Sky Naming Ceremony

scott4020

Got this invite in email today.  So that's cool. No mention of Godmother.

Dear Princess Guest:

Because you are sailing on both the December 4-7 and December 7-14 voyages on Sky Princess, Jan Swartz, President of Princess Cruises, and Captain Heikki Laakkonen, Master of Sky Princess, cordially invite you to attend the Official Naming Ceremony of Sky Princess. Following the ceremony you are invited to join us for a gala luncheon prepared by the Executive Chef of Sky Princess, Nilo Palma, and his world-class culinary team.

As an In-Transit Guest, and as a matter of U.S. Customs procedures, you will be required to disembark the ship on December 7 for clearance as instructed by the ship’s staff. You do not need to pack and bring your luggage with you, but all guests must disembark in order to clear the ship. Once all guests have been cleared ashore, we will be given approval to start reboarding all in-transit guests for the ceremony.

The Naming Ceremony takes place in the Princess Theater at 11:30am. The gala lunch will be served from 12:45pm to 2:00pm and you will be assigned a dining room and seating area.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, scott4020 said:

Dear Princess Guest:

Because you are sailing on both the December 4-7 and December 7-14 voyages on Sky Princess, Jan Swartz, President of Princess Cruises, and Captain Heikki Laakkonen, Master of Sky Princess, cordially invite you to attend the Official Naming Ceremony of Sky Princess. Following the ceremony you are invited to join us for a gala luncheon prepared by the Executive Chef of Sky Princess, Nilo Palma, and his world-class culinary team.

As an In-Transit Guest, and as a matter of U.S. Customs procedures, you will be required to disembark the ship on December 7 for clearance as instructed by the ship’s staff. You do not need to pack and bring your luggage with you, but all guests must disembark in order to clear the ship. Once all guests have been cleared ashore, we will be given approval to start reboarding all in-transit guests for the ceremony.

The Naming Ceremony takes place in the Princess Theater at 11:30am. The gala lunch will be served from 12:45pm to 2:00pm and you will be assigned a dining room and seating area.

12 hours ago, scott4020 said:

Dear Princess Guest:

I got it also. Can’t wait to see who the Godmother is. Speculation is Meghan Markle, but of course not confirmed.

Congratulations on receiving this invitation!  Be certain to put this invitation and any other documents that you receive during the ceremony in your safe deposit box.  Many collect maritime memorabilia and whatever you can collect will probably be desirable for the collectors of such in the future.

I have a pretty silly question...but here goes!

The only formal wear I bring is a tux ( the only time I get to wear it ). The invite for the Naming Ceremony says Business suit. I really don't want to bring any more clothing. Will I look silly and out-of-place wearing my tux?

4 hours ago, westcliffo said:

The only formal wear I bring is a tux ( the only time I get to wear it ). The invite for the Naming Ceremony says Business suit. I really don't want to bring any more clothing. Will I look silly and out-of-place wearing my tux?

My opinion is a tux is too much for this. It is early in the day. It is in Florida. etc

12 hours ago, dog said:

My opinion is a tux is too much for this. It is early in the day. It is in Florida. etc

And the invite is for inside in the Princess Theater.

Although he might stand out in a tux walking into and out of the Princess Theater, once seated hardly anyone will notice what he is wearing.

Please forgive my ignorance but isn't holding a naming ceremony a bit late if you are doing it after your first cruise with passengers?  I've been to a number of US Navy Commissioning Ceremonies and I always thought these ceremonies take place after sea trials as the owner takes possession of the ship from the shipyard and places the vessel into service.  Doing the naming ceremony on a turnaround day between two sailings seems odd to me.  Maybe someone could please shed some light on this timing for me.  Anyway, congrats to those invitees and to Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd.

Just now, Daniel A said:

Please forgive my ignorance but isn't holding a naming ceremony a bit late if you are doing it after your first cruise with passengers?  I've been to a number of US Navy Commissioning Ceremonies and I always thought these ceremonies take place after sea trials as the owner takes possession of the ship from the shipyard and places the vessel into service.  Doing the naming ceremony on a turnaround day between two sailings seems odd to me.  Maybe someone could please shed some light on this timing for me.  Anyway, congrats to those invitees and to Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd.

They usually conduct ceremonies for the shipyard and the US if the vessel is due to change regions fairly soon after coming into service. So US employees/travel agents/ officials etc can also partake.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, westcliffo said:

Watch from your cabin in your robe.

• Haha 2