Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

1 hour ago, MCOgirl said:

Hello fellow cruisers,I would like to ask this to the locals on this forum-  Do you really feel that an outdoor vacation on Celebrity cruises can truly be enjoyed with this level of smoke and  air pollution??

We have been to your beautiful country 5 years ago NZ as well .One of the biggest joys was the wonderful fresh air and pristine  country side.

Do we have much recourse with the travel insurance?

Thank you

Mcogirl

When is your planned cruise? Even if it is next week, I do not think you would have significant problems relating to the fires or smoke.

2 hours ago, MCOgirl said:

Hello fellow cruisers,I would like to ask this to the locals on this forum-  Do you really feel that an outdoor vacation on Celebrity cruises can truly be enjoyed with this level of smoke and  air pollution??

We have been to your beautiful country 5 years ago NZ as well .One of the biggest joys was the wonderful fresh air and pristine  country side.

Do we have much recourse with the travel insurance?

Thank you

Mcogirl

We’ve talked to the insurance unless our government gives a travel advisory against going, the insurance won’t pay... or the Airbnb is on fire. Plus the boat leaves Sydney and goes to New Zealand.

16 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

We’ve talked to the insurance unless our government gives a travel advisory against going, the insurance won’t pay... or the Airbnb is on fire. Plus the boat leaves Sydney and goes to New Zealand.

What date is your cruise?

The US government has issued a travel advisory against travelling to Australia. This has upset the Aust government because they do not think this travel advisory is warranted.

However, with cruising to NZ, unless you are cruising in the next day or so, you will not even be aware of the fires or even any traces of smoke. Conditions are better now than they were a week or so ago.

Edited by Aus Traveller

30 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

Thank you all for your replies.

WE depart Feb.7th out of Sydney ,and stop in Tasmania and then onto New Zealand.I have been reading that New Zealand's air quality is deteriorating as well.Reports of smoke  in Christchurch.

I just spoke with my travel agent.He said to call the insurance agent.He wasn't sure of the cancellation policy.That being said he mentioned  things may be different  if the US issued a travel advisory .

9 minutes ago, MCOgirl said:

WE depart Feb.7th out of Sydney ,and stop in Tasmania and then onto New Zealand.I have been reading that New Zealand's air quality is deteriorating as well.Reports of smoke  in Christchurch.

I just spoke with my travel agent.He said to call the insurance agent.He wasn't sure of the cancellation policy.That being said he mentioned  things may be different  if the US issued a travel advisory .

Here is a screen shot taken at 1245 GMT from IQAir. As you can see conditions are improving and no issue in NZ. The level in Sydney is moderate. Check back via the link for up to date data.

image.thumb.png.b7d66a43aa468bf7ba82285e72439ad1.png

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am sure that your cruise will be not adversely affected. You may have some bad conditions on the first sea day as you head down the coast to Tasmania, but would expect the worst will be past on the first night.

I agree with that assessment. However, your cruise is four weeks away. By that time there may be no smoke in the atmosphere at all.

49 minutes ago, MCOgirl said:

The travel advisory is a bit more circumspect than “ Australia is on fire”. You will be fine, probably worse effects of spending too much time in the smoking areas on deck.

Exercise increased caution:

• Tourists should exercise increased caution when considering travel to areas affected by bushfires until the danger of natural disaster has passed. 
  • Authorities may issue evacuation orders to certain areas as conditions warrant. Travelers should follow local evacuation orders. 
  • Smoke is causing poor air quality which can cause increased health problems for travelers with related health conditions. Check the air quality for your destinations and take precautions as needed. Consider postponing your travel plans to areas where air quality is significantly affected by bushfire conditions.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/australia-travel-advisory.html

50 minutes ago, MCOgirl said:

I’m on your cruise. I still want to go but I called my agent just in case, I don’t think the insurance will work. The Canadian advisory is not strong enough. It doesn’t say not to travel just to be aware. 

BTW I’ve been been checking the air quality and webcams every day. New Zealand and Tasmania have good air quality most days, not to worry. I’m more concerned at the end I’ve my trip I’m spending the last two weeks back in Australia. 
as you see the air quality is excellent ( green and yellow are fine ) even in Christchurch.

The site is http://aqicn.org/city/new-zealand/canterbury/st-albans/

4AB0BA5F-C383-43D2-A65B-1CCF3E54ABD6.png

7 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

I’m on your cruise. I still want to go but I called my agent just in case, I don’t think the insurance will work. The Canadian advisory is not strong enough. It doesn’t say not to travel just to be aware. 

BTW I’ve been been checking the air quality and webcams every day. New Zealand and Tasmania have good air quality most days, not to worry. I’m more concerned at the end I’ve my trip I’m spending the last two weeks back in Australia. 
as you see the air quality is excellent ( green and yellow are fine ) even in Christchurch.

You are looking six weeks ahead before you will be touring in Australia. By then, the fires will be a sad memory. Depending on where you are planning to travel, you might not even see evidence of the fires.

Where are you planning to go? Will you be driving or on conducted tours?

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You are looking six weeks ahead before you will be touring in Australia. By then, the fires will be a sad memory. Depending on where you are planning to travel, you might not even see evidence of the fires.

Where are you planning to go? Will you be driving or on conducted tours?

They say the fires will be going on into April. I’m trying to be optimistic as the weather ap shows a good amount of rain in Sydney on the 16-18 of January. 
We’re touring ourself the north island for 6 days... with a car when we leave Auckland . Then flying from Auckland to Queenstown ( 4-5 days with a car around Queenstown ) Then around Feb 28 we fly from Queenstown to Melborne, the next day we’re two days on the Great Ocean Drive, two days in the Grampions back to Melborne, flying to Cairns ( hoping for no typhoons ) spending 4 days and back to Sydney staying near Bondi beach.

I have bought a n95 mask just in case.

Edited by Shayna1900

2 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

They say the fires will be going on into April. I’m trying to be optimistic as the weather ap shows a good amount of rain in Sydney on the 16-18 of January. 
We’re touring ourself the north island for 6 days... with a car when we leave Auckland . Then flying from Auckland to Queenstown ( 4-5 days with a car around Queenstown ) Then around Feb 28 we fly from Queenstown to Melborne, the next day we’re two days on the Great Ocean Drive, two days in the Grampions back to Melborne, flying to Cairns ( hoping for no cyclones ) spending 4 days and back to Sydney staying near Bondi beach.

We are going to be in Sydney for 2 days prior to our 10 day cruise.Then spending 3 days in Auckland.We went on a road trip 5 years ago around the south island of NZ and it was amazing.You will enjoy the drive.Queenstown area is just spectacular .Gorgeous topography for sure.

I was looking at theN95 masks earlier today on Amazon...oh my!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

We’re touring ourself the north island for 6 days... with a car when we leave Auckland . Then flying from Auckland to Queenstown ( 4-5 days with a car around Queenstown ) Then around Feb 28 we fly from Queenstown to Melborne, the next day we’re two days on the Great Ocean Drive, two days in the Grampions back to Melborne, flying to Cairns ( hoping for no typhoons ) spending 4 days and back to Sydney staying near Bondi beach.

Unless there are new fires, all those areas should be fine, even the air quality .

The Grampians are usually dry at this time of the year. The fires to the SW are well under control and quite a fair way from the Grampians.  My parents llve closer to the fires than the Grampians are and have not had  any smoke, except one day they could smell it for an hour or so. This is summer in Australia, there is always the chance of bush or grassfires. It happens every year, it is not unusual. This year the fires are more severe and started earlier and as a result getting more coverage overseas. Rain fell in the Grampians area yesterday. 

Come and enjoy your holiday. But watch for fire warnings.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, Shayna1900 said:

There were fires in the Grampians National Park around Christmas Day, so there will be some burnt areas.

the smoke of the ship on the top deck near the exhaust stacks are way more deadly than the bushfire smoke here so you should be fine ..  

on another note it rained briefly this morning here where I am but gee it was dirty brown rain the car looked like it was rusted out was thick as well 

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

There were fires in the Grampians National Park around Christmas Day, so there will be some burnt areas.

These fires posed no threat to local communities and were in remote parts of the park. 

Leigh