Room location question

7960Ken

36 minutes ago, Jazmyn49 said:

We have done many cruises and have never had less hallway noise than on the Sun.  Do people tiptoe?  Whisper?  Act politely like grownups?  Whatever, we were super happy and have found our nirvana.  We were in 4049 in Jan. and will be close by in just 57 more days.  We will be near the aft elevators but others say no worries about that location, ditto for near the laundry where our good friends will be located.  And the excitement builds.....

Honestly, I think it is all of the above.

It was disembarkation day. I was amazed at how quiet it seemed in the hall--until I opened the door and saw just how busy the corridor actually was. People were coming and going. The crew was already turning over the cabins that had been vacated. There were even people talking to one another. Couldn't hear a thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

We have done many cruises and have never had less hallway noise than on the Sun.  Do people tiptoe?  Whisper?  Act politely like grownups?  Whatever, we were super happy and have found our nirvana.  We were in 4049 in Jan. and will be close by in just 57 more days.  We will be near the aft elevators but others say no worries about that location, ditto for near the laundry where our good friends will be located.  And the excitement builds.....

Sounds like we will meet each other on Jan. 4th.  We are on the ship until Sydney.  Our cabin is 4051 and hoping that this will be a quiet location.  Should be a great cruise!

On 11/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, CCWineLover said:

Agree with you all - that there can indeed be some noise issues on Deck 3.  We have only been DV2 on Deck 5 and 6 - which were great!  I would pick 5 over 6 though if you are underneath the pool deck or dining terrace.  Noise from chairs above scraping in early morning hours.   We did talk with people who had DV on Deck 4 that were near/next to the lifeboats, and they said the noise was often not so good there.  So perhaps Deck 4 if you keep away from the lifeboats and Deck 5 otherwise.

We were in 5052 for the Northern Lights trip. I try to stick to midship location to minimize some of the motion...and on our March 14 sailing, suffice it to say we had some motion [; 0)  

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

We were in 5052 for the Northern Lights trip. I try to stick to midship location to minimize some of the motion...and on our March 14 sailing, suffice it to say we had some motion [; 0)  

But that was very unusual, right? 😉

To follow up on the room location question and the noise I referred to in an earlier post.  Ever since Puerto Rico we have had this clanging steel on steel noise somewhere between 3am and 5am.  As a former ship captain I know ship noises as well as human noises.  This is a crew member doing something in a way that was not done prior to Puerto Rico.  It sounds like a steel gate or steel hatch being opened with no consideration to noise.  I know they have to do deck maintenance very early as otherwise the decks are full of people but why this noise since Puerto Rico?  I have met with the General Manager a couple of times and he is nice and always says the right things but, so far, he has not been able to stop the issue.  This is the first time, 4 months last year, 2.5 months so far this year that any issue has not been addressed quickly and to our satisfaction.  I even asked about moving (which we really don't want but would be better than the noise)  and was told there were no rooms available.  Typical cruise ship speak.  All ships are full and we can't make changes.  Have heard this on many different lines when, obviously, they are not totally full.  So. as it stands, my advice to anyone booking Viking Sun is to avoid any rooms on 4 deck over the boats.  I would not like any of y'all to be constantly waken in the very early am....

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Our last 2 trips, we have been on 4110 and 5049 (DV5 and 2).  Both turned out to be excellent, quiet locations.  The advantage of 5049 was that we were midway between the 2 elevators, so chose the elevator in the direction we were going.  
Both rooms were probably the same distance from the laundry room.

We are in room 4105 (also DV5) next month on our South American cruise.

We are on the Jupiter, Nov. 13 Southern Atlantic Crossing from Barcelona-Buenos Aires (22 days), so getting packed & excited. We are in  cabin 4100 so good to know our cabin will be quiet, hopefully! This is our 5th Viking cruise..2 river & 3 ocean. Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.

2 hours ago, gma1 said:

We are on the Jupiter, Nov. 13 Southern Atlantic Crossing from Barcelona-Buenos Aires (22 days), so getting packed & excited. We are in  cabin 4100 so good to know our cabin will be quiet, hopefully! This is our 5th Viking cruise..2 river & 3 ocean. Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.

This cruise is on my radar for 2021, so hope you enjoy it.  

We've had 4073 (on two cruises, each of which was 2 weeks) and 4079 (once, for 4 weeks) and can honestly say we never experienced any noise whatsoever.  Both rooms are near the lifts and stairs, and are over the smaller of the three lifeboats.  I wouldn't hesitate to have either again - though for our next booked cruise in July 2020 they weren't available, so we've had to move into unknown territory, further forward on the same deck!  

On 11/9/2019 at 7:40 AM, Jim Avery said:

To follow up on the room location question and the noise I referred to in an earlier post.  Ever since Puerto Rico we have had this clanging steel on steel noise somewhere between 3am and 5am.  As a former ship captain I know ship noises as well as human noises.  This is a crew member doing something in a way that was not done prior to Puerto Rico.  It sounds like a steel gate or steel hatch being opened with no consideration to noise.  I know they have to do deck maintenance very early as otherwise the decks are full of people but why this noise since Puerto Rico?  I have met with the General Manager a couple of times and he is nice and always says the right things but, so far, he has not been able to stop the issue.  This is the first time, 4 months last year, 2.5 months so far this year that any issue has not been addressed quickly and to our satisfaction.  I even asked about moving (which we really don't want but would be better than the noise)  and was told there were no rooms available.  Typical cruise ship speak.  All ships are full and we can't make changes.  Have heard this on many different lines when, obviously, they are not totally full.  So. as it stands, my advice to anyone booking Viking Sun is to avoid any rooms on 4 deck over the boats.  I would not like any of y'all to be constantly waken in the very early am....

Jim,

Sorry to bother you with another question on this issue, but I am getting concerned about our room location for our upcoming Viking Homelands cruise on the Sun. We are booked into room 4057, which appears to be just forward of lifeboat 1 (?) on the starboard side. My wife is very sensitive to noise and motion, so when we booked this cruise almost a year ago we asked our TA for a room with cabins above and below as near to midship as possible. I think she may have thought 4057 was directly above 3057, but studying the deck plans now, I can see that it is not. Sounds like a call to my TA is in order - do you agree?

Thank you!!

6 minutes ago, john005 said:

Jim,

Sorry to bother you with another question on this issue, but I am getting concerned about our room location for our upcoming Viking Homelands cruise on the Sun. We are booked into room 4057, which appears to be just forward of lifeboat 1 (?) on the starboard side. My wife is very sensitive to noise and motion, so when we booked this cruise almost a year ago we asked our TA for a room with cabins above and below as near to midship as possible. I think she may have thought 4057 was directly above 3057, but studying the deck plans now, I can see that it is not. Sounds like a call to my TA is in order - do you agree?

Thank you!!

The deck plans are indeed not to scale.  We are in 4054.  4057 is directly across from us on the starboard side one room aft. Over the bow of boat number 1.  Not sure if the noises we have experienced are the same on the starboard side and the bad intermittent early am clanging only started after we left Puerto Rico.  But yes, you do hear the boats when they are to be used.  The davit arm extends from just under these cabins.  Unavoidable to not hear them when in operation.  Otherwise, these midships cabins are very convenient. 

Edited by Jim Avery

On 11/7/2019 at 12:54 PM, moatenote said:

After doing 2 cruises in DV1 and DV2, we splurged and upgraded to a PV and loved the extra space and especially the different location of the closet (across from bathroom instead of alongside the bed).  We now only book the PV.  We like deck 5 because the view seems a bit better being higher up, and it's very quiet.  But it's totally a personal decision.

We were offered an upgrade to a PV on our first Viking Ocean - last minute very good rate. We took it and now there is no going back!  Agree - Deck 5 is great!

7 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

We were offered an upgrade to a PV on our first Viking Ocean - last minute very good rate. We took it and now there is no going back!  Agree - Deck 5 is great!

It's only money, right??  lol  The grandkids don't need a big inheritance!

• Like 2

Jim,

keep asking....took us until the Philippines for another cabin to be available on the WC.   They finally moved “short term entertainers” to our noisy terrible cabin.  Our first cruise we were over the theatre and near anchor.....minor theatre noise and anchor was an excellent alarm!