"The bow" on Signature Class ships

rafinmd

In Grand Turk yesterday I was docked next to the Nieuw Amsterdam and at sailaway got a birds eye view of the ship's bow:

P1020747.JPG.8224dd21faf49b6265a2c49e3d9b5ec2.JPG

I'm wondering, when people are allowed on the bow on these ships exactly where is that.  Is it the actual bow just above the diving boards with the masts and other things on the deck or is the big semicircular open area just above it.  Also, are those narrow spaces on the 2 decks just below the bridge open to passengers?  Are the Vista ships the same as the Signatures the same that way?

Thanks

Roy

I have been on the semicircular part of the bow twice on HAL:  Panama Canal while going through the locks; leaving San Juan after dark, which is a beautiful sail away with the fort all lit up.  The two decks below the bridge, I believe are accessible through the last exit door.   As for your last question, maybe someone else can answer that one.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Also, are those narrow spaces on the 2 decks just below the bridge open to passengers?

I think I see wooden benches on 6 & 7, which would imply that pax can go out there at least sometime.

The Vistas have a single-level bow:

Untitled.jpg.4ae47177d79bb0404556281d19b1993f.jpg

Edited by catl331

On the Nieuw Statendam (is that Signature?) we were occasionally allowed on the bow for "scenic cruising".  It was a Norway cruise and they would make announcements when it would be open, for example sail-away from Amsterdam and in the fjords. We were only allowed on the semi-circular portion which was accessed from deck 5. The lower pointy portion that sticks out the furthest forward was a crew deck.

ETA: I had the wrong class, but maybe my experience is similar to others.

Edited by SnowshoeCat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In Grand Turk yesterday I was docked next to the Nieuw Amsterdam and at sailaway got a birds eye view of the ship's bow:

P1020747.JPG.8224dd21faf49b6265a2c49e3d9b5ec2.JPG

I'm wondering, when people are allowed on the bow on these ships exactly where is that.  Is it the actual bow just above the diving boards with the masts and other things on the deck or is the big semicircular open area just above it.  Also, are those narrow spaces on the 2 decks just below the bridge open to passengers?  Are the Vista ships the same as the Signatures the same that way?

Thanks

Roy

In Alaska, the big semi-circular area (on Deck 5) and the narrow deck above it (Deck 6) are open on Glacier Bay viewing days.  Not sure about Deck 7. The lowest bow deck with the masts is not open.

Hi Roy,

Yes, the signature sisters (NA and Eurodam) allow guests on the "bubble" for bow viewing days only, not the lower level.

Those decks below the bridge were not accessible for guests when I was on the Eurodam last year, nor is there open deck on top of the bridge like the Vista class.  For those of us who like open forward areas, the Vista ships are better, IMHO, but not as good as the R and S class where you can actually look back from above the bridge along the side of the ship.

• Like 1

The open deck space forward on Deck 5 is open depending upon when the ship's Master chooses to do so.  Usually, in areas of scenic sailing, the deck is available.  But, not always.  There are two hatches forward on Deck 5, one on each side of the ship at the end of the corridors, that lead to that space.  My experience has been that only one is opened.  My suggestion is to check each side.  If one side's hatch is closed, the other side's may not be. 

There are two wooden benches, containing life jackets I recall, along the deck's bulkhead, but no other seating is available.   

• Thanks 1

We were allowed to go there sailing into Glacier Bay on the Westerdam. It seemed like not a lot of people knew about it or could figure out how to get there. There were maybe 10 people total on that deck.

9FB47A90-817A-4FB6-A7B5-05A1E5AF1C32.jpeg

1B15ED84-8374-4664-8007-DE2EC619EB20.jpeg

18 hours ago, Tapi said:

It seemed like not a lot of people knew about it or could figure out how to get there. There were maybe 10 people total on that deck.

People need to study the ship's deck plans, which they don't.  The so-called "secret doors" are not so "secret" if one does the appropriate research and then, once aboard, do some exploring.

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

People need to study the ship's deck plans, which they don't.  The so-called "secret doors" are not so "secret" if one does the appropriate research and then, once aboard, do some exploring.

Or better yet, just listen to the ship's announcements.  They made it pretty clear how to get to the bow on my last cruise.