Category upgrade from deluxe balcony

lovcruzing

I would think maybe the next level for an upgrade would be an non obstructed regular balcony deluxe.  I don't think it would be a balcony.  I don't see how that would be an upgrade?    There is a slight possibility of an upgrade.  But, seems like all the talk is how Princess is now offering upsells, not not many upgrades.

I am not sure what you mean by purchasing a guarantee with an upgrade.  I have never heard of that.  Are you wanting to upgrade once you get a cabin assignment?

Edited by PRINCESS Sweet Pea

Where will you be cruising?   Most Princess ships and itineraries get pretty sold out.  Especially during high season for that area. So, you might not want to place too high hopes on an upsell or upgrade.

In that category, on the newer ships, there are cabins in this category, midship, some with no big obstruction and some with a bigger balcony.  Midship.   If one of these that you like is still available, and you can rebook,  you could think about locking in one of those cabins.

I know that there can be no refund on deposit.  But, I wonder, with some luck, if you could not, in some way, rebook and not lose that deposit?   I wonder if Northern Europe that early in the season would be one that would expect to be sold out?  We have looked at a European Cruise, and it is getting booked up already!!!   And, flights are another thing. 

In any case, you could luck out with an upgrade or upsell.   That would be so nice!   An upgrade to the next category would probably be a balcony deluxe, but not obstructed.   If you do get an upgrade or upsell,  at that time, you can check availability and choose an available cabin in that category.  You don't have to automatically take the one they are showing.

Edited by PRINCESS Sweet Pea

12 hours ago, lovcruzing said:

I purchased a deluxe DW cabin with an upgrade from there.

Thank You

All Princess bookings default to upgrade will be accepted unless the booking is specifically marked no upgrade. Keep watching the cruise personlizer for your cabin assignment. The lowest cat. you will receive is DW. All deluxe balcony cabins have the same interiors. Upsells have become more common. You could be offered one.

• Like 1

It appears to me that a regular unobstructed balcony cabin costs more on Regal than a Deluxe Balcony Obstructed cabin.  Would Princess consider it an upgrade to put you in a regular unobstructed balcony cabin, (not deluxe?)  You would lose the love seat in the deluxe and they removed the extra chair so there would only be one chair in the cabin.  I'd make sure they would check with you before just giving you an 'upgrade.'

• Like 1

When you look at the cabin categories on the Princess site you see that all of the balcony cabins start with a “B” and deluxe start with a “D”.  You can’t be downgraded to a lower category. For example you can’t be downgraded from a “low” category balcony to a high category outside or inside. 

• Like 1

Daniel, I wonder if there is some confusion.   The regular "B" category balcony cabins are smaller.  It is the Balcony Deluxe that are a bit bigger, with the little love seat.  Depending possibly on location and other factors, such asa category selling out, a balcony deluxe that has the obstruction should almost aways show a higher rate than at standard balcony cabin with the obstructed view.

4 hours ago, pilot said:

When you look at the cabin categories on the Princess site you see that all of the balcony cabins start with a “B” and deluxe start with a “D”.  You can’t be downgraded to a lower category. For example you can’t be downgraded from a “low” category balcony to a high category outside or inside. 

This is correct.  You won't be "upgraded" from a "Dx" to a "Bx".  As I type that, I now wonder if a "Dx" will upgrade to a Premium Balcony (B# - B#)?  The obvious answer is to ask a Princess sales rep if not sure.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, lovcruzing said:

Anyone know?  I purchased an obstructed guarantee balcony deluxe with an upgrade on Regal

On 12/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, lovcruzing said:

I purchased a deluxe DW cabin with an upgrade from there.

Thank You

These initial posts were a bit cryptic and confusing to me.  I think you may have been telling us what you booked and that your reservation is flagged as "willing to accept upgrade".  This is actually the default status for all bookings and some folks will request "No Upgrade" flag as they do not wish to be moved. 

You can book any category of cabin and have it flagged for accepting upgrades (other than the very top suite on each ship of course).

You cannot make a booking and have an automatic upgrade included.  Certain sales let you book into a higher category (eg. "DB") and pay the lowest category price (eg. "DF").  But you are never guaranteed an upgrade with a booking.

19 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Daniel, I wonder if there is some confusion.   The regular "B" category balcony cabins are smaller.  It is the Balcony Deluxe that are a bit bigger, with the little love seat.  Depending possibly on location and other factors, such asa category selling out, a balcony deluxe that has the obstruction should almost aways show a higher rate than at standard balcony cabin with the obstructed view.

No, there's no confusion on this end.  I'm familiar with the Deluxe Balcony cabins as they are my preferred category on Royal Class ships.  An Obstructed Deluxe Balcony cabin (Cat DW) on a Regal sailing from Paris next May costs $2539/pp.  An Unobstructed Balcony cabin (Cat BE) is going for $2689/pp or $150 more.  My concern for the OP was whether or not Princess would consider a move from a DW to a BE an upgrade since the BE sells for more money.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:52 PM, steelers36 said:

These initial posts were a bit cryptic and confusing to me.  I think you may have been telling us what you booked and that your reservation is flagged as "willing to accept upgrade".  This is actually the default status for all bookings and some folks will request "No Upgrade" flag as they do not wish to be moved. 

You can book any category of cabin and have it flagged for accepting upgrades (other than the very top suite on each ship of course).

You cannot make a booking and have an automatic upgrade included.  Certain sales let you book into a higher category (eg. "DB") and pay the lowest category price (eg. "DF").  But you are never guaranteed an upgrade with a booking.

My guess is the OP booked under a promotion that includes "free upgrade". Based on some past posts, some people think that means you'll receive the "free upgrade" later. It doesn't. It's what steelers36 said in the last paragraph. Pay the xF rate and get an xB (usually xA rooms are excluded as are premium rooms (those with numbers rather than letters as the second character)). So all IB to IF are the same price as are OB to OF, BB to BF, and DB to DF. And, from what I've seen, all obstructed of a given type (oceanview obstructed on most ships, balcony and deluxe balcony on Royal-class ships) are the same price but lower than the non-obstructed price. So, as the OP mentioned a deluxe balcony obstructed on Regal Princess, all are already the same category (DW) so there is no free upgrade path from them.

Edited by lstone19
Typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

My guess is the OP booked under a promotion that includes "free upgrade". Based on some past posts, some people think that means you'll receive the "free upgrade" later. It doesn't. It's what steelers36 said in the last paragraph. Pay the xF rate and get an xB (usually xA rooms are excluded as are premium rooms (those with numbers rather than letters as the second character)). So all IB to IF are the same price as are OB to OF, BB to BF, and DB to DF. And, from what I've seen, all obstructed of a given type (oceanview obstructed on most ships, balcony and deluxe balcony on Royal-class ships) are the same price but lower than the non-obstructed price. So, as the OP mention a deluxe balcony obstructed on Regal Princess, all are already the same category (DW) so there is no free upgrade path from them.

Aha!  That would make sense.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1