LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

I have more than enjoyed reading this thread and following along with your trip TC. We are newbies when it comes to sailing

on Regent having been on the Explorer last year for the first time. We were not new to cruising having sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ( also a couple of river cruises on Scenic). However, we were so impressed with everything about

Regent that we booked a cruise for April ,2020 on the Explorer  while on board and then another after getting home on the Splendor in Sept. , 2020. TC  I gained so much information from your previous posts and had wondered over the past few months where you disappeared to. It saddens to hear the reasons for you leaving and find it hard to understand why people would be so negative when you are just trying to help and share. Thank you for all you do to inform and update others about

the Regent experience.

Wishing you calm seas and fair winds!!

• Like 1

Regent should take note of your comments,   You have always been a Regent fan and this is the first post I have noted that you would consider looking elsewhere.  Connectivity, service, and audio considerations are easy fixes.   Why is a Regent not commenting?  

7 minutes ago, forgap said:

You have always been a Regent fan and this is the first post I have noted that you would consider looking elsewhere.

Well - she did sail Crystal a couple of months back - perhaps that's changed her mind 🙂

Do Regent really respond to passengers specific comments on these forums? I would be surprised if they did. However that's not to stop her raising them with Regent through various channels if they are issues which she wants to bring to their attention

It's too bad to hear about the service problems.  If you're a regular Regent cruiser or  New to Regent shouldn't matter.  You are paying for a standard of service and that standard should be maintained thought out the line on all ships and on all cruises.  That is why most people cruise Regent, one should expect and get what you're paying for no matter what.........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

How kind!   If you are in 784 or 785 I would love to have pictures of the balcony. And may well have questions about the interior.   But there are "grand suites" and "grand suites".   We have booked 785 on the Splendor.   Grand Suites mid ship - lovely though they are - are not what we want..

Just hope you have a fabulous cruise which I am sure you will!

Yes, 784.  

I wonder if growing from 3 ships to 5 and therefore spreading out the long time crew is causing a growing pain situation for crew and passengers.  We have been on 10 Regent cruises and not all have been a “10”.  Maybe this is just one of those.  Keep enjoying yourself and keep posting. 

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

It's too bad to hear about the service problems.  If you're a regular Regent cruiser or  New to Regent shouldn't matter.  You are paying for a standard of service and that standard should be maintained thought out the line on all ships and on all cruises.  That is why most people cruise Regent, one should expect and get what you're paying for no matter what.........

I completely agree with the above.  The fact that Travelcat2 is a frequent cruiser and has the perspective that things are usually better is of little benefit to those who are currently on the Explorer and experiencing multiple service issues.  We have an upcoming cruise booked next spring on Explorer and the internet connectivity problems that appear to exist at the moment are giving us pause and making us reconsider the trip.  Lack of reliable internet would be a dealbreaker for us.

I wouldn't read much into it.  Her comments were perfectly fine and had to do with the close supervision new staff were getting.  That, to me anyway, makes a lot of sense.

Seems like a lot of others are complaining about the slow internet though - and not only on the Explorer.   TC said somewhere that new, higher speed internet is being introduced and maybe until this comes in the "old" internet will be slower.   I haven't a clue about "hardware" but somehow I think relays have to be replaced to increase speed.  Maybe that is what is happening now.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

I wouldn't read much into it.  Her comments were perfectly fine and had to do with the close supervision new staff were getting.  That, to me anyway, makes a lot of sense.

Seems like a lot of others are complaining about the slow internet though - and not only on the Explorer.   TC said somewhere that new, higher speed internet is being introduced and maybe until this comes in the "old" internet will be slower.   I haven't a clue about "hardware" but somehow I think relays have to be replaced to increase speed.  Maybe that is what is happening now.

Gerry - glad you understood my post.  I think that it would be helpful if I attempted to explain it a bit better.

Firstly, posters seem to feel that our mini-cruises on Crystal and Celebrity means that we no longer like Regent.  These mini cruises (7 night west coast itineraries) are just for fun.  We even share information with Corporate about our non-Regent cruises.  To be clear, we will not be sailing on Crystal again for the following reasons:  ) Some service is exemplary and the rest simply is not.  2) There are two dining venues that we would not dine in again - ever.  The one restaurant that we loved, we were only able to dine there multiple times (with no cost) because we were in the top suite; 3)  The top suites on Crystal are under the pool deck (enough said about that); 4)  The per diem for that suite (on our specific cruise) was more than in a Regent Master Suite with the two bedrooms, 1 3/4 bathrooms and a balcony larger than the entire suite on Crystal's top suite (the Crystal Penthouse).  

Secondly, I do not like excursions any more (or less) than I did 5 years ago.  The issue of speakers/headphones (or whatever they are called) is not an issue.  We decided to stay with Regent when they started included excursions and have not changed our mind.

Internet (which is working well today has been a long standing issue.  I am not tech saavy so have no clue about it other than to feel that the internet has been the worst on this cruise than ever before.  Since Regent announced sometime this year that the internet's upgrade will be finished in January, 2020 (all ships), I assume that the error messages, etc. have to do,  Have to admit that I am concerned about losing this post so I will end it and conclude next.

The service issues are temporary (which could affect people new to Regent but the two couples that we spoke with felt that the service and food was great but had issues with excursions).  I do not think that I emphasized this enough.   It is not much different than the service on the other ships when they were training a lot of new crew.  As mentioned, 25% of the crew from each ship is going to Splendor.  

I spoke to someone onboard about the type of training that the new crew members.  It is quite extensive and there is a lot to learn (especially for those crew members that have never worked on a cruise ship before).  They have to learn how to make coffee, set the tables, etc. etc. etc.  It is my feeling that, when they actually board the ship and have to be part of an established team, it takes a while for the new crew member to adjust to  how fast paced service is - how demanding some passengers can be, etc. Must say that my first thought was that the training was poor but it does not seem that way.

When I post (or speak to others), I am 100% honest about Regent - whether it be positive or negative.  I do not think that the executives at Regent would want it any other way.  At the end of each cruise, I do write a "final letter" to Regent - letting them how the crew did (and always pick a "rising star" for each cruise).There is nothing on this thread that I would not say directly to Regent.

One benefit of having sailed two other luxury cruise lines is that I know which is the best for us and it is definitely Regent.  We are not going anywhere.  My DH was a bit frustrated yesterday with the internet.  NOTE:  I finally got a space in the Business Center (still think that they need more computers) and while I've been sitting here typing, two people have come in to thank the computer guy..... the system stayed up all night (quite an accomplishment for this cruise).

Will try to post photos again later.  I felt that it was important to explain yesterday's post as it sees to have taken on a life of its' own.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do not like excursions any more (or less) than I did 5 years ago....We decided to stay with Regent when they started included excursions and have not changed our mind.

Just a personal thought on much of what's been discussed.  I think this quote by Jackie sums things up pretty well.  Regent isn't just about included shore excursions, or drinks, or specialty dining.  It's about a total experience.  We all have things we like to do or use and things we don't.  We like the specialty dining enough, but don't really need it. So if I don't use P7 or Chartreuse, etc. should I get a discount?  If I don't drink or only drink wine or beer, should I get a discount?  Of course not.  Honestly, and just my humble opinion, Regent for me is simply a wonderful experience.  If all I cared about was shore excursions, I could cruise on a Mainline cruise ship in a top suite for less money and then "pay as I go."   I don't want Regent to start with the "nickel and dime" options.  And that's the "slippery slope" that you'll head down if you start with optional excursions, then optional specialty dining, then optional drink packages, you have just become another cruise line.  Just my opinion.

Thank you, Jackie, for your wonderful review.  I am enjoying, tremendously, "cruising" with you vicariously.  😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Just a personal thought on much of what's been discussed.  I think this quote by Jackie sums things up pretty well.  Regent isn't just about included shore excursions, or drinks, or specialty dining.  It's about a total experience.  We all have things we like to do or use and things we don't.  We like the specialty dining enough, but don't really need it. So if I don't use P7 or Chartreuse, etc. should I get a discount?  If I don't drink or only drink wine or beer, should I get a discount?  Of course not.  Honestly, and just my humble opinion, Regent for me is simply a wonderful experience.  If all I cared about was shore excursions, I could cruise on a Mainline cruise ship in a top suite for less money and then "pay as I go."   I don't want Regent to start with the "nickel and dime" options.  And that's the "slippery slope" that you'll head down if you start with optional excursions, then optional specialty dining, then optional drink packages, you have just become another cruise line.  Just my opinion.

Thank you, Jackie, for your wonderful review.  I am enjoying, tremendously, "cruising" with you vicariously.  😎

Excellent post "Papa"! Pretty much sums up the way we feel about Regent as well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Excellent phrase "Regent is about the total experience" -  just about says it all.

Agree - that phrase does say it all.  At lunch (delicious pasta with mushrooms).  Went to a cooking demonstration this morning.  They are always interesting.

It was announced this morning that we are sailing at the edge of a storm and will have to miss Bermuda.  The crew is disappointed because that is an overnight port.  Instead we are going to Puerto Rico (not overnight).  I’m fine with it — we have been to Bermuda multiple times and have tried every excursion.  We have only been there once.  I recall that it took forever for the ship to clear and it is the first port of entry in the U.S;; so we’ll do some kind of a face to face meeting for passport control.

Think that I’ll try to finish posting the Connoisseur Wine list. One page worked - the other failed.

701178A6-8A40-4E64-8133-C1AAA6EFC140.jpeg

We used our unspent onboard credit for a bottle of that Chateau Palmer with friends in CR.  It was excellent.  I brought the empty bottle home and it sits on the shelf with a few other memorable bottles.  Happy to see that it is still aboard.

What a shame about Bermuda.   I love that (those actually!) island(s).  Spent a lot of time there in the summers.  PR - one good thing is that as you have to go through US Immigration there it will save you time in Miami.   The old town area in San Juan is very pretty.   And the rain forest (el Junque?) interesting.   So I suppose this means another sea day?

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I agree with you, “Papa”. Regent is about the total experience, and we really like that experience. We are on this cruise also. Our experience has been quite good from efficient boarding to an excellent butler (Prakash) and cabin stewards, to good restaurant service with some familiar faces. I know tours can be hit or miss, but we have had 3 good ones, not crowded and run efficiently. Internet has worked pretty well for our needs, but I agree Regent needs to improve to keep up with the competition. Thank you, Jackie, for all you are posting and for taking the time to download pictures of menus, activities, etc., that takes a lot of patience 😊.

• Like 3

Jackie, your posts are amazing.  You have calmed me down a little..our 1st Regent Cruise is in May.  I have a 'questioning' husband..not a cruiser, and some of what was shared regarding service and excursions has put questions in my mind.

I look forward to the rest of your journey, and hopefully positive comments from the NEXT Explorer cruise..before we have to put down our final payment.

I understand transition..and understand now that 25% of the crew has been 're-located'.  Hopefully by May we will not notice a difference with the newly trained, and I'm sure, excellent staff!

But I agree, INTERNET needs to work better than I hear it does.....not for ME but for my still working husband!

I remember when the crew allocation thing happened before; it was when Riviera was launched.  We were on Voyager (I think) and they had future Riviera staff in training.  It all worked out, although I'm kind of glad it will all be done and dusted when we finally board Mariner for our WC in 2021.  I also hope that the internet issues have been stabilized (at least), and that the excursion quality doesn't go down because of syncing with NCL, nor the prices drastically gone up.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree - that phrase does say it all.  At lunch (delicious pasta with mushrooms).  Went to a cooking demonstration this morning.  They are always interesting.

It was announced this morning that we are sailing at the edge of a storm and will have to miss Bermuda.  The crew is disappointed because that is an overnight port.  Instead we are going to Puerto Rico (not overnight).  I’m fine with it — we have been to Bermuda multiple times and have tried every excursion.  We have only been there once.  I recall that it took forever for the ship to clear and it is the first port of entry in the U.S;; so we’ll do some kind of a face to face meeting for passport control.

Think that I’ll try to finish posting the Connoisseur Wine list. One page worked - the other failed.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In our NYC to Miami Navigator cruise a few weeks ago we had horrible weather during our two days in Bermuda, wish they had deviated and gone some place else! Hope you enjoy PR, Old San Juan should be very festive these days , in preparation for Christmas.