Noro on Marina

wcc19

26 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Besides the delayed boarding, a smart move would be to force all the B2Bers off the ship likewise and not allow them to reboard until the new arrivals do. This way the entire ship can be scrubbed down without guest spreading bugs while they’re trying to clean!

+1  put them up in a Turkish Bath and throw in the Sanitary Scrub as a freebee.

Wash your freaking hands, people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Amongst the O ships, Is it just coincidence, or why does Noro seem to mostly occur on the Marina? 

Once aboard a ship it’s hard to get rid of, but it’s primarily the passengers that are bringing it aboard and then spreading it.

I’ll never forget one of our Marina cruises a few years back when we had a minor issue with it aboard. Sitting in Horizons at Tea listening to this Woody Alan sound alike, look alike, act alike (down to the silly glasses ) NYer telling a co cruiser how sick  his wife was from it, and how sick he had been. He said he’d come to Tea hoping it would make him feel better! When the other guy asked if they’ Gone to medical, he responded “ Oh no! They would have quarantined us and I didn’t want that inconvenience!”  I reported him to the CD, but don’t know if anything was done. With people like that, how does a ship ever get the matter under control? My thought was to drag him outside and launch him from the 15th deck! 

A lot more more than just hand washing needs to be done!

Edited by pinotlover

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Amongst the O ships, Is it just coincidence, or why does Noro seem to mostly occur on the Marina?

This wouldn't explain "why Marina", but here's a thought.

I had the courage to ask a few other passengers I am traveling with. The consensus is we are given lousy toilet paper that falls apart as you use it, leaving all kinds of 'debris' where the sun don't shine.

Simply put, if you don't jump in the shower or bath afterward, you are leaving virus everywhere you sit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ClubSandwich said:

I had the courage to ask a few other passengers I am traveling with. The consensus is we are given lousy toilet paper that falls apart as you use it, leaving all kinds of 'debris' where the sun don't shine.

Simply put, if you don't jump in the shower or bath afterward, you are leaving virus everywhere you sit.

Well hopefully those with dirty bottoms are wearing clothes  when they are sitting on the chairs 😁

Thanks for the laugh good thing I was not drinking at the time   I read this 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Besides the delayed boarding, a smart move would be to force all the B2Bers off the ship likewise and not allow them to reboard until the new arrivals do. This way the entire ship can be scrubbed down without guest spreading bugs while they’re trying to clean!

My hope as well:  I board Jan 4, San Antonio Chile.  When I studied the itineraries between now and then, looks like continuous ‘occupation’ - there could be a number of rooms not empty at a disembarkation port, and therefore not thoroughly sanitized.  I’m sure Marina is not the only ship with such an ongoing schedule, but it sure contributes to health issues.

Question...............Do we all carry the virus all the time and therefore spread it when we do not carefully sanitise ourselves?   

Also, how can someone who has,  and has not recovered from the virus,  leave their bed/cabin.   I have experienced a GI illness on board a ship (despite always following the hand washing rule to the letter)  and there is no way I could have left our suite until I was completely recovered.  Mysteriously,  my husband was permitted to move about the ship and he did not succumb to the illness.   At the time I was told that at any time on board a ship at least 1% of passengers are unwell and this would not be considered an "outbreak".   (This was not on Oceania)     I think it must be a nightmare for all the crew involved in these situations, as trying to contain the problem when passengers will not cooperate sensibly and reasonably.    J   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ClubSandwich said:

Is that a typo? Did you miss the letter h outta your last word?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Oh no! They would have quarantined us and I didn’t want that inconvenience!”

That's is jaw-droppingly atrocious.  I think I'd have gone higher than the CD. She-gawd in non-heaven. So is it really mostly pax that start this or are crew equal opportunity contaminant.

5 hours ago, catsngoats said:

I board Jan 4, San Antonio Chile.

We board Dec. 7 in Rio.

9 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Is that a typo? Did you miss the letter h outta your last word?

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Well hopefully those with dirty bottoms are wearing clothes  when they are sitting on the chairs 😁

Haven't seen any passengers wearing Tyvek.

A side note:  The 'salt water' pool, after being closed for decontamination, is now something like a 9:1 chlorine bath.

For days now, watching the cleaning procedures throughout the ship, I've seen rigorous cleaning of all touching surfaces, but virtually none of the sitting surfaces. The infection spreads from person to person through particles of feces or vomit. I rest my case.

Also, there are still new cases as of last night and today. There was also at least one PVI that I am aware of.

7 hours ago, clo said:

We board Dec. 7 in Rio.

Godspeed. Every crew member I have spoken with said Brazil is the single worst offender for shipboard outbreaks of GI illness.

6 hours ago, ClubSandwich said:

Godspeed. Every crew member I have spoken with said Brazil is the single worst offender for shipboard outbreaks of GI illness.

Oh lovely. But I wonder what that means. PS: I love your screen name.

Edited by clo

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

PERU  is  another

53 minutes ago, Mura said:

When Noro broke out on our 2015 cruise the boarding port was Lima ... and I think the same thing happened the next year.  So I don't find that surprising at all!

As it was in 2018 when we were on Marina and a GI outbreak took place. Our cruise originated in Miami, but the problem did not start until after the passengers on the next segment boarded in Lima .

7 hours ago, ClubSandwich said:

BTW we've spent months in Rio (with small chunks of time in other places) and the only time I was sick was from salmonella from American made peanut butter that had been recalled but the store hadn't removed it from their shelves. And as I've mentioned I drink tap water, eat raw foods and on and on.

It is the inconsistency of the infection response that gets to me.  Many examples but I'll give one

When you go on an excursion, everyone goes to the lounge and hands their paper ticket to the guy and he hands back a laminated bus ticket. Honestly,  he might as well be shaking hands with everybody. And you can't tell me that they disinfect all of those bus tickets between ports.

But in the dining room you get a paper menu that gets destroyed after you touch it.  Makes no sense to me.

Definitely off topic but if anyone cares about dress code (I do) there definitely isn't one.

Sat beside a guy in the GDR last night wearing jeans and a T shirt.

Tonight in toscana there was a guy in a beer logo T shirt (Carlings!).

11 minutes ago, wcc19 said:

Definitely off topic but if anyone cares about dress code (I do) there definitely isn't one.

Sat beside a guy in the GDR last night wearing jeans and a T shirt.

Tonight in toscana there was a guy in a beer logo T shirt (Carlings!).

I imagine that when passengers and crew are ill, there is less conformity/supervision.  Emphasis should be on handwashing and cleanliness.

Pick your battles.

5 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I imagine that when passengers and crew are ill, there is less conformity/supervision.  Emphasis should be on handwashing and cleanliness.

Pick your battles.

That said, there is no reason the passengers should dine in Toscana in a beer logo T-shirt or jeans and T shirt in the GDR.

My interpretation is - welcome to the “new” Oceania rather than blame the Noro outbreak.

I do not put any blame on the tired/ill crew - they didn’t dress these passengers.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

The MD's  need to exert some authority & turn these people that do not meet the minimum dress code away

I mean really  O does not ask you to come in a suit/tie ..how hard can it be to put on a collared shirt 🤔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2