Reserving space in Horizons

Roccaforte

Last month we sailed on Insignia.  It was a great cruise except for one annoying problem.  At sail-away time we made our way to Horizons and headed for the empty tables at the front windows.  We were approached by a waiter who turned us away saying the area was reserved for a private party.  This meant  all of the seating with a view - the entire front was unavailable.  As Insignia is a small ship and it was raining, the rest of the passengers were crammed into seats along the side windows.  Most annoying however, was the fact that those seats remained empty for the next  few hours.  When we left for dinner they were still unoccupied.  I’m sure I was paying the same price (or more) than anyone else on board so I don’t appreciate being denied use of the public spaces. I was angry and embarrassed, as we had persuaded friends to join us on this cruise - telling them what exceptional treatment they would receive.  How does this happen???

52 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

Last month we sailed on Insignia.  It was a great cruise except for one annoying problem.  At sail-away time we made our way to Horizons and headed for the empty tables at the front windows.  We were approached by a waiter who turned us away saying the area was reserved for a private party.  This meant  all of the seating with a view - the entire front was unavailable.  As Insignia is a small ship and it was raining, the rest of the passengers were crammed into seats along the side windows.  Most annoying however, was the fact that those seats remained empty for the next  few hours.  When we left for dinner they were still unoccupied.  I’m sure I was paying the same price (or more) than anyone else on board so I don’t appreciate being denied use of the public spaces. I was angry and embarrassed, as we had persuaded friends to join us on this cruise - telling them what exceptional treatment they would receive.  How does this happen???

So did you report this to anyone on the ship? If not, why not? 

I would have complained to the GM  since no one turned up for the private party

They usually only block off half of the front  when I have seen private parties there  but usually the private party is closer to the bar /door area

31 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would have complained to the GM  since no one turned up for the private party

They usually only block off half of the front  when I have seen private parties there  but usually the private party is closer to the bar /door area

Ditto.

When space is booked & blocked it would be for a “social” event like CC meeting, etc.

Those meetings are about mingling with and meeting fellow passengers, not for sightseeing. Hence, there is no need to reserve all front row seats - I have never witnessed this.

You have a legit gripe - especially as nobody showed for the “next few hours”!

We were in a PH and therefore could make earlier specialty restaurant reservations than lower categories.  When I tried to make reservations, several dates were blocked out in one of the restaurants.  I thought at the time it must have been blocked for a group.  Since I was able to get the times and dates I wanted I wasn’t bothered.  We never saw any other problems for the rest of the cruise.  It’s clearly stated in Currents that saving seats in the theatre is prohibited but I guess that doesn’t apply to other areas.  We’ve all seen chogs😄

As to the OP. Did you happen to ask whom that Party was? Did anyone ever reapproach the wait staff after 30 minutes or so to attempt entry again? I could easily see, on embarkment day, the party being moved, canceled, or postponed and nobody told the staff in Horizons. Thus the need to recheck the status.

I have never seen the entire front section of Horizons reserved. IMO, the reserving party must have been very senior to have pulled it off. Then something happened without communications.