Sooner vs Later

Ima Desert Diva

I guess this question could be answered by someone who has cruised with other cruise lines ~ but I am a Carnival Loyalist, so here goes.  I'm pretty sure I've received information about this before, but I'd like to hear a cruiser's experience on the subject.  "Do I book a cruise as early as possible, to get the best prices and best selections of decks and cabins?"  Or, "Can I wait till perhaps a couple of weeks before a cruise is to set sail to book?"  I'm wondering if cost would more for me to do it that way, or less?  Could I get a really nice cabin that had a last minute cancellation?  Or would I be at the mercy and discretion of the company to squeeze me in somewhere of their choosing.  Like next to the laundry and under the pool deck?  

Personally I would book as soon as you know for absolutely for sure when/where/what ship. If it's iffy at all, wait until it's solid plan so you don't have to pay a change fee. Otherwise, book under a rate that you get best price guarantee/OBC if price drops. 

• Like 2

Get the best selection of cabins and get the price protection with Early Saver rates.  FWIW, I think it's the best of both worlds.  There are some restriction with ES, but it has seemed to work the best for me.  Any price drops that I have gotten have been short term.  In general, the price of my cruises has only gone up after booking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ima Desert Diva said:

I guess this question could be answered by someone who has cruised with other cruise lines ~ but I am a Carnival Loyalist, so here goes.  I'm pretty sure I've received information about this before, but I'd like to hear a cruiser's experience on the subject.  "Do I book a cruise as early as possible, to get the best prices and best selections of decks and cabins?"  Or, "Can I wait till perhaps a couple of weeks before a cruise is to set sail to book?"  I'm wondering if cost would more for me to do it that way, or less?  Could I get a really nice cabin that had a last minute cancellation?  Or would I be at the mercy and discretion of the company to squeeze me in somewhere of their choosing.  Like next to the laundry and under the pool deck?  

We cruise a minimum of 4 times a year. I usually book as soon as we can to get the best possible price. 2 years in advance at the furthest. Sometimes the price drops and our TA will get the best price if it drops of if more perks are added. Your lowest price will be just before the ship sails if you do not care where your cabin is. Usually does not includes perks or OBC then. But it can. Check and see what is available right now for a sailing in two weeks or less and see how that price looks.

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Book early and watch if prices go down.  If they do, call Carnival and ask for a price adjustment.  I'm down $800 with two Category upgrades, so far.

Careful that you do not book a fare that connote be adjusted -- I thought I heard Early Saver bookings cannot be adjusted.

Actually Early Saver can be price adjusted up to 2 days before sailing, unlike other fares. Any price drops after final payment are OBC.

Other fares can be adjusted up to final payment.

Edited by crzndeb

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Careful that you do not book a fare that connote be adjusted -- I thought I heard Early Saver bookings cannot be adjusted.

We've gotten many adjustments when booked as Early Saver. You just have to check often and contact your PVP, TA or Carnival directly.

Edited by tandemcruzr
Spelling

If you are booking at a popular time (Xmas, spring break), a specialty itinerary, or need a solo cabin that maybe limited in availability, book right away.  I booked the Magic for 12/26/20 9 months ago.  The price has gone up since I booked.  I took an Xmas cruise about 4 or 5 years ago and got upgraded from inside to balcony.  I booked a solo cabin on the Adventure of the Seas.  They only have 5 solo cabins.  I took a 9 day Japan rt out of Hong Kong.  It was sold out far in advance because they only offer the itinerary once a year.

There is ways a chance to get a nice cabin late, but those chances are really thin.  If you know when you are going to cruise and feel confident about it happening, then strongly consider early saver.  Is is a win win for you and Carnival.  Booking early is almost always a better deal than waiting, unless you really do not care about the cabin location....at all.  

18 hours ago, Ima Desert Diva said:

"Do I book a cruise as early as possible, to get the best prices and best selections of decks and cabins?"  Or, "Can I wait till perhaps a couple of weeks before a cruise is to set sail to book?"  

We booked about a year ago for the MAgic in January.  That sailing is now 300 more then I paid.    32 cruises and only two ever came down in price.    Booking a few weeks before the cruise gives me slim pickings for cabin choices.   For our Magic there is no more balconies left and still 7 weeks to go

There are additional variables, which is cabin choice and the popularity of the particular cruise in question.  If someone wants a special cabin type, as example aft wrap which sell out almost always before others, than that is a different scenario than I want a balcony cabin.  If as example they want an Ocean View and there are not many on that ship, same applies to a lesser degree.

Edited by jimbo5544

52 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From my experience the earlier you book, the lower the price. Most of our cruises on Carnival have been booked using ES. With one exception (Horizon in 2018), the price of every cruise has gone up, some significantly higher. 

I would agree with one exception of sailing.  When a brand new ship comes out and we jump on bookings for a balcony cabin, as time goes by the price for balconies come down.  That said to your point, early is almost always better. Last minute sailings for those who live near a home port offers significant sailing options if you can be very flexible.

I always book as early as possible. Even if you are 50/50 on the cruise, just book it. Book it even if you are 5/95! Just dont book early saver rate.

With 3 kids and exes to coordinate with, my original booking never seems to stay as my final booking. My next cruise is on its 3rd itinerary (I think everything is finally final), and others I have changed more times. If you book it and the price goes down you can adjust, if you book and the price goes up you are stuck. 

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would agree with one exception of sailing.  When a brand new ship comes out and we jump on bookings for a balcony cabin, as time goes by the price for balconies come down.  That said to your point, early is almost always better. Last minute sailings for those who live near a home port offers significant sailing options if you can be very flexible.

The one exception I mentioned (Horizon) we booked a spa balcony some time in early 2017 for around $3000. By the time October 2018 came around the price was down to around $2400. That is a perfect example of what you said about new ships and balconies. 

• Like 1

It's a bit ironic that booking the price in advance is always your best bet because you can fall back on if the price lowers. If that is your plan, make sure to monitor it because no one else will for you. It is still very possible you could end up overpaying.

But it is generally great advice. The last few cruises I've "watched" have gone up in price, and I could kick myself for not booking the one I really wanted. I went up in price about 40%. So we booked it for later in the year next year, which it has already gone up about 10%, and I don't see it dipping down.

It can also be beneficial to be flexible. If you are dead set on certain factors, pricing may not always be to your advantage. My biggest advice is stay away from peak times unless you absolutely must. I refuse to do a summer cruise.

27 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Why shouldn't you book an early saver rate ?

If you are 50/50 on whether or not you can make it work, your deposit is not 100% refundable with early saver. And if you decide to change your reservation its a $50 per person change fee. So for my next cruise I would have paid $200 in change fees, which would not have made up the difference in fare

I think it depends mostly. We saw one of Norwegian's newer ships go wayyyy down in price for balconies in great locations leaving tomorrow from NYC. We were trying not to kick ourselves for not just booking last minute when we could've gotten a GREAT price (less than what we paid for our Horizon balcony) for a balcony leaving from our actual city and avoided needing to spend extra on a hotel the night before and airfare. Sometimes it really does pay to wait but it's not often that something like that happens

I always book as early as I can.  I'm booked through 2022.  As mentioned: it ensures you get the cabin you want.  That's a big deal.  If some sort of spectacular sale comes up between your initial booking and the final payment due date, it's a simple matter to call in and get it re-priced (usually).  Same goes for occasional price drops on booze packages, internet access, spa treatments, etc.  If they drop, just cancel and re-book at the lower price.

One thing that doesn't get a lot of mention here is taking advantage of bonus offers cards like AMEX have.  This year there were 3 offers for cruises.  I made partial payments on 3 of the cruises I have booked and got $350 back.

The further you book out, the more opportunities you get to snag a price decrease or promo from a 3rd party.  I've got an Aug 2020 cruise (Princess, not Carnival) I just called in on because of a promo that popped up.  Saved over $900 with an under 10 minute phone call.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, Ima Desert Diva said:

To me, it depends.  I booked a cruise on the Vista over a year out because I wanted a Havana Cabana but I recently booked a four day with my daughter as a last minute inside guarantee. So for me, it depended on what I was looking for on my cruise. HTH.