Hair Curling irons on River cruise?

LuvsACruise

10 hours ago, LuvsACruise said:

SUPER! Gosh, thanks so much to all for the very quick replies!

Sharkster77, I will also do a search and get that pdf for Viking. Appreciate the info from all!

Here is the link to the Viking prohibited list: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

It is so hard to find that I have bookmarked for sharing.

BTW, do not use the plug in the bathroom for curling irons or hair dryers. It is designed for shavers only and cannot handle the high wattage needed to operate hair appliances. It is a fire hazard.

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Here is the link to the Viking prohibited list: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

It is so hard to find that I have bookmarked for sharing.

BTW, do not use the plug in the bathroom for curling irons or hair dryers. It is designed for shavers only and cannot handle the high wattage needed to operate hair appliances. It is a fire hazard.

Thanks - I was having no luck searching for it!

41 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Thanks - I was having no luck searching for it!

BOOKMARK IT!!!

Also, I think it is available only on MyVikingJourney, which is not available until you book your first cruise. After that, it is in the FAQ--and still you have to guess which question contains the link.

22 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I find I have better luck searching on google than almost any company website. I hate that, but when you're searching, you do what you need to do.....

The problem with searching google for this particular issue is that you are apt to come up with old information regarding curling irons.  

Until recently, Viking and many posting’s regarding whether they were allowed or not  will lead you to believe they are prohibited.  They recently changed their policy and documents.  They are now allowed as peregrina651 has shown.  

That's not necessarily true, as one of the first google results is the posting on CC with the pdf from a few weeks back, so, you know...

If Viking still has old/bad information on their website, that's their problem and you should complain to them. That doesn't negate the fact it is EASIER to search and find results on google than on the viking rivers website.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

That's not necessarily true, as one of the first google results is the posting on CC with the pdf from a few weeks back, so, you know...

If Viking still has old/bad information on their website, that's their problem and you should complain to them. That doesn't negate the fact it is EASIER to search and find results on google than on the viking rivers website.

Whose complaining? I use google all the time and what they show as the top result is not necessarily the most recent. 

I never said Viking has wrong information on their website.  Only that a google search could be for old information.

I said clearly “apt” which is true.  

Edited by LeRenardrouge

23 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I find I have better luck searching on google than almost any company website. I hate that, but when you're searching, you do what you need to do.....

Not dissing a viable alternative but we should keep in mind that Google is good but not perfect --and certainly better than the Cruise Critic search function by a long shot. Even Google can't get into password protected stuff.

That said, I went looking for the document, trying to see if I could use Google to find this bit of well buried information on the Viking websites. At least I had the advantage of knowing that I was looking for the prohibited list. Still, and even with "vikingcruises.com" or "myvikingjourney.com" as part of the search, the only place that Google was able to find the link was here on Cruise Critic and not on the Viking websites.

Good thing we shared the link here. Now it comes up in a Google search even if it doesn't come up on a Viking website.

• Like 1

We confronted this question on a recent - non-cruise - trip to England. Well, it was after we got home, really. My DW brought her 110V only curling iron on the trip and had to rough it, so immediately on our return she found this one: Automatic Dual-Voltage Curling Iron. She hasn't bought it yet (our next cruise is in April 2020, with hotel stays before and after) but she is on the right track, I think.

To her credit, she did not just plug it in to see if maybe it would work. Some on our companions in England did, and they reported that the results were unsatisfactory - but dramatic!

Edited by What was that?
Defective link.
  • Like 1

It only has a US two-blade plug. As I understand it, the Viking ships have US outlets with 110V that can handle high-current loads like a curling iron, but hotels for pre- and post-cruise might need adapters. We are going to give this all a trial run on the river GE cruise B-A in April, and hotels before and after. I have UK adapters, but it looks like I will need a "Euro" adapter (Type C, if you are into that technical stuff) or two.

50 minutes ago, What was that? said:

It only has a US two-blade plug. As I understand it, the Viking ships have US outlets with 110V that can handle high-current loads like a curling iron, but hotels for pre- and post-cruise might need adapters. We are going to give this all a trial run on the river GE cruise B-A in April, and hotels before and after. I have UK adapters, but it looks like I will need a "Euro" adapter (Type C, if you are into that technical stuff) or two.

Easy to find and cheap. Even Target sells them-- and of course Amazon.

Wife picked up her dual voltage curling iron at Target for no more than $10.  It selects the voltage itself--no switch.

She's used it in 6 European countries without problem.  It stays with our luggage, at the ready, when we pack for Europe.   All it needs is the plug adaptor, which only cost $1 from Rick Steves website.

Edited by sharkster77

When we took a family trip to Ireland, our son wanted a desk fan for white noise [he's a 'picky sleeper'].  We found a cheap one at a discount store in Dublin that he used for the trip, and then gave it to the landlady at our B&B on the last day – she was thrilled to get it.  I realize that curling irons are easier to pack than a fan would be, but I'm suggesting waiting to buy one in Europe so you know it is a solid 220v performer with the right plug [for most countries] built in.  Then either give it away or keep it for future travels.

@Host Jazzbeau, might I suggest that the Viking pdf document listing was is and isn't allowed be pinned to the top of the page with the stickies?  The curling iron issue keeps coming up and folks are finding outdated info when searching the internet.  This caused great consternation with DW until Viking changed the rule.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I realize that curling irons are easier to pack than a fan would be, but I'm suggesting waiting to buy one in Europe so you know it is a solid 220v performer with the right plug [for most countries] built in.  Then either give it away or keep it for future travels.

I wouldn't purchase overseas - then you are stuck with a plug that only works in the country (or area) you purchased it.

I always travel with my curling iron.  My "daily driver" is one that is designed with dual voltage... automatically selects whatever it needs.  That way, I only need a plug adapter.  I have never had an issue - and have had a dual voltage curling iron for more than 15 years.

I have 2 sets of adapters - that way, I can take more than 1 for whatever region I am visiting - and am not fighting with my DH to use the adapter -- or having to set up an elaborate schedule so everything is charged when needed.

Fran

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franski said:

I wouldn't purchase overseas - then you are stuck with a plug that only works in the country (or area) you purchased it.

You can use a plug adapter the same way you do with your US version. I've been doing it for 30some years with hair appliances I bought when I lived in Belgium. The bottom line is there are a LOT of options and some work better for some of us - none of the ideas are "wrong" (unless you try to plug that 220v appliance into a shaver only outlet!) I personally have had bad luck with dual voltage hair appliances so I avoid them. Others love them and have had no problems. Neither of us are "wrong", just different choices.....