speculative question: will price go down after final payment date?

moonjelly

Hi All,

I realize there is no way to tell for sure, but in your experience, does Carnival lower prices after final payment date if a ship is not sold out? Specifically do you think the Jan 13 INSPRIATION four night baja Mexico from Long Beach cruise will see a price reduction after the final payment date of Nov 14?

I am sailing on this cruise booked months ago.

I have 4 sets (cabins) of friends that are thinking about going too and I offered to book for them.

My concern is that I quote the prices and book them today, then the prices go down on the 15th.

Just trying to sensibly play the odds here and get them the best deal, but don't want to delay if it is unnecessary and they are ready to go. I see that this is a judgement call, but would welcome your experienced advice!!

What do you think?

Edited by moonjelly

I’ve had it happen before but not often as far as price drops for me. New bookings they could but you may not get your choice of room. The best price I ever had was three weeks before sailing but it wasn’t a room I’d want to book today.

Edited by Saint Greg

Hi

Carnival doesn't lower the price just because they have passed the final payment date. The cabin prices are always fluctuating due to supply and demand. 

If you feel there are many cabins still available in your cabin class, then maybe there might be some drop, but not just because it is passed final payment day. You would just be taking a chance.

If you can still get a rate that allows for rebate on a price drop, that would be your best bet. That's why many choose the "early saver" rate because they can claim price drop protection up till 2 days before sailing. 

Your guess is as good as mine, but I just looked at fares for that sailing and I see fares starting at $154pp for an inside cabin! That’s rock bottom, dirt cheap! I don’t think that prices can decrease much more than that. There’s no room for dramatic price drops outside of Carnival giving the cruise away for free. Yes, I do know that it could go lower, but you asked for an educated guess. 😉

I’d say book it and don’t look back! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

We just passed final payment last week and the prices moved less than $5 if you want to choose your room. Guarantees did seem to move a little more but nothing dramatic. Still plenty of rooms available so payment date didn’t really seem to have any impact.

Do you care at all about the cabins being close together? I would book now either way. But when you go in to pick your cabin, right now you can still get "early saver" so you could get OBC for price drops after final payment. It also looks like there's only a few locations left where you can get 4 cabins together. I agree though that even if you want to book guarantees and don't care where the cabins are; right now the cheapest cruise carnival is offering for the 3-5 night range is $144. Since you can book the one your want right now for $154; it seems unlikely that you will experience any large price drops.

Edited by sanger727

Years ago I would see multiple price drops on my bookings.  I think they were all after final payment, so we got OBC for them.  It seems like the last few cruises I've booked have had no price drops.  I always check, though.