Bilbao visit with museum closed

texasskier

Did  they offer a ship's tour there?

Sometimes the ships get   a private visit in some of these museums

We were able to get into Catherine's palace in SPB  one year  

The Palace was closed to the public  but the ship had permission to do the tour

Unfortunately  when they make up the itineraries 2-3 yrs in advance  they do not check what is open/closed in the ports 

Some have to do with logistics/timing  of getting from A to B in the time allotted

Just saying

Having just been to the Guggenheim in Bilbao I found the outside is the real attraction. The exhibits were extremely underwhelming. In my opinion you're not missing much. I have a much better museum I can go to down here in the sticks by Walmart's headquarters.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Sometimes the ships get   a private visit in some of these museums

We were able to get into Catherine's palace in SPB  one year  

The Palace was closed to the public  but the ship had permission to do the tour

We were able to visit Hermitage on a Monday when it was closed to the public but we went with SPB tours - we had the Hermitage mostly to ourselves

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Having just been to the Guggenheim in Bilbao I found the outside is the real attraction. The exhibits were extremely underwhelming. In my opinion you're not missing much. I have a much better museum I can go to down here in the sticks by Walmart's headquarters.

Agree on both counts - Guggenheim’s architecture is much more impressive and interesting than the collection itself, at least IMO and we too enjoyed Crystal Bridges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

We were able to visit Hermitage on a Monday when it was closed to the public but we went with SPB tours - we had the Hermitage mostly to ourselves

Agree on both counts - Guggenheim’s architecture is much more impressive and interesting than the collection itself, at least IMO and we too enjoyed Crystal Bridges.

I didn't know you'd been over to my neck of the woods. We've been to Crystal Bridges about 1/2 dozen times since they've opened. Really enjoyed the traveling Norman Rockwell exhibit and last summer they had a Chiluly exhibit. Most of it was outside. It's nice that the Waltons have given back to the area. Also nice that it's free, except for special exhibits. 

Speaking for myself, I definitely enjoyed Crystal Bridges exhibits a lot more than Guggenheim in Bilbao (I am not a fan of nor do I appreciate modern art).

Now, the Dutch Masters - that’s art that I do appreciate 😀

That said, the architecture of Bilbao inside and out is special.

• 4 weeks later...