cancel policy?

Hsmama

3 minutes ago, Hsmama said:

So I'm viewing some RCL cruise options for Nov.2020- it seems like the policy is if I had to cancel before Sept. 2020 I wouldn't be penalized,am I reading this right? Never sailed them before but this seems generous.

That is true IF you book a fare that includes a refundable deposit.  Such fares are always higher than fares that include a non-refundable deposit.  If you book a fare with a non-refundable deposit, there will always be a penalty for cancellation unless you purchase insurance and the cancellation is for a cause that is covered by that insurance. Refundable deposit fares are not available for the top suites (grand suites and higher).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hsmama said:

So I'm viewing some RCL cruise options for Nov.2020- it seems like the policy is if I had to cancel before Sept. 2020 I wouldn't be penalized,am I reading this right? Never sailed them before but this seems generous.

Note also that guarantee and full suite (Grand Suite and better) categories require non-refundable deposits.

Just now, Hsmama said:

thanks! So I guess I'm watching for refundable vs. non refundable deposits...correct? I would likely buy insurance anyway just in case 

The website defaults to pricing for non refundable deposits.  If you want to see refundable rates you need to go through the booking process to the end then you will see how much more it is for a refundable rate.

18 hours ago, actuarian said:

That is true IF you book a fare that includes a refundable deposit.  Such fares are USUALLY higher than fares that include a non-refundable deposit.  If you book a fare with a non-refundable deposit, there will always be a penalty for cancellation unless you purchase insurance and the cancellation is for a cause that is covered by that insurance. Refundable deposit fares are not available for the top suites (grand suites and higher).

There have been number of reports that, for some reason, non-refundable fares were less than refundable.

MOST time, non-refundable are cheaper.

18 hours ago, Hsmama said:

thanks! So I guess I'm watching for refundable vs. non refundable deposits...correct? I would likely buy insurance anyway just in case 

Be aware that if you're buying insurance to cover the deposit, you are still bound by the "reasons to cancel" part of the insurance policy.  So if you change your mind for any other reason, they won't refund your deposit.  For example, if you book then find out you need to attend a wedding, you still lose your deposit.  

Also be aware that you only lose $100 per person of your deposit.  The balance is issued in the form of a future cruise credit to be booked within one year. So if you're convinced you WILL cruise Royal Caribbean, you are only risking $100 per person with a non-refundable deposit.  

• Like 1