LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

6 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

When you get back from the tour, I wish both you and Dennis a great Thanksgiving dinner.  Sounds like the cruise has been pretty nice for you--so enjoy the ship and all it has to offer .

Thank you so much for the Thanksgiving wishes.  For those of you that do not celebrate Thanksgiving, it is a holiday that is spent with friends and family and is a time to reflect back on everything that we are thankful for.  Most, if not all, Regent cruisers should have many things to be thankful for (we certainly do). This is our third Regent cruise in a row that takes place during Thanksgiving.

Tonight, turkey was served in most (perhaps all?) dining venues.  We decided to go to P7 since CR can get very crowded.  The service was exemplary (thanks to Abraham and Vishnu).  The turkey and "fixins" were amazing.  We could not have asked for a better Thanksgiving dinner.

Our tour in Horta, Azores was wonderful.   The island has a beauty that reminds me of England and Northern Ireland (landscaped hills, etc.)  I did take a couple of photos that I will post later. There were 5 people in a 4 x 4 that could hold 6 (we had two 4 x 4's that stayed together).  Dennis was in the front passenger seat and loved it.  There were two negatives.  The small negative was that multiple buses were at two stops (we strongly dislike most bus excursions ....... way too many people).  The second negative was the German speaking couple behind us.  We have nothing whatsoever against people from Germany but they would not stop talking.  First it was the man reading something out loud to his wife (in German).  Then he was on the telephone ..... then she was on the telephone.  This went on for 90% of the excursion.  I will be mentioning this on our Final Questionnaire  and will suggest that Regent suggest "no cell phones" on buses or other vehicles being used on excursions as it is disruptive to other passengers.

So, we are now ready for 5 sea days.  This will give me time to post more photos, etc.  Someone mentioned that the Captain said that tomorrow will be rough.  I say "bring it on" (but may change my mind if the seasickness glasses don't work as well as I think that they do.)

Don't want to forget to thank those of you that have give input into what the flooring on Regent might be.  Will definitely heck it out when we get home.

Going to the show tonight and then to bed....... do not want to miss Black Friday (or Cyber Monday).  As an aside, all three of our kitties were adopted on Black Friday from the local Humane Society (two adopted 8 years ago and one 5 years ago.).  Adopting an animal is, in my opinion, is the best thing one can do for animals.  Just something to think about.

• Like 2

So this new thread is making me a little nervous.......New Regent Cruiser 5/2020.  Have things really changed that much with Regent and on Explorer?  Always heard such great things!  Another note..can you lovely travelers please post photos of the wine list currently in use?  Haven't seen that one.  Also how do we find out who to contact prior to the cruise, and when to contact, if we want to request specific wines on board for our trip.

Hope Thanksgiving was lovely for you........cold and raining here in Los Angeles!

1 hour ago, lesliebe said:

So this new thread is making me a little nervous.......New Regent Cruiser 5/2020.  Have things really changed that much with Regent and on Explorer?  Always heard such great things!  Another note..can you lovely travelers please post photos of the wine list currently in use?  Haven't seen that one.  Also how do we find out who to contact prior to the cruise, and when to contact, if we want to request specific wines on board for our trip.

Doubt you are looking for the list of wines by the glass, but if that helps you will find it in post #93 by TC2.  As to specific wines on board for your trip, have your TA contact Regent with your list.  Regent will let you know what they can/can't get.  If they aren't willing to provide it on an included basis, have them order and deliver it to the ship and pay for it with (trusting you have some) of your OBC.

Posting photos takes a good bit of time and can be slow.  So, please understand if photos are not posted readily.  As for tonight, the elves have been very busy(after their earlier Thanksgiving Parade) and many will be surprised to see the results.  The entire crew was involved and they were having a great time.  Fun to see!

2 hours ago, English Voyager said:

It might be the case that the wife did not speak. or understand, English sufficiently, and the husband was translating the commentary for her.

In any case, is a passenger incapable of saying something to them?

First, the internet when when we returned from our excursion was so bad that I could not keep a connection.  This is why there have to been no photos, etc

In terms of any couple talking on the telephone endlessly when on a bus or the small Jeep that we were in is simply wrong (IMHO). 

Of course I am capable of saying something to them but do not want to be rude (and in my opinion, it would have been rude).  The couple spoke English very well and he was not translating - first he was reading an article to her and then was on the phone.  Interestingly, outside of the Jeep, they were very friendly - we spoke to them on the elevator, etc.  I likely did not need to share the language they were speaking as it would have been just as annoying if they were speaking English.

Sheila - will check your email after I post.

Rick - you likely mis-treat your animals as much as we mis-treat ours😺

Leslie - agree with what Silver Sweeethearts about pre-ordering wine, spirits, etc.  

Thanksgiving was really special in P7.  They had their regular menu but also had turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans and their version of cranberry sauce.  All very yummy!  

Went to the show but did not stay.  Their “confusionist” just wasn’t our cup of tea.  

Woke up this morning to a beautifully decorated ship - lovely Christmas trees and other decorations.  It always amazes me how the crew can decorate overnight and still wake up for their jobs.   Occasionally, passengers go into the theater for a show and the ship is decorated by the time the show is over.  

As I write this, I realize that the majority of you in the U.S. are asleep so I have plenty of time today to take and post photos.  Will try one now (from our excursion ........ Horta is a gorgeous island.). Will take photos of the Connoisseur Wine List sometime today as well as activities for today.  

772EEFF3-9259-4BBB-9DFC-903B05979516.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a passenger engaged in a loud cell phone conversation on board our tour bus last week.  Another nearby passenger rebuked him immediately, stating that we all wanted to hear what the tour guide was saying.  Problem solved.   Sometimes we, the passengers,  need to call out our fellow passengers as the guides may be afraid to do so, lest they receive a bad review from that inconsiderate passenger.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

We had a passenger engaged in a loud cell phone conversation on board our tour bus last week.  Another nearby passenger rebuked him immediately, stating that we all wanted to hear what the tour guide was saying.  Problem solved.   Sometimes we, the passengers,  need to call out our fellow passengers as the guides may be afraid to do so, lest they receive a bad review from that inconsiderate passenger.

Interesting.  Do you think that it would help if Regent put a one line note on tickets stating that cell phone usage is not permitted on buses or enclosed vehicles?  They have done this in the theater and, may end up having the same issue in th dining rooms.  

It is good to know that the passenger on your bus complied with other passenger requests.  However, if you look at what ha happened on airlines the past year or so, fights ha ave broken out over putting your seat back, etc.  One ever knows the anger tolerance of someone (particularly when they are so rude as to speak loudly on phones in buses, restaurants, etc.). 

Posting aft of the ship for Gerry who is trying to determine the configuration of an aft Grand Suite.  I am pretty sure that the aft photo has three identical appearing decks - one of which is ours (deck 8) and I think the Grand Suite is deck 7?  Let me know if this helps.

FD434A41-6D80-429F-9EA2-834A86ED6B44.jpeg

E6CD7F46-8E79-4F71-AE36-B569B1E49865.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Posting aft of the ship for Gerry who is trying to determine the configuration of an aft Grand Suite.  I am pretty sure that the aft photo has three identical appearing decks - one of which is ours (deck 😎 and I think the Grand Suite is deck 7?  Let me know if this helps.

FD434A41-6D80-429F-9EA2-834A86ED6B44.jpeg

E6CD7F46-8E79-4F71-AE36-B569B1E49865.jpeg

Jackie -

you are a gem!   And yes, "our" Grand Suite is on Deck 7 (785)  which I suppose is right under your current suite.   The photo looks very good to me.  Too bad we have to wait so long!!   Merci!!   Gerry

My husband, who was in the Jeep with TC, was also really annoyed. He is pretty low key so know he wouldn’t have said anything.  Regarding cell phones on tours, 90%  of passengers use them to take photos, so it would seem an impossible rule.  I realize you

mean talking on them ....,

The amusing thing, is the 4x4 excursion we were on last week, also had a German couple( different couple) in the back seat talking constantly on their cell phones.  They also managed to spill a Coke all themselves and the floor of the Jeep. It was mildly annoying but the top was off on the jeep and so noisy ( plus the driver didn’t speak English to narrate) it really didn’t matter.

A few people on the bus tours have talked for a few moments on their phones, but really wasn’t an issue.   The bus tours themselves are another issue.  I am at the point of not ever wanting  to do another one.  Most of them have been ok, but the endless getting off and on, like

every 15 minutes gets old.  One would think

they could plan them with less stops and more time to enjoy the stops that are given. My other gripe is why is there always a stop (often not in the tour description) at someone’s gift shop, wine store, factory etc. where you are given way more time to buy stuff than necessary?

Perhaps it’s just this cruise, but I definitely think the excursions could be vetted by destinations to a higher degree.  I know the excursions have been a big topic lately for various reasons, so no point of going on about it again.

The Thanksgiving dinner in CR was couldn’t have been nicer!

We have 7 rescue dogs. Please consider adoption when thinking of getting a fur companion.  You won’t regret it.

• Like 4

THanks for the wine list.....looking forward to seeing the red!  Travelcat2 I believe you ended up at the Lisbon Four Seasons Ritz..was that you?  Glad you were happy there.

SO WINE by the GLASS in included/bottles extra?  Is that how it works????  Do they ever pour better wines by the glass?

50 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

THanks for the wine list.....looking forward to seeing the red!  Travelcat2 I believe you ended up at the Lisbon Four Seasons Ritz..was that you?  Glad you were happy there.

SO WINE by the GLASS in included/bottles extra?  Is that how it works????  Do they ever pour better wines by the glass?

In restaurants and lounges, wine is by the glass.  However, if you would like a bottle or two in your room (from the included list ....... that is hard to come by) you can have it.  I am not the right person to discuss wine quality.  I like what I like - the cost isn’t what influences me.  For instance, we love Veuvre Cliquot champagne over Dom Perignon and it is half the price of Dom (but like Cristal over anything).   One of my favorite red wines is by Sterling.

in my opinion, the quality of spirits on Regent is much better than the wine selection.  Thy have a great selection of top shelf spirits.  If the wines do not suit you, you can take your own bottle(s) on board ...... there is no corkage fee.  

Will post a couple of more pages and take a break and will finish later tonight or tomorrow.

Cannot upload right now (waited 1/2 an hour while doing other things). 

We will probably bring multiple bottles for the cruise..14 days.  And maybe buy some in Lisbon before we disembark.  I agree..I like what I like........Napa Cab!  lol  I will follow up with Regent early 2020 for included list so we can make decisions.

Happy cruising!

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Jackie -

you are a gem!   And yes, "our" Grand Suite is on Deck 7 (785)  which I suppose is right under your current suite.   The photo looks very good to me.  Too bad we have to wait so long!!   Merci!!   Gerry

Gerry,

We’ll be in a Grand Suite On deck 7 over Xmas.   Let me know if you want any interior pics or have questions. 

Oops - downloaded wrong photos.  I am watching the Cruise Consultant presentation and just learned that Regent will return to the Black Sea (in 2021 I believe).  The balance of 2022 and the beginning of 2023 itineraries will be out August 2020.

Leslie - we used to be into Napa Valley Cabernet’s ...... until we moved to Washington state.  Now we find Washington wines equal to California wines.  Regent does have some California wines onboard as well and they are quite good.

1 hour ago, Snore42 said:

Gerry,

We’ll be in a Grand Suite On deck 7 over Xmas.   Let me know if you want any interior pics or have questions. 

How kind!   If you are in 784 or 785 I would love to have pictures of the balcony. And may well have questions about the interior.   But there are "grand suites" and "grand suites".   We have booked 785 on the Splendor.   Grand Suites mid ship - lovely though they are - are not what we want..

Just hope you have a fabulous cruise which I am sure you will!