Newbies to Labadee - Thoughts?

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

In about a month and a half, I will be onboard the Explorer of the Seas to Labadee, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. All of these ports will be new for me, and I have planned my days in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, but I have not finalized anything for Labadee.

Not being a regular Royal cruiser, I do not know much about Labadee, but I do know it's a private island, so I was just planning to go to the beach when we stop here. However, after reading some more cruise reviews, I feel like I should maybe think more about the destination. There will be another ship with us in port that day, the Serenade. Do you all think it will be too busy for a beach day? Also, is there free lunch like CocoCay, or is it like Grand Turk and Amber Cove, where you need to purchase food? I'm just trying to plan how long I will be off the ship, and whether or not they have drinks available for free nearby.

Also, are there any excursions or activities worth paying money for? We were planning on saving money in this port to splurge more of it in the ABC Islands, but I am totally open to being convinced into an excursion or paying for a certain experience. Just let me know!

Thank you so much in advance to anyone that can help me, happy cruising!

The beach and loungers are included in your day,as is lunch!  You don't have to spend a dime there to have a great day, unless you really want to!    They offer pricey cabanas/beds/ etc...and "amusement park-like" rides....so you CAN spend a bundle, but you really don't have to.  If you have a drink package, it will work on Labadee.  If no package, you simply buy what you want, if you want.

The 1st beach you come to will be the most crowded, and if it is, keep on walking until you find fewer folks.  

25 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

The beach and loungers are included in your day,as is lunch!  You don't have to spend a dime there to have a great day, unless you really want to!    They offer pricey cabanas/beds/ etc...and "amusement park-like" rides....so you CAN spend a bundle, but you really don't have to.  If you have a drink package, it will work on Labadee.  If no package, you simply buy what you want, if you want.

The 1st beach you come to will be the most crowded, and if it is, keep on walking until you find fewer folks.  

This is exactly what I want to hear, thank you! Any beach in particular you would recommend to spend our day at? Also, do you know of any places to get wifi while ashore?

On 12/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, OceansOfTravels said:

This is exactly what I want to hear, thank you! Any beach in particular you would recommend to spend our day at? Also, do you know of any places to get wifi while ashore?

FYI...cb at sea never returns to answer questions.  Our favorite beach at Labadee is Columbus Cove.  Walk down the pier and stay to the right.  We like it because there are trees for shade(you can put the free loungers wherever you can find space), the water is calm and one of the food venues is very close.  Sorry I don't have any wifi info.  Have fun! 🙂

They have two markets to buy stuff... one that kinda looks like a barn and is low pressure.  The other one is in the “way back” and is kinda sketch- very high pressure!  The high pressure one is interesting to do once, but I will never go back again- they do stuff like asking our if you want a free bracelet, then put

it on your wrist and then try to make you pay before you walk away.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

They have two markets to buy stuff... one that kinda looks like a barn and is low pressure.  The other one is in the “way back” and is kinda sketch- very high pressure!  The high pressure one is interesting to do once, but I will never go back again- they do stuff like asking our if you want a free bracelet, then put

it on your wrist and then try to make you pay before you walk away.

I am a little confused now. Is the food not free on this private island like it was at CocoCay? I remember when we went to CocoCay in 2016, we got lunch for free on the island. Is that not the case for Labadee? My thing is, I'm not going to spend a full day on the island and pay for lunch when I can just spend half of the day on the beach, then go back to the ship for lunch and rehydration, then spent the rest of the afternoon sunning on the top deck. That's what I'm trying to plan.

23 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

I am a little confused now. Is the food not free on this private island like it was at CocoCay? I remember when we went to CocoCay in 2016, we got lunch for free on the island. Is that not the case for Labadee? My thing is, I'm not going to spend a full day on the island and pay for lunch when I can just spend half of the day on the beach, then go back to the ship for lunch and rehydration, then spent the rest of the afternoon sunning on the top deck. That's what I'm trying to plan.

The food is free on labadee

On 12/5/2019 at 3:20 PM, OceansOfTravels said:

Depending on our arrival time at Labadee, sometimes we spend the morning there then return to the ship in time to eat a late  lunch. Then as you say, we get a  spot by the  pool before everyone else returns. As stated earlier, Columbus cove is a very nice beach. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, Rala said:

FYI...cb at sea never returns to answer questions.  Our favorite beach at Labadee is Columbus Cove.  Walk down the pier and stay to the right.  We like it because there are trees for shade(you can put the free loungers wherever you can find space), the water is calm and one of the food venues is very close.  Sorry I don't have any wifi info.  Have fun! 🙂

How many beaches do they have?

You mentioned you can put the free loungers wherever you find space...Where do these loungers come from? (I'm sitting here picturing them handing you a lounger to carry around until you find a spot. So loungers are free for sure? I thought I seen RC's excursion site saying it was $45 for a lounger for 2?

So, food is free and drinks as well if you have a package. I assume that a soda package qualifies for that as well?

Any update on any wifi spots there?

On 1/10/2020 at 11:28 AM, mitsugirly said:

How many beaches do they have?

You mentioned you can put the free loungers wherever you find space...Where do these loungers come from? (I'm sitting here picturing them handing you a lounger to carry around until you find a spot. So loungers are free for sure? I thought I seen RC's excursion site saying it was $45 for a lounger for 2?

So, food is free and drinks as well if you have a package. I assume that a soda package qualifies for that as well?

Any update on any wifi spots there?

Yes, single person loungers are definitely free...the 2-person loungers (clamshells) do come with a charge.  Soda pkg. entitles you to whatever it entitles you to onboard the ship.  Just think of Labadee as an extension of the ship..whatever is free onboard is free on Labadee.  Hope you have a great time.  P.S.  Sorry, I don't have any wifi info.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, Rala said:

Yes, single person loungers are definitely free...the 2-person loungers (clamshells) do come with a charge.  Soda pkg. entitles you to whatever it entitles you to onboard the ship.  Just think of Labadee as an extension of the ship..whatever is free onboard is free on Labadee.  Hope you have a great time.  P.S.  Sorry, I don't have any wifi info.

That's good to know about the soda package! I hope it's not too hard to find places to actually get anything to drink.

There are lots of places for drinks, servers also walk around taking drink orders. There will be two large food stations (possibly 3). This is all brought from the ship(s) and then cooked on shore (huge outdoor bbq). 

If you walk off the ship to the entrance keep going straight, jump on the train or keep walking all the way to the end. You will see the floating bar out in the water underneath the zip line. There are plenty of chairs here that are free. It is also close to a couple of bars and one of the food stations and also a washroom.

one of our favorite stops, enjoy!! 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:08 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

I think there are at least 3 bars (and they would have soda), including the swim up bar.

Which beach is the float up bar on? Does anyone know if snorkeling is interesting at any of the beaches? 

Not much to snorkel for on Labadee.... just use it as a beach day.  

There are loungers all over the beach areas -- they don't hand them out and make you carry them.  

There's a buffet (free) near where you get off the pier, and there's another buffet over by Columbus Cove.