Meraviglia Smell?

oceantriumph

Mama Mia, here we go again!

We read a lot of bad reviews about Seaside smelling bad like "sewage" in her early sailings, but never felt any smells as she was spotless on our sailings 

Now, I just read a review about someone saying there is a bad smell / smell of sulfur on the top decks of Meraviglia. Can anyone pitch in? Did the experience this?

We're starting to think no MSC reviews can be started as our experience has been in stark contrast to those in reviews...even in Yacht club when we are in lower classes?!

Every cruise ship will have the sulfur smell at times on the top decks. This is due to the emissions of the engines. A lot of times it will depend on the direction of the ship and the winds as to how bad it really is. 

So, here's my two cents. All ships have a sewage smell at times. It's just a function of life at sea. There are sewage pipes venting on top floors which smell and occasionally we get a whiff. The sewage systems are complex on many ships and sewage smells also come from toilets backing up. Not pleasant, but it's life at sea. Anyone who has cruised for years accepts this.

HOWEVER: This is COMPLETELY different than sewer-gate that happened on Seaside. By MSC's own admission, the sewage smell that plagued Seaside was caused a design flaw in construction.  My understanding is that the sewage pipe was placed too close to an intake vent. In other words, the sewage smell was sucked back in and pipped through the ship which made for a very unpleasant experience for many passengers. MSC needed a full 6 months to fix the issue (parts needed to be manufactured). It was a real issue, documented by many guests. So many on here tried to down play it as no issue, but again, MSC admitted to the faulty design so that argument was ridiculous. 

Since this is the first I've read of a sewage issue on Mera, I tend to believe that there isn't a design flaw on this ship (as there was with Seas and the smell may just be typical s*it at sea :). 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Since this is the first I've read of a sewage issue on Mera, I tend to believe that there isn't a design flaw on this ship (as there was with Seas and the smell may just be typical s*it at sea :). 

I read of this issue weeks ago on the Meraviglia and hoped it was temporary. I'm on board now and our bathroom (in YC) has a definite sewage gas type smell. It's been there since day one and persists now on day 6.

1 hour ago, TrustMeI'mANurse said:

I read of this issue weeks ago on the Meraviglia and hoped it was temporary. I'm on board now and our bathroom (in YC) has a definite sewage gas type smell. It's been there since day one and persists now on day 6.

Oh no :(. Please try what Sid suggested. Pour a significant amount of water down each drain in the bathroom. Apparently the drains can dry up and allow the smell to filter in. Also, a wet washrag over the drains can help.

What floor and room number please? This will help future guests know if this issue is isolated to one area of the ship.

Personally, I'm very sensitive to sewer smell and this would put a huge damper on my vacation. Have you tried to ask for a fix? If so, what was the response?

Best to you! I would not be a happy camper :(. 

18 hours ago, GMS4771 said:

Sitting on the Meraviglia right this very second. Sailing back from Cozumel, next to Cuba. No smell at all. Probably RCL or NCL trollers 

That's not very nice. Nothing from the poster indicate they have ever sailed NCL or RCL as celebrity looks to be their history. I'd surmise that it's much more likely that you are simply sitting in an area not effected before I'd call another poster a troll., but that's just me. 

4 minutes ago, GMS4771 said:

BermudaBound2014, pull up on the reigns. I never said anything about the OP they were referring to hearing it from someone. Find your safe place and listen to passenegers currently on the ship

I was referring to "trustmenurse' because she was currently on the ship (with you), in the YC area (with you).  So, technically I was listening to passengers currently on the ship :).  But I'll 'pull up the reigns' 😉

Sailed on the Meraviglia for the repositioning cruise and there wasn't a sewer smell. The only place I smelled the sulfur was in the aqua park but this was tucked right behind the smoke stack. There were also pieces of soot falling into the aqua park when the smell was occurring. Other than this one place, I never smelled any sulfur anywhere else on the ship.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GMS4771 said:

Sitting on the Meraviglia right this very second. Sailing back from Cozumel, next to Cuba. No smell at all. Probably RCL or NCL trollers 

I don't believe that they are trolling.  Things like sewage smells and soot get widely varying posts on ships.  These things are like mystery clouds in a Scooby Doo mystery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what its worth.....Seaside was smell free on our Thanksgiving week cruise.... with the exception of a middle eastern individual who ate 8 hard boiled eggs and a huge plate of french fries for dinner in the YC right next to us one evening!! lol

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Yes there is a smell. I'm on Mera YC and the septic gassy smell is real. The smell has gotten worse over the week, it's not constant.

This morning it's stinky, We  probably notice it more because we're in the room because it's a sea day. 

Where is the smell ? Have you reported to your butler or hotel director ? We sailed on Meraviglia in YC (Sept. 2019) and noticed NO smell. I hope they analyze the problem and fix it quick.

Edited by SirWolf

1 minute ago, SirWolf said:

Where is the smell ? Have you reported to your butler or hotel director ? We sailed on Meraviglia in YC (Sept. 2019) and noticed NO smell. I hope they fix analyze the problem and fix it quick.

It's definitely came from 

the bathroom. I'm not smelling it now. 

The smell would have needed to be addressed if it stayed constant like this morning. 

On 12/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, slei15 said:

Every cruise ship will have the sulfur smell at times on the top decks. This is due to the emissions of the engines. A lot of times it will depend on the direction of the ship and the winds as to how bad it really is. 

I haven’t read all of the responses but agree with the above. To date we have cruised over sixty times and on most ships there was “some” type sewer smell somewhere on the ship. I look at it as a normal part of cruising.😊