Dawn Tips and Tricks

UnaPalomita

Sailing in March. First time on this ship, 4th? 5th? time on a Norwegian ship. We've done Gem, Jewel and Breakaway in the past. Any places you would recommend to watch sail away from? We're getting  a cheapie inside room, so no view from the room. 

How was the kids club? And the little slide in the kids area? Really bummed out they took out the slide in the main pool area. My son would use it all day on the Gem. 

How were the shows? We've seen a cirque du soleil type show on the 14 day sailings. 

Anything you want to share would be great. Going to Honduras, Belize, Mexico (Costa Maya and Cozumel). 

Pretty sure Dawn never had a slide in the main pool area. We Went on it for he first time in 2009 and there was no slide. That said, my 4 year old son and his 8 and 11 year old cousins had a fabulous time playing in the kids pool area and on the little slides there. 

There are some general info, tips, tricks, etc. from our Dawn's New England/Canada cruise this Spring (3rd. time on her) with pictures ... itinerary is different, of course.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2662250-semi-live-dawn-canada-new-england-5112019-our-old-favorite/page/7/

The former iCafe is now a quiet lounge on Deck 8, above O'Sheehan's (Locals) overlooking the atrium lobby, good place to read, listen to live music/band performing below & never crowded.  

The buffet is over-sized compared to the Gem, Jewel & Star as both sides are used - instead of a portion set aside as La Cucina and all the cafe space indoors, with more places to sit & eat when weather isn't good.   

All of the main shows in the Stardust Theater were great, just arrive 15 to 30 minutes early for best seating, no reservations needed or taken ... reserved box sections upstairs for Haven & suite guests. 

Shadowmeboy, another CC'er, has videos on the Dawn - as I recall, they sailed after us. 

Edited by mking8288

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Don't forget the Los Lobos Mexican restaurant deck 12 port side aft.

The DAWN is one of the few ships in the NCL fleet with this restaurant.

Oh my...... the table side guacamole is ridiculously good 

15 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Oh my...... the table side guacamole is ridiculously good 

Yeah....we thought our meal there was on par with any Mexican restaurant we go to at home....just more expensive.  But the guac....we might go back on our cruise next month just for the guac and chips alone.....with no meal!

Edited by Buckeye10640

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Are you able to advise if the Dawn does the crepe making on the buffet at night ?
Also does the buffet have soft serve ice cream machine?
These two are usually a massive highlight of our other NCL cruises so really hoping the Dawn aslo offers them! Bestest night dessert!😁😁

57 minutes ago, Lisa86 said:

Hello!

Are you able to advise if the Dawn does the crepe making on the buffet at night ?
These two are usually a massive highlight of our other NCL cruises so really hoping the Dawn aslo offers them! Bestest night dessert!😁😁

YES indeed the DAWN has a soft serve ice MILK machine !

Located starboard side of the buffet way aft near the exit to

the deck 12 elevator foyer. This is the side with desserts and

after dinner treats - rarely any cookies though.

Vanilla Chocolate and a blend of the two.

Limited hours - noon (lunch) to about 11 pm after dinner show

In the past had frequent maintenance problems

last cruise trip no problem

For REAL ice cream just ask for it in any restaurant or near

the pool Topsiders Bar and Grill can scoop it for you.

All this dessert activity occurs on deck 12 -

head all the way aft to the Fitness Center to burn the calories off

LOL !

21 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

YES indeed the DAWN has a soft serve ice MILK machine !

Located starboard side of the buffet way aft near the exit to

the deck 12 elevator foyer. This is the side with desserts and

after dinner treats - rarely any cookies though.

Vanilla Chocolate and a blend of the two.

Limited hours - noon (lunch) to about 11 pm after dinner show

In the past had frequent maintenance problems

last cruise trip no problem

For REAL ice cream just ask for it in any restaurant or near

the pool Topsiders Bar and Grill can scoop it for you.

All this dessert activity occurs on deck 12 -

head all the way aft to the Fitness Center to burn the calories off

LOL !

That's great! Thanks so much!

recent reviews do not seem too positive but I am open minded and looking forward to a great trip! :-)

2 hours ago, Lisa86 said:

That's great! Thanks so much!

recent reviews do not seem too positive but I am open minded and looking forward to a great trip! :-)

The DAWN is not the floating amusement park you were looking for - - -

She is a mighty fine ship in her time and still is - none of the problems her sister is going through (STAR).

About the crepes - there are fancy desserts but I don't recall crepes.

In any event sweet stuff means 3.5 laps around the Promenade deck (7) or 16 laps on the jogging track deck 13

to burn a mile worth of calories !

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The DAWN is not the floating amusement park you were looking for - - -

She is a mighty fine ship in her time and still is - none of the problems her sister is going through (STAR).

About the crepes - there are fancy desserts but I don't recall crepes.

In any event sweet stuff means 3.5 laps around the Promenade deck (7) or 16 laps on the jogging track deck 13

to burn a mile worth of calories !

We were on the Dawn last year and are on her again in March.  For sure...floating amusement park she is not....but quite a nice medium size ship with a nice pool area and decent entertainment.   We avoid the mega-ships with water parks and rides and such.  There was definitely ice cream, I dont recall seeing crepes. 

1 hour ago, Coolhand52 said:

They still serve crepes most nights. I have about 5 additional pounds to show for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will look for them in a few weeks. We found ourselves at O'Sheehans several nights last cruise and not at the buffet. I will try to hold it down to 1 or 2 lbs....lol...

5 hours ago, Lisa86 said:

Haha thanks all.....i'll be there most nights then! And i'll make sure to whizz around the deck to make up for it! 

|Now just fingers crossed for nice weather😁

If the weather is a problem there are always the STAIRS (going up - not the elevator that's cheating) !

And remember the pounds loading station is the starboard side of the Garden Café buffet and just a few more

struggling steps further aft is the unloading station the exercise machines weight lifting aerobic classes !

LOL ! - promises resolutions made broke altered so on and so forth - I do it  Mañana !