Flights to Ft. Lauderdale and passport questions

beshears

I have booked the Horizon cruise for 8 of us in March. 

Time has flown by, and we have not booked our flights as yet, and they are very EXPENSIVE coming from Missouri in March, because of spring break.  My question, and I'm sure I know what most people will say, but thought I would ask anyway.  Since the flights are so expensive, I hate booking a hotel room for a couple hours before cruising.  Have you ever flown in early in the morning in March (I have done this in 19 cruises), and made it alright in plenty of time to the ship? (I have checked, and if the weather is bad, because the tickets are so expensive, I can change to the day before without a penalty.)

Also, to send off for a passport, do you know the charge or fee, or how we can find out?  Do we need to go to the Post Office to get this done first?

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Here's a link to the passport page for the State Department https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html it should give you all the info you need for applying. Traveling in March is always a crap shoot and if I were flying to the port I would do so the day before.

You are 100% correct !! Get to the port one day before.

I wouldn't want to waste the first day of my cruise sleeping because I spent all night/morning in an airport. You may also check into flying into Miami. I found flights and hotels in Miami to be less expensive. If you go that route figure in the cost of transportation to Fort Lauderdale as well.

• Like 1

I’d check all airports within driving distance to Ft Lauderdale. Go north up the coast and check West Palm Beach and even Ft Myers is about a 2hr drive. You can rent a large SUV or mini van for the day. Costco has cheap rental cars. I’d rather drive a little the day before than stress out the day of.

Also, to send off for a passport, do you know the charge or fee, or how we can find out?  Do we need to go to the Post Office to get this done first?

A passport can be renewed thru the mail //// however

If you are applying for a FIRST TIME passport, you must personally appear at a passport application acceptance officeSOME post offices qualify, and there are other places (or City Hall is one)  basic passport book is $110 (fast processing or other services can increase the cost)

The State Department link above < https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/ >has links to all the necessary information, including acceptance locations.  Note that some application sites require APPOINTMENTS and you should have your pictures IN HAND when you arrive. Ensure your birth certificate is a government issued ORIGINAL (hospital documents are NOT sufficient)

currently, routine processing is 6 to 8 weeks (if no problems)