Port Day Dining

howiefrommd

16 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

I cannot remember, tried searching and could not find answer.  On port days is the main dining room open for lunch?  Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays.  

Sometimes yes

Sometimes no

Depends on a number of factors, including which port, time of year 

The Buffet will be open until 3pm for lunch, and Waves (the pool restaurant) is open until 4 (when High Tea starts)

So, you won't starve

It used to always be open, port days or not.  But starting a year or two ago, they started closing it on port days.  We understood when we were in Haifa for an overnight stay and there were only about 80 passengers remaining on Marina.  We didn't understand when it would be so crowded in Terrace (because only Terrace and Waves were open for lunch) that it was so crowded you could barely walk down the aisles to get your food.  Many morning tours return to the ship in time for lunch which CAN lead to big crowds even if a majority of the passengers were off the ship in the morning.

16 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I only eat lunch in the Terrace if I am short on time. I hate buffets. I prefer the GDR.  If not open, I would choose Waves Grill. They deliver your food to your table. 

IMO, calling the Terrace a "buffet" is a disservice. Even "cafeteria" would be stretching it.

In fact, when the exec chef opens shop on the fantail, some would say it's the best restaurant onboard.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, calling the Terrace a "buffet" is a disservice. Even "cafeteria" would be stretching it.

In fact, when the exec chef opens shop on the fantail, some would say it's the best restaurant onboard.

And even when he does not....it still is way more than any "buffet".      It is a foodies dream of  creativity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

And even when he does not....it still is way more than any "buffet".      It is a foodies dream of  creativity.

Someday our paths will cross on an Oceania ship. Let's do dinner (and invite pinotlover too). I foresee some very interesting conversation.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Due to a couple of misfires in the GDR, we either ate at a specialty or the Terrace every dinner. All breakfasts. It was all super. And I love fine food and don't 'do' buffets. (We live in Reno!)

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Someday our paths will cross on an Oceania ship. Let's do dinner (and invite pinotlover too). I foresee some very interesting conversation.

Sounds like a plan     AMS to BCN  in 2020 Sept.....Marina   come on aboard.........

Have a private wine tour for 4.... Pomerol/St Ermilion     ( Ch Canon  CH l'Evangile among others  Petrus?  Cherval Blanc)/

Ya never know     Right now  I am running out of time ....

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Due to a couple of misfires in the GDR, we either ate at a specialty or the Terrace every dinner. All breakfasts. It was all super. And I love fine food and don't 'do' buffets. (We live in Reno!)

About 40 years ago, the best/cheapest meal in the world was the Friday night seafood buffet at Caesar's Lake Tahoe on the South Shore. Not only was the food plentiful and "gourmet" to an unknowing "youngster," it could also feed us ski bums for several days thanks to the large purses (lined with plastic bags) of our female compatriots. 

We are are big fans of the Terrace and, other than our specialty nights, we usually only dine in the GDR for favorite entrees or because we were invited by officer(s) or want to share an easily arranged dinner with some "new/old bud" acquaintances.

The choices can be daunting on a 7-10 day cruise. But, on 18+ days, it all works out just fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Sounds like a plan     AMS to BCN  in 2020 Sept.....Marina   come on aboard.........

Have a private wine tour for 4.... Pomerol/St Ermilion     ( Ch Canon  CH l'Evangile among others  Petrus?  Cherval Blanc)/

Ya never know     Right now  I am running out of time ....

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

About 40 years ago, the best/cheapest meal in the world was the Friday night seafood buffet at Caesar's Lake Tahoe on the South Shore.

We sold our place at North Shore last year but rarely went to South Shore. Reno is now booming and getting younger all the time so dining is really improving.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

We sold our place at North Shore last year but rarely went to South Shore. Reno is now booming and getting younger all the time so dining is really improving.

If you ever get over to Truckee, stop by the Squeeze Inn for breakfast. Check out the "Donny's" omelet. That would be me!

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you ever get over to Truckee, stop by the Squeeze Inn for breakfast. Check out the "Donny's" omelet. That would be me!

It's crazy that we've never eaten there. They're in Reno now also. We make it to Truckee probably a couple of times a month for our fave Margarita/Mexican place, Casa Baeza. The picture below has a background of scores of tequilas 🙂 The owner has another cabinet that stays locked and I understand his home is something else 🙂

15774925_1176313912445099_7567303704836399313_o (4).jpg

40 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Clo:. Respect other opinions. I hate buffets.  It has nothing to do with the food served. Oceania has good food in all of their venues. I do not like carrying the plate. 

Actually I dang near have to fight 'em off to keep hold of my plate 🙂 And, as I mentioned, we had a couple of snafus with the GDR so actually never ate there. So I guess you don't want the kind of things the Terrace offers every night? That's cool.