Manahttan Dining Room - Dress Code

steelersfan4ever

My son in law was turned away but was able to dine in either of the other two dining rooms on the Breakaway to Bermuda.  That was July 2018.  I'm sure someone else may have more up to date info but I would plan ahead just in case

20 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

What is so bad about wearing a pair of slacks and a button down shirt to an elegant dining venue?

It is a dining room on an affordable cruise line. No so elegant. The contemporary cruiser is on vacation and can’t be bothered with dressing up. And the contemporary cruise is the future of the cruise lines, so that is who they cater to. We grew up in gowns and tuxes. We are more than happy to leave that stuff at home. 

The Manhattan Room allows shorts and polos on most ships (excluding the Epic and sometimes the breakaway). 

Edited by BirdTravels

Common that 1 MDR and 1 or more Specialty Dining Restaurants (Le Bistro for one) the dress code is more upscale

requiring pants not exactly dress pants (no holey jeans) and a shirt with collar (polo) not "T" shirt.

Every where else on the ship most anything goes.

Where the cruise is going may make a difference - hot weather/climate Caribbean the dress code may be relaxed

but in general plan on meeting the requirements for dining in the more formal MDR and Le Bistro.

17 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Common that 1 MDR and 1 or more Specialty Dining Restaurants (Le Bistro for one) the dress code is more upscale

requiring pants not exactly dress pants (no holey jeans) and a shirt with collar (polo) not "T" shirt.

Every where else on the ship most anything goes.

Where the cruise is going may make a difference - hot weather/climate Caribbean the dress code may be relaxed

but in general plan on meeting the requirements for dining in the more formal MDR and Le Bistro.

And all three MDRs have the same menu each night so if you don't want to "dress up", you can just go to one of the other dining rooms without the dress code

1 hour ago, kpjb said:

Breakaway last week they were definitely enforcing pants and nice shirts in the Manhattan room and Cagney's.

Cagneys does not require long pants on any NCL ship.  The venues requiring long pants (which includes jeans, khakis, Dockers etc.,) are Le Bistro, Ocean Blue and the more formal MDR  (Manhattan room). Nice shirts means collared for men.  Depending on itinerary and ship, Manhattan room may not require that.  Personally I have seen no Bahamas Florida itinerary from  NY that the pants rule was in effect on.

• Like 1

Last month I was turned away from the Manhattan Room on the Breakaway for wearing shorts. They have definitely been enforcing it on that ship.

On 12/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, gizfish said:

Personally I have seen no Bahamas Florida itinerary from  NY that the pants rule was in effect on.

On the Gem in 2017 we were turned away from the Main Dining Room for wearing shorts. It was a Bahamas/Florida Itinerary. Maybe it has changed since then?

2 hours ago, Greek Boss said:

Last month I was turned away from the Manhattan Room on the Breakaway for wearing shorts. They have definitely been enforcing it on that ship.

On the Gem in 2017 we were turned away from the Main Dining Room for wearing shorts. It was a Bahamas/Florida Itinerary. Maybe it has changed since then?

It could very well be a seasonal decision - egads it is cold in NYC put some pants on ya hear !

But it is often noted here at CC about one of the MDRs is more formal upscale and there is a dress code as well

as at one or more of the Specialty Dining restaurants i.e. Le Bistro - Ocean Blue others ---

If your cruise is taking you to Bermuda - Bermuda shorts is an in thing - but it matters if you are dressed like a

beach bum or a polo jockey - go figure - - -

Tastefully dressed for NCL FreeStyle cruising !

And in these formal dining restaurants - LEAVE THE HEAD COVER (hats caps) in you cabin -

perhaps one of the reasons for being singled out for inappropriate dress.

The only time you will see the Captain wearing a hat will be poking you with a sharp stick walking the plank ! LOL !

• Haha 1