a worrying time

2 hours ago, chry5alis said:

Just heard Carnival Spirit's Moreton island itinerary is diverted to Hobart this week, is this your cruise? 

Yep, that’s us. We got notification at 3am this morning (departing today). I’m happy with the change, I’d rather be out of the smoke, except I flew up to Sydney from Melbourne yesterday to board the ship and have packed warm weather clothing, Hobart is quite the climate change, I just wish they’d told us with 24-48 hours notice so packing could be adjusted. 

2 hours ago, chry5alis said:

Just heard Carnival Spirit's Moreton island itinerary is diverted to Hobart this week, is this your cruise? 

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

There are serious fires on Moreton Island. Campers and residents were evacuated from some areas a few days ago.

I think that is the one. Carnival have a habit of going south when the north itinerary cannot be done.

26 minutes ago, mtn_couple said:

Yep, that’s us. We got notification at 3am this morning (departing today). I’m happy with the change, I’d rather be out of the smoke, except I flew up to Sydney from Melbourne yesterday to board the ship and have packed warm weather clothing, Hobart is quite the climate change, I just wish they’d told us with 24-48 hours notice so packing could be adjusted. 

Last time they gave the pax some OBC to buy a jacket/ jumper.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mtn_couple said:

Yes it is short notice but I suppose can't be helped in this case.  Hope it isn't too cold for you. We are travelling on the mid north coast atm and the smoke isn't pleasant but thankfully the fires have calmed down for the moment. 

6 hours ago, chry5alis said:

Yes it is short notice but I suppose can't be helped in this case.  

The fire on Moreton Island became serious three days ago. I think it is reasonable to suggest that a decision should have been made and passengers advised at least 24 hours ahead of the cruise. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

13 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

David, standby for dust falling on NZ next week. Photo from Mildura yesterday. The dust is predicted to hit Sydney later today adding to the smoke from the fires.

image.png.29d734cb8a9b96425c9928074de14ad9.png

Thank you for the heads up.

We has also been advised to stand by for a heat wave moving over the Tasman from Australia , and we could be in for dry spell as well. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mtn_couple said:

Canberra has both dust and smoke (the later is likely from the SA fires).

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Thank you for the heads up.

We has also been advised to stand by for a heat wave moving over the Tasman from Australia , and we could be in for dry spell as well. 

Gawd  Ihope so - today was the first day I went out without a jacket in Wellington- and its still marginal with the wind chill. Don't understand how we can get so llittle hot weather compared to Australia's record temps. Don't envy you guys the fires- but I miss the heat of Oz a lot 

10 minutes ago, lissie said:

Gawd  Ihope so - today was the first day I went out without a jacket in Wellington- and its still marginal with the wind chill. Don't understand how we can get so llittle hot weather compared to Australia's record temps. Don't envy you guys the fires- but I miss the heat of Oz a lot 

Because NZ is a relatively small, thin land mass surrounded by lots of water. Australia has a huge hot central land mass that isn't cooled by sea breezes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Because NZ is a relatively small, thin land mass surrounded by lots of water. Australia has a huge hot central land mass that isn't cooled by sea breezes.

Oh I know - but I'm sure our Nov temps will come out below average for the month - while Australia's have been record breaking - lets face it in Wellington they seriously consider 25C a heat wave LOL 

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So it's not because of the NZ government taking climate change action and the Australian one not.?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

So it's not because of the NZ government taking climate change action and the Australian one not.?

hang on....breaking (fake) news....

The Greens (Insert your favourite namby pamby party or “action” group here) say that is indeed correct 

BTW - has the NZ Governments “action” on climate change made one iota of difference? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

lets face it in Wellington they seriously consider 25C a heat wave LOL 

The wind blows all the heat away 😂

(While not a native Wellingtonians I did live there 25 years) - as they used to say “You can’t beat Wellington on a Good Day” - they just don’t come often enough!

• Haha 1