Different ports in Caribbean

md80fan

23 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Wish they would go back to Tortola and Grenada, we love both places.  They used to go to Tortola out of San Juan, but have not done that in a long time.

????  🤔

Next month I am on Vision visiting Tortola on 1/19/20.   Visiting Grenada on Vision  on 1/28/20.   Three legs out of San Juan.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

????  🤔

Next month I am on Vision visiting Tortola on 1/19/20.   Visiting Grenada on Vision  on 1/28/20.   Three legs out of San Juan.  

but 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

????  🤔

but the bigger ships do not go there.

17 hours ago, karena1 said:

but 

OK...when you said "they" I assumed all RCI ships.  Was no mention of large ships.  Small ships can go to small ports, much like Alaska...the more desired ports and glacier viewing can only accommodate the smaller ships.  

Edited by island lady

On 12/19/2019 at 2:05 PM, md80fan said:

Just curious if anybody has ideas on why Royal uses the same ports in the Caribbean. Does not matter if big ship or small ship. I understand that time and distance plays a part from Florida as well as if the port can handle various size ships. But I very rarely see Royal itineraries with stops in Turks and Caicos, British Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Merida / Progresso, and for the San Juan departures Grenada, Dominica, Trinidad and Tobago. Every once is awhile around a holiday or spring break I will see one of these ports listed. I enjoy St. Thomas and St. Maarten but doesn't it seem like every itinerary stops at those ports. It would be nice to have a little variety instead of San Juan / St. Maarten / St. Thomas when Dominican Republic or Turks and Caicos could be offered.

Because us customers keep paying them money to do so.  Until and unless enough people stop cruising with them because of this, they won't change.

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because us customers keep paying them money to do so.  Until and unless enough people stop cruising with them because of this, they won't change.

I don't have any problems with the ports that Vision will be going to next month.  One new one in the DR (Punta Cana), plus Grenada and Tortola.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, karena1 said:

but 

Not all ports have docks that can accommodate larger ships.  Also the tourist infrastructure may not be present to handle 6000 people descending on a island at the same time. 

25 minutes ago, gatour said:

Not all ports have docks that can accommodate larger ships.  Also the tourist infrastructure may not be present to handle 6000 people descending on a island at the same time. 

And add in a 2nd ship of Freedom/Voyagers size, all of a sudden the 10k+ makes it feel like every other island..  love Turks and Caicos happy to have gotten there on an MSC ship a few years back and yes I’m pretty sure Bob is right, if it’s a Carnvial Corp ship will go with some itineraries.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:25 PM, island lady said:

Contacts come into play also.  We miss when the RCI ships used to dock at Havensight in St. Thomas.  RCI signed a contract to go to Crown Bay instead, not impressed with that port area.  😞 

I have docked in Crown Bay in both Princess and Royal for so long I don’t remember what shops were at Havensight, except The English Shop. I don’t like Crown Bay, but I’m not going to switch from my two cruise lines. ☹️

2 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I have docked in Crown Bay in both Princess and Royal for so long I don’t remember what shops were at Havensight, except The English Shop. I don’t like Crown Bay, but I’m not going to switch from my two cruise lines. ☹️

Indeed...same as me.   Though dislike the change from Havensight to Crown Bay...we still make it work.  😉  Going to take the water taxi over to Honeymoon beach (hopefully) this time.  Last two times, medical and weather played into coming in later than expected, which gave us not enough time to go there.  Maybe 3rd time's the charm.  

I think the post earlier makes the most sense that the mass market cruise lines are aiming for tourists and not travelers. 

The mass market cruise lines like Royal know their passengers care more about drink packages and eating options rather than exploring new ports. The passengers will have a good time no matter what port they are in. The smaller cruise lines market more towards exploring off the beaten path and try less explored islands.

I really like Royal and especially the Oasis class ships and what they offer. I have also done Freedom out of San Juan to try those other islands like Barbados. I will have to look at vision of the seas and some of their itineraries.  I am not sure I would like a smaller ship as I really love Oasis class but I know there is only a handful of ports they can fit in. I know most reviews of Falmouth are not positive but will probably try a Oasis class that stops there just to see something new.

22 minutes ago, md80fan said:

I think the post earlier makes the most sense that the mass market cruise lines are aiming for tourists and not travelers. 

The mass market cruise lines like Royal know their passengers care more about drink packages and eating options rather than exploring new ports. The passengers will have a good time no matter what port they are in. The smaller cruise lines market more towards exploring off the beaten path and try less explored islands.

I really like Royal and especially the Oasis class ships and what they offer. I have also done Freedom out of San Juan to try those other islands like Barbados. I will have to look at vision of the seas and some of their itineraries.  I am not sure I would like a smaller ship as I really love Oasis class but I know there is only a handful of ports they can fit in. I know most reviews of Falmouth are not positive but will probably try a Oasis class that stops there just to see something new.

I mix it up doing some Oasis or Freedom class, with some smaller ships like Vision or Radiance class.  Variety is good.  😉 If I could only choose one class...that would be Radiance class.  Not too small...not too big.  You never know until you try them all.  

And no...I have no desire for drink packages or dining options.  I don't cruise for those.  So, here is one Loyal Royal that does not fit your classification.  

Edited by island lady