use their services.  There are ads - "reminders" really - and specials from time to time in the daily "newspaper" but unlike main line cruising no "sales announcements" at all.  If you want to go to the spa you do so.  If you don't want to no one is going to chase after you.  (But I think you are missing out on something...)

I had not heard of Steiner but I have heard of Elemis.  They (I think) run the spa in the First and Business class lounges at LHR.   And I suppose on other shipping lines too.  I won't miss Canyon Ranch which I considered overpriced both on Regent and Oceania.  But I will be trying the new spa out.

Yes, the experience we've had with Steiner -run spas on other cruise ships such as Silversea, Disney, Seabourn and Viking, for example, is that you can make your reservations online, just as you book excursions or dinner reservation(instead of calling and faxing a list of appointments and services requests as you do with Canyon Ranch). Glad to see Regent switch to Steiner.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

You have been able to book on board treatments online  for years... with Canyon Ranch and the predecessor which I think was Carita of Paris... so nochange here...

I think you might want to check the accuracy of your statement by reading the FAQs on the Regent website. There is no online platform to select times, dates, type of service on the Regent website. You are instructed to call or email to secure appointments for Canyon Ranch. 

9 hours ago, Focused1 said:

I think you might want to check the accuracy of your statement by reading the FAQs on the Regent website. There is no online platform to select times, dates, type of service on the Regent website. You are instructed to call or email to secure appointments for Canyon Ranch. 

If you re-read what I said you will see that I made no mention of booking treatments via the Regent website.   You booked them in advance via the Canyon Ranch site which had separate sections for Regent, Oceania, Cunard etc.  And my bookings were made via that site.  (I tried to call them once but nowhere did it say they were in California (!) and with a 9 hour time difference I preferred to go via their site).

On 11/5/2019 at 8:12 PM, SWFLAOK said:

With quite a few cruises under my belt, I can assuredly say that I have never been approached by a spa person person and I thoroughly enjoy a spa. What happened to you and on what line?

You might enjoy a spa service if you give it a try, good way to find your zen. Next week, we are going to a destination spa and wellness resort in the northern Poconos for a couple days. Can’t wait!

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

If you re-read what I said you will see that I made no mention of booking treatments via the Regent website.   You booked them in advance via the Canyon Ranch site which had separate sections for Regent, Oceania, Cunard etc.  And my bookings were made via that site.  (I tried to call them once but nowhere did it say they were in California (!) and with a 9 hour time difference I preferred to go via their site).

Either way, through the Regent website or directly through Canyon Ranch website, you cannot book services online. I have taken 4 cruises in the last two years on Regent and always have had to call or email my requested appointments. Whether you view the FAQs on the Regent website regarding Spa appointments or go directly to the Canyon Ranch website to the Regent section, it still instructs your to call for more information or appointments. There is no mechanism to book online. However, they do list the treatments available. 

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

If I go onto a website and book an appointment via its contact form I consider I have booked this online.   Clearly you don't!  But come on - does this matter ?

Splitting hairs, I suppose.   Two different definitions of booking online. Maybe generational.   For me, it is being able to view availability, select date/time, treatment, and receive immediate confirmation, just like booking a hotel on its website (or Regent reservations and shore excursions).  One doesn't have to wait for a live representative to send back a confirmation back based on requests.  Just makes things easier, which is what I hope is available when Steiner takes over the Regent Spas.

Your way is nice - like booking a train ticket and being able to see the seating plan - and it is clearly preferable.  But since cruises are booked very very long in advance and with Canyon Ranch anyway they wouldn't make spa appointments more than 3 months out I have no problem in sending an email to their contact person and then waiting a few hours for an answer!   It is far far better than my having to remember to stay up late to talk with some in California!!

14 hours ago, kjbacon said:

With quite a few cruises under my belt, I can assuredly say that I have never been approached by a spa person person and I thoroughly enjoy a spa. What happened to you and on what line?

You might enjoy a spa service if you give it a try, good way to find your zen. Next week, we are going to a destination spa and wellness resort in the northern Poconos for a couple days. Can’t wait!

With 10 cruises under our belt, we have had one hard sell and soft sells. The hard sell was on Holland America, and we were once and done with that cruise line for more reasons than that.

People enjoy different things. That's OK with me, and I hope it's OK with you. I don't like to be massaged, even by my spouse, and having a stranger do that is just creepy. I don't have the patience to sit through other treatments. I find my zen swimming laps in our condo's pool at first light.