Ventura broken down?

AndyMichelle

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I just hope the rumours on FB that Ventura will be out of action for 4 weeks are not true as we are due on her for New Year... 

We might have to do a tour of the UK knocking on your doors for a bit of dinner... 😊

Andy 

Don’t worry about rumours, they are seldom correct however you would be welcome to a plate of stovies, some black bun and a dram or 3.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I just hope the rumours on FB that Ventura will be out of action for 4 weeks are not true as we are due on her for New Year... 

We might have to do a tour of the UK knocking on your doors for a bit of dinner... 😊

Andy 

The guy who posted that rumour has now admitted it  was a joke. Good job too as we ae on the NY cruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

If I knew what any of that was, I'm sure I would love it... 

Thank you 

Andy 

Without taking this horrendously off topic .. stovies are a Scottish dish of cooked down potatoes, onions and sausages or corned beef (there's a bit of a strong viewpoint there), black bun is a traditional very dark fruit cake wrapped in pastry eaten on Twelfth night, and I'm sure everyone knows what a dram is.

12 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Without taking this horrendously off topic .. stovies are a Scottish dish of cooked down potatoes, onions and sausages or corned beef (there's a bit of a strong viewpoint there), black bun is a traditional very dark fruit cake wrapped in pastry eaten on Twelfth night, and I'm sure everyone knows what a dram is.

Thank you for explaining. 

Sounds delicious. 

Andy 

Hi, Andy

Don't believe everything you read on Facebook etc, when anything like this occurs, the "rumungerers " always come out of the woodwork.

Having spoken to P&O today they confirmed that it is anticipated that ongoing repairs "should " sort the problem with the engine room distribution panel and the ship will be available for  next Tuesdays cruise.

What does the song say, " accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative "

Clive

15 minutes ago, hamish123 said:

Hi, Andy

Don't believe everything you read on Facebook etc, when anything like this occurs, the "rumungerers " always come out of the woodwork.

Having spoken to P&O today they confirmed that it is anticipated that ongoing repairs "should " sort the problem with the engine room distribution panel and the ship will be available for  next Tuesdays cruise.

What does the song say, " accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative "

Clive

I know you are right Clive, but we did have a little panic... 

We have never been away at New Year before and really looking forward to it. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

What are you talking about!  Stovies must be made with left over roast beef.  Next you will be telling me you wear undergarments on formal nights.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Sue, I really do feel for you and your disappointed children. If you can't find something else suitable for you all at this late date then I hope you can have a fun staycation at home anyway. 

Thank you. We couldn't get booked in anywhere due to need for accessibility. We have however booked some Christmassy things to do from home, so hopefully we can replace their disappointment with some happy thoughts. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

What are you talking about!  Stovies must be made with left over roast beef.  Next you will be telling me you wear undergarments on formal nights.

Yes I make mine with leftover roast beef as well.  I suppose we all use a different recipe but the same basic concept. 

I am judiciously avoiding the undergarment debate 😀.

Anyway as Andy et al will be on the fully repaired Ventura for the bells I doubt Stovies will be on offer to them.

2 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Yeah, I'll buy into that one too (although as a vegetarian my stovies are made with (shock horror) quorn sausages!)   I most certainly do wear undergarments on formal nights ... I'll have you know I'm a laydee ....!

Edited by showingdiva
  • Haha 1

Good news so far as Hampshire Steve has said  we are just making our way out of the harbour to discharge  the grey.water  which was beginning to be another concern. I think we are all relieved there appears to be some progress. Unless you are here it's quite difficult to imagine the immense knock on situations that have impacted on this engine failure. A lot of the laundry has had to be done on the island due to the water situation.  Of course some things maybe could of been done better but speaking from personal experience all the senior officers I have spoken to have been reassuring kind and above else helpful.  As regards other people who I understand are extremely disappointed to have had there cruise cancelled at short notice I think this really is a highly unlikely situation that has happened and is still ongoing even on Wednesday so there's no way Ventura would have even got back for Friday.  Even though we are having a nice time you can't underestimate how we are happy to see this ship moving. 

• Like 5

Interesting to read that the incident was originally reported as a steam leak but later this changed into an electrical distribution problem. Maybe the main distribution switching panel blew which is why it is taking some time to fix, perhaps a partial rebuild is needed. A similar incident happened to Marella Discovery on the way to the far east a couple of years ago. They were approaching the gulf and were left with the choice of powering one engine or the aircon/hotel but not both. After limping into port the new parts etc had to be flown out and the switching panel rebuilt. It took several days to fix. Apparently the distribution panel had been recently serviced! no idea who eventually got the blame but cruises were delayed/cancelled and lots of compensation paid.

11 minutes ago, DAN 60 said:

I was under the impression that zero emissions was the policy these days, from cruise ships.

lm no eco worrier but l was surprised. That the Ventura was discharge in grey water out to sea.

Grey water is discharged all the time by ships.  After all, what else can be done with it? 

And the term "grey" sounds worse than it is. The actual water discharged is probably purer than some of the sea water that we chose to swim in!

Edited by wowzz

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Interesting to read that the incident was originally reported as a steam leak but later this changed into an electrical distribution problem. Maybe the main distribution switching panel blew which is why it is taking some time to fix, perhaps a partial rebuild is needed. A similar incident happened to Marella Discovery on the way to the far east a couple of years ago. They were approaching the gulf and were left with the choice of powering one engine or the aircon/hotel but not both. After limping into port the new parts etc had to be flown out and the switching panel rebuilt. It took several days to fix. Apparently the distribution panel had been recently serviced! no idea who eventually got the blame but cruises were delayed/cancelled and lots of compensation paid.

Just over a year ago on the Suez trip(Nov  2018), Broke down in May/June earlier in the year then broke down of the coast of Yeman/Oman  limped back into Muscat(had an extra night on the ship) limited aircon so it got VERY hot inside the ship.

There was quite a knock on effect on the following 3 cruises, might have been 4.

Edited by insidecabin