Internet simply to do Southwest check-in on last cruise day?

brianosaur

Is there a bare minimum internet plan that I would use only to check into my flight on the last day of my cruise?

Will be on the Breeze this Saturday, and the last day is a Sea Day.

I never really use internet onboard, as I usually try to *unplug* while away ...but that's just me.

Occasionally I have used port wifi or my included data/text plan with Tmobile while at port.

I know you can pre-pay for the Value Internet Plan for $6.80/day (+15% onboard) but Carnival wants you to sign up for the whole cruise if you do it before you sail.

Can you pay for only 24 hours on the ship?  Or like 15 minutes?

I really only need like 5 minutes to check in 24 hrs before my flight leaves. 

Tnx

Edited by brianosaur

1 hour ago, brianosaur said:

Is there a bare minimum internet plan that I would use only to check into my flight on the last day of my cruise?

I never really use internet onboard, as I usually try to *unplug* while away ...but that's just me.

Occasionally I have used port wifi or my included data/text plan with Tmobile while at port.

I know you can pre-pay for the Value Internet Plan for $6.80/day (+15% onboard) but Carnival wants you to sign up for the whole cruise if you do it before you sail.

Tnx

Did you purchase early bird? If you did there is no need to check in, the computer will check you in 36 hours prior to departure. You can just get your boarding pass when your at the airport. 

• Like 2

They do not have internet by the minute. You would have to buy at least the Value package for a 24 hr period. I recently paid $16 a day for that package onboard the Splendor.

It might be easier to just get Early Bird check in before you leave home, and then you don’t have to worry about it when you get on the ship.

Edited by crzndeb

11 hours ago, jennas_mum said:

On my last cruise we went to guest services and they checked us in for no charge. 

Donna

Wow!  Thats awesome.  Will try that first.

And BTW:

Yeah, early bird check-in isn't a 'small fee' anymore.

They want $25 PER TICKET!  (they state, "fees *starting* at $15")

Since there is four of us I didn't feel like spending $100 for their 'convenience" option.

I dont earn $100 for 10 minutes of work, so the few minutes it would take on board isn't a wash for me.

Checking in at port is useless because it will only be 4 hours before takeoff and I may as well just do it at the airport and get seats C56- C60 from there.  Last time we did that, we sat with our backs to the bathroom bulkhead, couldn't recline, and had lurkers standing next to us in the isle the whole time to use the facilities.

If guest services wont/cant do it I'll pay the $16 for 24hrs of wifi, save $86, use the app on my phone for 5 minutes while I sip a drink at the pool, and then sit in the middle of the plane with the usual middle B seats.

Thanks for all the input!

Edited by brianosaur
  • Like 3

I usually just wait until we're back in port that morning and have almost always still received a "B" boarding assignment.  I actually prefer that to A since they board "families traveling with small children" between A & B.  That way, I can see where the might-scream-all-the-way-home kids are seated by the time I board. 😜

• Like 2

We always do early-bird check-in through Southwest, that way we don't have to worry about it. It checks us in automatically. Then Southwest (and pretty much every other airline) has an app where you get your boarding passes. No need for paper boarding passes. 

• Like 1

Do you have a friend or relative who would be willing to check in for you?  That’s what we do (and we have an awesome daughter  that always checks us in exactly 24 hours in advance so that we get a primo boarding slot.) 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, brianosaur said:

Tnx

This summer, for the first time ever, I bought the Early Bird check in for our flights home. It was totally worth it. Just had to show up at the airport and get our boarding passes.

Edited by ctsharpie05

38 minutes ago, coevan said:

what is wrong with this option, download boarding pass to phone, no ship internet needed

That only works if you are in a port less than 24 hours before your flight.  Many cruises that is not true.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brianosaur said:

Tnx

There are 2 possible other options - 

1. Make friends with somebody (from a role call, fb group, or just a friend onboard) that has internet and as to borrow it for 5 minutes the last day

2. (Mentioned Earlier) - get somebody back home to check in for you.  I have had my brother do this for you, but only works if you have somebody that you trust.  

The 24 hours should also work, and may be the simplest if guest services can't/won't do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coevan said:

what is wrong with this option, download boarding pass to phone, no ship internet needed

He stated in his original post that his last day onboard is a sea day, so he would need the internet on that sea day to check in. I don’t think he’s  worried about loading his boarding pass to phone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I usually just wait until we're back in port that morning and have almost always still received a "B" boarding assignment.  I actually prefer that to A since they board "families traveling with small children" between A & B.  That way, I can see where the might-scream-all-the-way-home kids are seated by the time I board. 😜

I've checked in at the 24 hour mark a few times and still gotten the B group.

Heck once I bought the early bird and still got the B group.😲

The last several times we’ve tried to check in on the last day the internet service was so slow we couldn’t even load the Southwest web site, and we had paid for the “faster” internet plan.  Tried on my iPad from our cabin and even tried at the Internet cafe.  There were other guest trying other airlines and couldn’t connect either.  Didn’t know Guest Services would help, maybe that’s the best option.

Edited by jackhall226

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

that would work fine except he still has to check in 24 hours before his flight. It' not the boarding pass he is worried about.

You don’t HAVE to check in 24 hours before. You can do it when the ship reaches port. Yes, you won’t be first on but everyone on the plane will get there at the same time.

7 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You don’t HAVE to check in 24 hours before. You can do it when the ship reaches port. Yes, you won’t be first on but everyone on the plane will get there at the same time.

That is true but you also run the chance of not sitting with your traveling partner And/or family

• Like 1