Madrid flight connection advise

rwdtgb

We are flying Miami to Madrid on flight 68 American airline we arrive Madrid at 6:30 am . We then have to gather our luggage and check in for our Iberia flight to Rome the flight departs at 8:40am. The flights are on separate tickets!!!!. We are in business class on both  flights and need wheelchair assistance, Will we have enough time or should I look into plan B just in case (later flight) ?  Thank you for your help.

No, you won't be gathering your luggage...it should be checked through to Rome, where you will clear Customs. Iberia is an alliance partner. This is one of the keys of knowing the difference between Immigration (Passport Check) and Customs.

You will have a passport check. 2:10 should be enough time. Being in a wheelchair will probably help speed through some aspects, as will being in Business.

I’ll strongly recommend to book a later flight - 2 hours will not be enough.

Also a word of warning - Iberia business seats in Europe is not much different than economy - same width as economy - pitch might be few inches more, however In Business Class, the middle seat is always left unoccupied.

Also consider to book at the same reservation - in case of delays You’ll be rebooked at a later flight which is not the case when two different reservations.

Also hope you are planning to arrive into Rome few days prior to your cruise.

Edited by hallasm

2 hours ago, AveSaloon said:

Ooopsss...I missed the separate tickets part. Sorry for the wrong answer above. Not sure why you booked separate tickets.

11 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I’ll strongly recommend to book a later flight - 2 hours will not be enough.

Also a word of warning - Iberia business seats in Europe is not much different than economy - same width as economy - pitch might be few inches more, however In Business Class, the middle seat is always left unoccupied.

Also consider to book at the same reservation - in case of delays You’ll be rebooked at a later flight which is not the case when two different reservations.

Also hope you are planning to arrive into Rome few days prior to your cruise.

This is true of virtually all domestic business class service within Europe.

To the OP:  You won't make it.

Leave plane.  Walk to immigration.  Process immigration.  Gather bags.  Got to Iberia desks outside security.  Iberia check-in.  Security screening.  Travel to gate.  Plus, Madrid is a big airport.

Iberia check in closes 45 minutes before departure, so you have less than 2 hours to de-plane, pass through immigration,  collect your luggage and make your way to check in for your new flight, and that assumes your first flight is on time. 

Wheel chair assistance may be of help in speeding you through immigration, but it may well be the case that you will have to wait for the the rest of the pax to disembark before your wheel chairs arrive, even if you are in business.

Personally , this would be too stressful for me - I'd book a later flight.

I booked on two separate tickets because I used BA avios points for the Madrid to Rome flight. Well if we miss the flight there is an 11:25 and a 16:00 flight so we will get to Rome sometime the same day. If we miss our flight we will have more time in the lounge can't stress about something that might or might not work out. That is why I have plan B and C just in case. 

We are going to spend 2 nights In Florence before the cruise...Never fly in the same day...

Thanks for all the advice.

17 hours ago, rwdtgb said:

if we miss the flight there is an 11:25 and a 16:00 flight so we will get to Rome sometime the same day.

That conclusion assumes there will be last-minute available seats on those later flights, something that is not guaranteed.  You could also be subject to a change fee if your reason for missing the flight was because of a delay with the first flight that was booked separately.  While that isn't likely if you are flying the same airline, and probably not likely if flying a different airline in the same alliance, but it is certainly possible.