Tipping with my time dining

jarvb

7 hours ago, glentally said:

This topic brings up the unknown of how cruise lines divide the tips.  So if I do early or late does that tip I prepaid for get divided between just my staff?  Thrown into a big pool and EVERYONE gets some? 

I know I am going to rock the boat but I don't believe the cruise company doesn't skim some off for administrative fees etc.  No one here can prove me right or wrong, its all speculation including my own comments.

It's funny because so many people complain about low crew wages and attack anyone who dare say anything negative about tipping. Yet when you ask the question of whether or not all of the tips are actually distributed to the crew, the same people attack you and say, "The crew are obviously happy, who cares!!" I don't think they see the contradiction there.

I happened across a video recently. I don't know if I can name the website here because it's another cruise related site, but I've heard of it before, so I think it's quite popular. Anyway, the video was about some of the changes on Carnival in 2019. They mentioned the service gratuities increase from 15% to 18%. They said that, according to Carnival, out of this 3% increase, 1.5% will go to the server and the other 1.5% will go into an employee pool which will help the itinerary stipend pay, uniforms, return-home airline tickets, etc. So evidently, a portion of gratuities don't necessarily go directly into crew pockets, but are still used to help them financially.

Edited by Organized Chaos

35 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I've seen multiple people say they tip up front. Not just the wait staff, but stewards too. This is something I'll never do. We shouldn't have to "bribe" them up front with an extra tip just to get good service. Good service should come regardless of the tip. A tip is extra money given for a service provided, not to get them to provide the service.

I completely agree with this.  We always prepay our gratuities, I just consider it part of the cruise fare, and would never consider not paying them or removing them.  What we do is tip extra on a case by case basis for any service we consider was above and beyond what we considered to be regular service.  

With regards to YTD, we have chosen this for every cruise and rarely have ended up with the same wait staff more than once on any given cruise, so if you have feel you have gotten tip worthy service, you might want to catch them while you have them.  

If you feel you have gotten incredible service from the wait staff an alternative option, or in addition, to tipping, is to write up a note commending them for their service and present it to guest services.  Personal praise is something that Carnival apparently thinks very highly of and gives some sort of 'bonus points' to employees that do receive praise from the customers.  You can also ensure that you get their names and specifically refer to them in the review form you get post-cruise.  

• Like 1

All the energy folks put out with regards to TIPing / not TIPing / how TIPs are distributed is exhausting to read.  Honestly, when I'm on vacation... the crew exists for the benefit of the cruse passengers... the passengers do not exist for the benefit of the crew.  All I want to think about while cruising is my vacation -- which is why I enjoy the pre-paid gratuities and the CHEERS package.  

I'll TIP a bartender extra at times since I will be using CHEERS -- I've already provided the math as to why.

3 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Actually the financial auditors can prove you wrong.  Money set aside for employees via tips, etc cannot be used by the company for bottom line profit.  It's an easy test to perform to ensure it's all used for EE purposes.  Not one auditor used by any cruise line would sign off on financial statements where they were profiting from money set aside for the crew.

They are based out of a foreign country for a reason.  That is to avoid EE as you state and other fair, normal practices. 

9 hours ago, glentally said:

I don't believe the cruise company doesn't skim some off for administrative fees etc.  No one here can prove me right or wrong, its all speculation including my own comments.

So if the company is skimming from their employees, why hasn't ONE SINGLE WHISTLEBLOWER ratted them out on out?  All it would take is one.

Or maybe your giant conspiracy theory includes buying the silence of disgruntled former employees?  After all you just said yourself that there's no evidence they're happy with the arrangement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Wait.....if you are making the accusation it is up to you to supply the proof.  You can't ask others to prove a negative while you pretend your ramblings are fact.

Its called a message board dear Ray.  An opportunity to share ideas and topics, proven or not.

38 minutes ago, glentally said:

They are based out of a foreign country for a reason.  That is to avoid EE as you state and other fair, normal practices. 

The ships are flagged in a foreign country to get around wage and hour laws in the US (with the exception of the NCL Pride of America), not the financial reporting requirements.  The US has a set of rules named GAAP and internationally they are known as IFR.  They cannot get around these rules.

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I've seen multiple people say they tip up front. Not just the wait staff, but stewards too. This is something I'll never do. We shouldn't have to "bribe" them up front with an extra tip just to get good service. Good service should come regardless of the tip. A tip is extra money given for a service provided, not to get them to provide the service.

I disagree somewhat, we always tip the Steward up front because we have requests. We never tip the wait staff until after unless, we have a special request. Not a "bribe" more of a preemptive "thank you".  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

You see....pretipping always works for us....YMMV.    

As has been said many times, even if you have YTD, all you have to do is request the same wait team and they gladly accommodate that. You don't have to slip them money to get it.

Besides, I never said getting different wait teams was a bad thing. In fact, I like it. I like to experience different ones. And if we come across one we really like, we ask for them again.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 2

People worry too much about tipping. Why are you (whoever) worried about what others tip? Are you scared of looking cheap? Are you worried about tipping too much? Tipping should he between you and whoever if anyone you decide to tip. If anyone is worried about your tips not going where you want it to just remove them. If you feel it's important to leave them to take care of those behind the scenes employees then leave them. Tip before, tip after, or dont tip at all. If you need any more advice send me a tip. If you find my advice useful send me a tip. If you want advice on a question you're gonna ask next week feel free to tip me in advance. If you dont want to tip me then dont. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

If you have to tip  EXTRA to get "proper" service on a cruise when tips are automatically added to your fare and to each beverage you order then you might want to cruise another line that is more service oriented.

I think you miss the point entirely. It's not tipping 'extra' to get "proper' service.....

it's awarding those that have already given exemplary service. Operative term: "Above and Beyond". Not 'proper' or 'expected'. Get it?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I think you miss the point entirely. It's not tipping 'extra' to get "proper' service.....

it's awarding those that have already given exemplary service. Operative term: "Above and Beyond". Not 'proper' or 'expected'. Get it?

But some say they tip their steward first night. Nothing has been done. Get it? Probably not, as the things you said it's not others have said it was exactly that which tells me you're not open-minded enough to consider what others have said and only want us all to accept what you say.

Are you saying the 18% tip carnival adds is to ensure non-exemplary service? Would that be then just to receive ordinary run of the mill service? What percent for the exemplary service? 30? 40? 50? 60? I dont really care your percentage, like I previously stated, that's between you and the one you are tipping... or not tipping.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 2:21 PM, jarvb said:

I usually sail with husband and have assigned dining.  This January I am sailing with my daughter and trying my time dining for the first time.  How do you usually tip the wait staff in the main dining room.  I am use to tipping on the last night ( in addition to prepaid), how do you handle tipping with my time?  What would you consider a reasonable tip, if tipping per meal.  Thanks.

This is my 5th cruise. We always do the assigned dining, works well for us. We of course pay the upfront gratuity. leave a tip for our steward and a tip from the whole table in our group on the last night of dining. When we do it as a group we talk about it in advance. Happy cruising. 

The Carnival site is the only one I see so many posts and threads about tipping , especially for not auto tipping.

Do is all a favor and leave your auto tips, especially if you’re doing ATD

The less that some chip in for tips, the more it costs the rest of us

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

all these replies from a post from almost a month ago and the OP has never returned.

OP said they always tipped on the last night on their other cruises when having assigned dining.

I wonder what cruise line that is? Don't most cruise lines charge your card if not prepaid?

On 12/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, teknoge3k said:

We always leave our prepaid gratuities in place, and use the same wait staff each night with YTD. The last night I usually give each of the 3 wait staff members an extra $30-$40/ea. 

This in a nutshell.

Have never done My Time Dining (whatever the correct term).  Tipping beyond the recommended gratuities is a matter of rapport with the wait staff to me.  I can't see that with my time dining.  I would do early/late dinning if I wanted rapport with the  wait staff.  

Edited by VentureMan_2000

7 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Have never done My Time Dining (whatever the correct term).  Tipping beyond the recommended gratuities is a matter of rapport with the wait staff to me.  I can't see that with my time dining.  I would do early/late dinning if I wanted rapport with the  wait staff.  

It can be done with YTD, as we do it. We usually request a certain waiter if we enjoyed his services, and tip at the last night. Most certainly can be done with YTD. All these people that have images of fear and doom if assigned dining go away are so false. Just request the same waiter! We do it, and it works. And if going at the same time every night is your thing (whether your hungry or not), you can still do it with YTD. I really don’t understand all the resistance to something much better. The days of being told when you can eat are over, and an archaic cruise model. Cruise lines are waking up to this. Mark my words. YTD will be all there is going forward in the future. So, never fear. You can get your same waiter. 

Edited by grandmarnnurse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

It can be done with YTD, as we do it. We usually request a certain waiter if we enjoyed his services, and tip at the last night. Most certainly can be done with YTD. All these people that have images of fear and doom if assigned dining go away are so false. Just request the same waiter! We do it, and it works. And if going at the same time every night is your thing (whether your hungry or not), you can still do it with YTD. I really don’t understand all the resistance to something much better. The days of being told when you can eat are over, and an archaic cruise model. Cruise lines are waking up to this. Mark my words. YTD will be all there is going forward in the future. So, never fear. You can get your same waiter. 

Usually, yes. But on our recent cruise I asked for and got a certain waiter I had read about on here. He was great and we had a table for 10 or more in his area every night. Even got two tables one night due to more people. But on the last night, there were only 6 of us and we were 5 minutes later than our usual 5:45. His entire section was full and we were put at a table with poor service. The hostess knew and recognized me every night when I approached even though our group was not always the same people. She saw me approach the last night and knew she screwed up. Possibly someone slipped her a tip. 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:39 PM, Lottacruises said:

People worry too much about tipping. Why are you (whoever) worried about what others tip? Are you scared of looking cheap? Are you worried about tipping too much? Tipping should he between you and whoever if anyone you decide to tip. If anyone is worried about your tips not going where you want it to just remove them. If you feel it's important to leave them to take care of those behind the scenes employees then leave them. Tip before, tip after, or dont tip at all. If you need any more advice send me a tip. If you find my advice useful send me a tip. If you want advice on a question you're gonna ask next week feel free to tip me in advance. If you dont want to tip me then dont. 

Exactly!  Tipping is not mandatory, it is a choice.  Tip as you want, or do not want.