Ionafest 2020

molecrochip

Yes G010 has always been on sale right from the launch date. I've just had a look at my advance brochure. No mention that it was going to be the official naming cruise though. Some folks will lap it up but it would not be for me.

1 hour ago, bungle66 said:

Yes G010 has always been on sale right from the launch date. I've just had a look at my advance brochure. No mention that it was going to be the official naming cruise though. Some folks will lap it up but it would not be for me.

We are booked and after being offered a free move or cancel have stuck with it. It is now much more expensive than we paid on opening day. Outside is now fr 1600 each for saver and we paid 875 each Select).

We will take it as it comes on the first night, it might be good, who knows. We are missing Stavanger but not too bothered about that.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't know a single one of those so-called "celebs"?  Might have heard of Jo Whilley but that's it.

I'm with you there Jean, must be our age!🙂

I have to admit I have never understood how a DJ could be a celebrity, all they do is play records.

I'm booked on this cruise, I did enquire about changing cruise dates but our category cabin was not available on the other dates we could make (unless we paid todays prices to upgrade). Have zero interest in Ionafest, hopefully we can find somewhere quiet to relax on the first night lol. 

Yes we saved money on todays prices, paid just over 850 for a standard balcony but most people who book on opening tend to save.

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt I would pay extra to cruise on this sailing, and I confess I am at a loss to know why P&O consider a ship load of DJ's would appeal to their standard clientele.  But I suppose it might appeal to some people.

I assume Ant and Dec either weren't available or were considered to be too upmarket for Iona 😁

16 hours ago, happy v said:

Even if you don't like the entertainment I think they are going to make this cruise special so there should be lots to do.

I hope they haven't forgotten about the people who booked the maiden though.

Indeed. Having booked the  maiden it now feels like an anticlimax. Mind you I'd pay to avoid Sara Cox!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mrtidy said:

Well i for one think this sounds great fun and ive heard of all of these people, well done P&O for doing something a bit different. 

Completely agree. I also recognise all and would enjoy this cruise.

If you ever needed proof that P&O are moving their sights to a different clientele, you now have it. This is firmly aimed at the 25-44 target audience who may/not have kids with them. P&O really are starting to split between adults only classic smaller ship cruising and family friendly  modern British cruising on larger ships.

The market is big enough for both so I see no issue. It will just mean that people avoid some ships, whichever ways that is.

^Yep, they are certainly shifting to a different demographic, but its not going to be easy to balance it between those two categories.

It does feel like the adult only ships are slowly being phased out, as family ships are the companys's bread and butter.

But hey, we all don't like the same thing, so I understand they have to have a broad appeal.

If they had some of the DJs on the adult only ships, I'd be fine - as I said previously, I'd happily listen to all three of them. I'm just not one for this "festival at sea" type thing. (And I fit in that criteria mentioned above).

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Completely agree. I also recognise all and would enjoy this cruise.

If you ever needed proof that P&O are moving their sights to a different clientele, you now have it. This is firmly aimed at the 25-44 target audience who may/not have kiThis is firmly aimed at the 25-44 ds with them. P&O really are starting to split between adults only classic smaller ship cruising and family friendly  modern British cruising on larger ships.

The market is big enough for both so I see no issue. It will just mean that people avoid some ships, whichever ways that is.

Do many 25-45 year olds listen to radio 2?

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do many 25-45 year olds listen to radio 2?

I think Radio 2 are trying to play to a slightly younger audience like P&O with Sara Cox etc. 

We would be happier with Ken Bruce and Steve Wright... 

Everybody wants a bit of every pie these days. 

Andy 

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Radio 2’s core market is 35-45 hence why Cox, Nelson etc were popular on Radio 1 15 to twenty years ago.

It might be its core, but how many 35 year olds want to listen to Elaine Paige or Michael Ball etc?

As I said earlier, everyone wants a bit of every market. 

Andy