Zuiderdam - Retreat?

noblepa

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam on Jan. 3 for 8 days. We are in a Signature Suite.

This will be our third sailing on the ship, but the most recent was five years ago.

I notice on the deck plans and in the photo gallery for the Z, something called "The Retreat" on the Sports deck. However, I can find no description of what, exactly it is. It appears to be a private deck, with cabana-like enclosures, overlooking the ocean and the aft part of the ship.

Is this area open to all passengers, or is it a perk for the highest level cabins? Does one just wander up there and take an empty seat, or are reservations required? Is there a cost?

I see no description of this in the cabin descripts, even for the Neptune suites. Nor do I see anything in the general description of the ship.

So, that's the deal?

We are on the same cruise the op has referenced and have booked a retreat cabana for the first time. Can’t take the sun like I used to and this will be, hopefully a nice comfortable space to spend time in. We to have a signature suite but enjoy being out and about the ship during the day. They also have light breakfast, lunch and bar service.

We are on the Zuiderdam now.  I have a cabana in the retreat and will try to get some photos today.  The wind was so strong that the lashed together central furniture was almost levitating.  I understand from the Promenade Deck walkers the wind is worse today so probably no pretty pictures of the cabanas.  

How much does a cabana cost? Can you book for a single day, or for the entire cruise?

From the pictures, there is a central area, apart from the cabanas, that has ordinary deck chairs. Is that area also reserved, or is it free and open to first-come-first-served?

Is it really much better than sitting on your balcony?

39 minutes ago, noblepa said:

From the pictures, there is a central area, apart from the cabanas, that has ordinary deck chairs. Is that area also reserved, or is it free and open to first-come-first-served?

The entire retreat area is reserved for those who have booked (and paid for) it. Those passengers have the choice of private/shade in their cabana, or open to the air, at any given time. 

1 hour ago, noblepa said:

How much does a cabana cost? Can you book for a single day, or for the entire cruise?

Here are 2017-2018 prices. Probably close to current if not exact.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HAL-Cabanas.pdf

You can book single days if there are any that haven't been rented for the full cruise.

Edited by catl331

27 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

After paying for a week, Mariner discount helps, it has had basically no use from us.  The wind is so bad today that the space in unusable.  

I am a 4 star Mariner, never got any discount on the 6 or 7 times we have had a cabana.

Unfortunately weather can be an issue. Has for 2 or 3 days, out of probably 50 days, we have had a cabana.

Just returned from 11 day on Koningsdam and had cabana in the Retreat..  perfect weather, perfect service, and quiet space to read and relax.  We are not like sitting in the sun.  There is an elevator up to the retreat.

This is our second time doing this and love it.  Call Ship Services they will help you and reserve it for you if interested.

We reserved a cabana for our cruise on the Zuiderdam this past February...we loved it.  The service was fantastic, drinks and lunch served, frozen grapes and other fruit, and very attentive young men making sure we were well taken care of.  If money isn't an issue, I 'd strongly recommend it for a nice, peaceful retreat.