Hairdryers and plugs

DTT

We are on the Riviera sailing November 25. Could someone please tell me are there hairdryers in the bathrooms and also what kind of plug adaptor do you need to plug something in? Thank you for your help. DTT

Speaking of hair dryers:   Are they regular hair dryers with adjustments such as low and hi and hot, warm, cool?   I don't want to haul a dryer if I don't have to but prefer something a step above the old "wall" dryers hotels used to have.

Hello, DTT!  I am also on this cruise!  I am taking a small (but powerful) travel hair dryer as the dryer on my last cruise, 28 days on Sirena last year, was very weak.  I asked for a replacement, but it was just as bad.  I had to buy a hair dryer in port.  If the power of a hair dryer is important to you for styling, then bring one.  If you just need something to dry your hair a bit, then the one on the ship is fine.  I do not know how often Oceania changes out hair dryers or upgrades them.  If the one on the Riviera is fine for my purposes, then I will use it.  If not, then I have a back up.  

4 hours ago, pna said:

Speaking of hair dryers:   Are they regular hair dryers with adjustments such as low and hi and hot, warm, cool?   I don't want to haul a dryer if I don't have to but prefer something a step above the old "wall" dryers hotels used to have.

Yes they have those  adjustments

I think they are 1500 w  but do not quote me on that

The one thing to know is that the only plug in the bathroom is for shavers and is very low voltage (or something along that line).  Hair dryers have to be plugged in at the desk/dresser. So don't count on drying your hair in the bathroom.

Just got off the Insignia and on each side of the bed was a USB plug and a European 2 round outlet.  On the desk was a US outlet, a European outlet and a USB outlet...for those electrical items that will work on either 110V or 220V, you would need the following converter plug to use your US items - https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-IPA-20-6P-Heavy-duty-European-Electrical/dp/B01DFSFGT8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=2+round+prong+adapter&qid=1574212802&sr=8-5

10 minutes ago, basor said:

Just got off the Insignia and on each side of the bed was a USB plug and a European 2 round outlet.  On the desk was a US outlet, a European outlet and a USB outlet...for those electrical items that will work on either 110V or 220V, you would need the following converter plug to use your US items - https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-IPA-20-6P-Heavy-duty-European-Electrical/dp/B01DFSFGT8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=2+round+prong+adapter&qid=1574212802&sr=8-5

That is NOT a  "CONVERTER," which would change the current (e.g., 220v to 110v). It is an "ADAPTER," which will accept the plug configuration on your device/appliance but NOT convert the voltage from 220v (the Euro plug) to 110v for American appliances that are not dual voltage (i.e., 110 or 220). 

Your appliance/device will have a label that says 110v or 220v or 110-220v (like most smart phone/laptop chargers).

Smart travelers from the US carry a set of these outlet adapters and use dual voltage appliances/devices. Then you can plug your stuff into any of the available outlets at your cabin's desk or bedside.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, basor said:

Sorry to say you confused the adapter with converter. As Flatbush Flyer  indicated,  an adapter is the device needed to make the US plug fit a European socket.  A converter is essentially a transformer that changes the voltage from 220 V to 110 V, so that the the (usually) motor or heater of the attached device (e.g fan, hairdryer, etc) which is not dual voltage doesn't burn out.

Edited by 1985rz1

9 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks for posting the pic. Still trying to decide whether or not to take my hairdryer. It’s heavy but works so well and fast. 

Are you staying anywhere pre/post where you'd need it.

12 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Good thinking. We have two nights pre cruise. With only the outbound flight then the cruise back to Sydney it’s a no brainer, I’ll take my own hairdryer. 

We have pre and post but they have dryers.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It would have to be a pretty "sketchy" hotel not to have readily available, adequate hair dryers.

As the saying goes "better safe than sorry." And our post is five nights in an airbnb in Buenos Aires.

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not the most popular word in the SF Bay Area these days....

Nope. I fight a lot of ethical/moral battles but I'm not fighting that one.  Hey, at least, I'll be able to go back to Chick Fil A!

9 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

But even 5* hotels often have pretty mediocre hairdryers.

What makes me nuts ... do you hear me "NUTS"??????????? - are the one where I have to keep my finger of the button or it will turn off.  Makes me nuts.  Oh, wait, I already said that.  MORE nuts 🙂

Well I have the solution to that!  Take some duct tape or similar with you whenever you travel and tape the button down in the ON position. It does mean that if you need to pause while drying you have to pull out the plug but that beats having to keep your finger on that button all the time. 😁

I have a roll of tape permanently in my suitcase.