Ocean Medallion & Port Safety

Justprettynpink

When I am in port I try my best to blend in and not advertise that I am on a cruise vacation. I take off any bling and do not take anything that has the name Princess on it. 

I am excited to experience my first medallion cruise in a couple of weeks. It occurred to me that I will be wearing my medallion on my wrist. Any suggestions or wise words as to what to do with the medallion so that I am not advertising that I am on a cruise?   

I thought about putting covering over the Princess logo......

Having just finished our first Medallion cruise, the medallion itself is a size of a quarter.  While we didn't use the wristwatch approach, we did use the lanyard and necklace and it does pop in/out of the holder without any problem.  

So what we did was just stick it in our pocket.  Besides, we didn't want to take the chance of losing it or someone stealing it.

• Like 1

I went to guest services and got a regular cruise card to use. I bought a 10 pack of RFID sleeves on ebay for a whole dollar! I carried my cruise card in that RFID card. I suggest you go to guest services and get a card and leave your medallion the the room safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

trust me, tourists stand out like a sore thumb. Especially, if the majority of the local population is of a different ethnicity.

Totally agree. depending on the port. Go by what the director told you about the port. Where to go and where not to go. We have never had any problems and I think the majority will say the same.

3 hours ago, Justprettynpink said:

When I am in port I try my best to blend in and not advertise that I am on a cruise vacation. I take off any bling and do not take anything that has the name Princess on it. 

I am excited to experience my first medallion cruise in a couple of weeks. It occurred to me that I will be wearing my medallion on my wrist. Any suggestions or wise words as to what to do with the medallion so that I am not advertising that I am on a cruise?   

I thought about putting covering over the Princess logo......

Not to be negative here. But personally,  the only way they will know you are not a tourist. Do not get off of the ship.

• Like 2

I am not trying to avoid looking like a tourist. Many times we are told to not wear bling...to me the medallion is bling. I am not afraid to visit places or get off the ship.

I just choose not to let people know I am on a cruise ship. I feel that there are some who think those who cruise have money and tend to be a target more than tourist who are visiting for a few days....

OP, several solutions have been proposed above.  I am in the "carry it in your pocket" group.  In fact, I even carry it in my pocket while on board the ship.

It sounds like you have cruised before.  Presumably, on those cruises you were issued a plastic card.  When you went ashore, I assume that you stowed the card in a pocket or a purse or a backpack or something else.  Just do the same with the medallion.  You can leave it in the wristband or you can detach it.

• Like 1