alcohol costs

viperrtblck

debating purchasing the drink package for our upcoming cruise on magic, 2/1 for an 8-day.  I like to drink makers mark manhattans, anyone know the cost of these WITHOUT purchasing the package?  weighing my options of paying for each drink or buying the package.  when I drink, I like to drink!!! but I won't drink everyday either.  plus the fact this cruise has 4 stops makes me think it's more of an advantage to buy drinks while on the islands if so choose to, and save the cost of buying on board.  wanted to check here to see if I could get any help.

thanks

Here's a rough math breakdown, based on fuzzy knowledge of Cheers 😉:

• ~$52/day, per cabin passenger over 21(all must purchase)
  • assuming you are traveling with someone over 21 your cost would be at least $832 for the cruise
  • I don't know if your preference is available at all bars, so will go with Alchemy price of ~$13 ($11+18%)
  • If you are the only one drinking and only drink the manhattans, you would need 64 over the course of the cruise, or 8 per day (with the other person not drinking anything).
  • assuming travel companion drinks their half, would you drink 8 on your 4 sea days to balance out not drinking on port days?
  • if you think you will be close, get Cheers
  • if you think you won't come close, put $800 down on your account (cash is probably simplest) and have your own prepaid "package" that is refundable if you don't drink that much

Hope that helps 🙂 

• Like 1

But remember, Cheers includes soda and bottled water for the days you don't plan on drinking, so you have to factor that in as well.  Also the specialty coffee for every morning.  Also the Shake Spot that sells milkshakes is included with Cheers (you can even get a shot of vodka or rum in the milkshake with Cheers).

thanks; might need some clearification now.  I see the package costs 52/day each person, totaling 416 for 8 days.  add 18% and it's at 490/person...right?

if that's correct so far, 490/$13 each drink = 37 drinks.  37 drinks/ 8 days = about 4.5 each day.

are my numbers correct for the pricing and all that?  also if the package isn't purchased, is bottled water still included in standard cruise fare of do I have to pay for it?  if I just order a water without the drink package, what do I get for free, just tap water?

3 hours ago, viperrtblck said:

debating purchasing the drink package for our upcoming cruise on magic, 2/1 for an 8-day.  I like to drink makers mark manhattans, anyone know the cost of these WITHOUT purchasing the package?  weighing my options of paying for each drink or buying the package.  when I drink, I like to drink!!! but I won't drink everyday either.  plus the fact this cruise has 4 stops makes me think it's more of an advantage to buy drinks while on the islands if so choose to, and save the cost of buying on board.  wanted to check here to see if I could get any help.

thanks

The average price for a drink is $11.00 so it is easy for you to figure out depending on your drinking habits.

2 hours ago, viperrtblck said:

thanks; might need some clearification now.  I see the package costs 52/day each person, totaling 416 for 8 days.  add 18% and it's at 490/person...right?

if that's correct so far, 490/$13 each drink = 37 drinks.  37 drinks/ 8 days = about 4.5 each day.

are my numbers correct for the pricing and all that?  also if the package isn't purchased, is bottled water still included in standard cruise fare of do I have to pay for it?  if I just order a water without the drink package, what do I get for free, just tap water?

On most lines bottled water is not included outside of the drink package, including Carnival.  I don't think bottled water is included under the soft drink package either.  Included beverages in your cruise fare are tap water, iced tea, lemonade, basic coffee, hot water & Lipton tea bags (regular & decaf), hot chocolate, and at breakfast there is milk and juices from concentrate.  Milk can be requested at other times for children, and probably also adults.

Most single serve drinks under $20 (and not served in souvenir glasses) are included with Cheers.  Fresh squeezed juices aren't included and with the switch to Pepsi there are also Naked drinks (and possibly a few others) that are not included.

Bottled water can be purchased fairly inexpensively ($5 for twelve 16.9 oz bottles) through the fun shop.  We use these for shore excursions and drink tap water on the ship, sometimes adding our own flavor packets.

2 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

On most lines bottled water is not included outside of the drink package, including Carnival.  I don't think bottled water is included under the soft drink package either.  Included beverages in your cruise fare are tap water, iced tea, lemonade, basic coffee, hot water & Lipton tea bags (regular & decaf), hot chocolate, and at breakfast there is milk and juices from concentrate.  Milk can be requested at other times for children, and probably also adults.

Most single serve drinks under $20 (and not served in souvenir glasses) are included with Cheers.  Fresh squeezed juices aren't included and with the switch to Pepsi there are also Naked drinks (and possibly a few others) that are not included.

Bottled water can be purchased fairly inexpensively ($5 for twelve 16.9 oz bottles) through the fun shop.  We use these for shore excursions and drink tap water on the ship, sometimes adding our own flavor packets.

Not trying to take the thread down a rabbit hole, but I think with cheers you get a large bottle of water a day, might be even more than that, but not an expert.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not trying to take the thread down a rabbit hole, but I think with cheers you get a large bottle of water a day, might be even more than that, but not an expert.

Yep, "large format" bottled waters are free at dinner, including "to go" ones that aren't opened at the table. Our first night, our (awesome) server dropped off two without being asked, so we had a stock for the stateroom. 

• Thanks 1

There's always the option of purchasing a bottle of liquor for your cabin from the Fun Shops before you cruise.  True, it's costlier than buying it at home, but it ends up costing much less than either the Cheers package or buying drinks individually, especially if at least one person in the room isn't a heavy drinker.  (You also could attempt to smuggle liquor aboard, but I wouldn't know about that  😉  )

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, viperrtblck said:

Your math is correct except that everyone over 21 in your room needs to purchase the drink package as well. Tap water (which tastes perfectly fine) is available 24 /7 and is free to everyone.  Bottled water must be purchased unless you have the drink package, then bottled water is available unlimited for free. 

6 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

The average price for a drink is $11.00 so it is easy for you to figure out depending on your drinking habits.

Manhattan on the Horizon was $7.95 plus 18”% 

You can order water from the fun shops at 12 bottles. For 4.99 plus 18%.  Delivered to your cabin 

cheapest way to buy water on any cruise line

9 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

Manhattan on the Horizon was $7.95 plus 18”% 

You can order water from the fun shops at 12 bottles. For 4.99 plus 18%.  Delivered to your cabin 

cheapest way to buy water on any cruise line

Drinks are TYPICALLY $9 to $12 plus the 18% My wife had wine and it was $9.50 + the 18% $7.95 is at the low end for sure. I would never buy water. A waste of money.

but also consider if you are port heavy. we have a trip coming up and we are in port 4 days. so those days we may not get our "drinks" worth. we are doing the 2 bottle of wine per person and then getting drinks if we want. I carry a swell/ bubba bottle so my water stays cold.

36 minutes ago, stellarose said:

but also consider if you are port heavy. we have a trip coming up and we are in port 4 days. so those days we may not get our "drinks" worth. we are doing the 2 bottle of wine per person and then getting drinks if we want. I carry a swell/ bubba bottle so my water stays cold.

26 minutes ago, stellarose said:

one per adult in the room- hence 2 bottles. 

I think VentureMan was making sure nothing had changed, since you stated 2 bottles per person in your previous post.

I know on Royal, it’s 2 per cabin, and as a solo traveler, I can take 2.

Edited by crzndeb