Warnemünde / Rostock 2020

Travelanni

A very warm welcome to Rostock/Warnemünde for all our visitors in 2020.

The OFFICIAL Port of Rostock Authority berthing schedule for 2020 is now available on:-

https://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2020-port-calls.html

This schedule, once set, rarely changes as the berths are assigned many months ahead and it is part of the very busy, general port traffic.

The berths, third column, are situated as follows:-

P7 and P8 are in the main Cruise Centre in Warnemünde with permanent, modern buildings and all the usual facilities for passengers both in transit and embarking/disembarking.

5-10 mins walk from the train station and the town; access to both of which is now barrier-free.

P1-4 is a smaller berth at the opposite end of the passenger quay, transit passengers only using temporary facilities. Same distance to the station and town.

LP41 and LP31 are situated in the Overseas Port on the opposite side of the river and used for larger ships when the Cruise Centre is full. Most ships run shuttle buses to and from these berths but for public transport details please see my web site.

Warnemünde station upgrade, completion due late May 2020. 

Access to both the station and the town from the passenger quay will at last be barrier-free, the underpass replaced by a level path at the end of the platforms. There will also be direct access from the Cruise Centre to the excursion train platform just across the road..

Berlin trains

Starting in late May there will be an InterCity service every two hours direct between Warnemünde and Berlin Hbf. For timetables and ticket prices:-

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/query.exe/en

Tip – special fares, which offer a considerable saving, are available on-line 90 days before the date of travel. These sell out quickly.

There is very little difference between first and second class on DB trains and second is equal to, in some cases better than, first in many other countries.

Web site – www.travelanni.webs.com

The 2020 update has been started but some of the new timetables and fares will not be available for a while yet so please keep checking for more changes.

I have now retired but will be spending a good deal of time as a volunteer in the Kröpeliner Tor, HQ of the Historical Society where visitors are always welcome for a chat about our city. I will also be keeping the web site up to date and doing my best to answer your questions on this thread.

Retired?? Maybe not but I love to meet people and help them to enjoy, as much as I do, this beautiful, interesting city that I now call home.

I hope that I will one day meet some of my CC friends.

Happy planning and cruising.  :classic_smile:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

So happy to See you again Anni!

Einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahrzehnt und ein  gesundes neues Jahr 2020🍾🥂

Vielen Dank. Ich wünsche dir auch.  It is good to be back amongst friends.

Wow, thanks!  So nice of you.  We visit 25 of July!  We are looking for a tour that goes inside Schwerin Castle? Any thoughts?  I think we could  do on our own, but really do enjoy a tour as well.  Will copy your thread into our roll call.  

11 hours ago, cruisen JJ said:

Thank You Travelanni,

When buying tickets for train from Berlin to the cruise port what are the specific terminal names?

Hi,  the names of the terminals are Berlin Hbf. and Warnemünde  (or Warnemuende if you have no umlaut on your machine).

Tip:-  The difference between first and second class is not worth the cost but it is worthwhile to book your seats when buying your ticket.  In most cases you will see a seating plan and can choose your seats. Open seating type wagons are best if you have luggage.

For those not familiar with DeutscheBahn you will find the stations well signed.  Platforms are divided into sections, A B C etc. indicated by overhead signs. On each platform there is a plan of the layout of every train on that day showing in which section of the platform each numbered wagon will stop so you know where to stand.  On board there are good sized overhead racks and also racks for larger luggage at each end of the wagon.  It is NOT permissible to have your luggage in the centre aisle.  If you are nervous about theft (never heard of it myself) you can use the rack at the end which is visible from your seat. The train terminates in Warnemünde so there is no rush to get off.

Hope this helps you and anyone else planning to travel by train.

Happy planning and cruising :classic_smile:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:47 PM, milolii said:

Wow, thanks!  So nice of you.  We visit 25 of July!  We are looking for a tour that goes inside Schwerin Castle? Any thoughts?  I think we could  do on our own, but really do enjoy a tour as well.  Will copy your thread into our roll call.  

Hi, Schwerin itself is easy to DIY.  Details on how to get there etc. on my web site.

The Castle is also easy to DIY with their excellent audio guides in English.   For details https://www.schwerin.com/en/attractions-and-sights/schwerin-castle/

The gardens are beautiful and the park is nice for strolling, especially by the lake.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
last sentence missing after submission
  • Thanks 1

Hello!

we are traveling with another couple and will be In Warnemunde in September and would like a private tour. I know that many say you can DIY but we like a “ bit of hand ho,ding” I suppose. . Can you recommend a few For us?

thank you

Wendy

1 hour ago, Zoey1 said:

Hello!

we are traveling with another couple and will be In Warnemunde in September and would like a private tour. I know that many say you can DIY but we like a “ bit of hand ho,ding” I suppose. . Can you recommend a few For us?

thank you

Wendy

Friends of Dave seem to always get good reviews on here.

5 hours ago, Zoey1 said:

they do not really do private tours.

Friends of Dave offer small group tours - his tours are excellent. Are you wanting a private tour just for your yourselves and the couple with whom you are traveling? Do you want a tour of Warnemunde? Rostock? Schwerin? Berlin? Wismar? Bad Doberan? What are you looking for?

Have you checked-out Tours by Locals?

BTW: I believe that we are booked on the same Baltic cruise - X Reflection, September 3rd (saw your post on our roll call).

Have you checked-out Alla Tours? She offers private tours in all of our ports of call.

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, mjkStirling said:

Thank you for your post. Have booked with CMV and in the port at the end of July. What do you recommend for a couple who are aged 50 and love to explore on foot?

Hi,

You may like to visit one of the several towns in the vicinity and then finish off the day in Warnemünde which is only 5 mins from your ship.

Rostock - 25 mins by train and tram.  Bad Doberan - about 45 mins by train or bus.  Wismar - about 90 mins by train.  Schwerin - about 90 mins by train.  Stralsund - about 90 mins by train.  With a bit of planning it is possible to combine Rostock with Bad Doberan, Rostock with Schwerin, Wismar with Bad Doberan ,  Wismar with Schwerin or Stralsund with Rostock.   They are all covered by the Mecklenburg Day Ticket.

These towns are flat, compact and very easy to DIY, perfect to explore on foot.

For details on how to get there and a description of each please see my web site.

Whatever you do make sure you leave some time to spend in Warnemünde.  It is a little gem! 

Happy planning and cruising,

Anni.

www.travelanni.webs.com 

Edited by Travelanni
missing fact
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

I concur with kraut and Viking, good to hear from you again Anni. :classic_smile:

A visit to Swedish Germany/Pommern is still on my bucket list. 

Thank you, as I said before it is lovely to feel so welcome.  We look forward to seeing you.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, Travelanni said:

Tip:-  The difference between first and second class is not worth the cost but it is worthwhile to book your seats when buying your ticket.  In most cases you will see a seating plan and can choose your seats. Open seating type wagons are best if you have luggage.

Hope this helps you and anyone else planning to travel by train.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Can you go back and book the seats later? 

21 minutes ago, Anubi said:

I think so. I’ve been looking at bahn.com and there is an option for seat only (no ticket) although that might be only for holders of rail passes. Try it. 

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

Hi, certainly you can book seats later using the 'seat only (no ticket)' option but of course the later you leave it the less choice of seat you will have.  Most of the time this is not a problem but there is an indication of how busy DB expects a train to be, shown by the amount of shading on the little figures just to the right of the train details.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

22 hours ago, Travelanni said:

Hi,

You may like to visit one of the several towns in the vicinity and then finish off the day in Warnemünde which is only 5 mins from your ship.

Rostock - 25 mins by train and tram.  Bad Doberan - about 45 mins by train or bus.  Wismar - about 90 mins by train.  Schwerin - about 90 mins by train.  Stralsund - about 90 mins by train.  With a bit of planning it is possible to combine Rostock with Bad Doberan, Rostock with Schwerin, Wismar with Bad Doberan ,  Wismar with Schwerin or Stralsund with Rostock.   They are all covered by the Mecklenburg Day Ticket.

These towns are flat, compact and very easy to DIY, perfect to explore on foot.

For details on how to get there and a description of each please see my web site.

Whatever you do make sure you leave some time to spend in Warnemünde.  It is a little gem! 

Happy planning and cruising,

Anni.

www.travelanni.webs.com 

Thanks Anni. Will be sure to look at your site.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, Travelanni said:

Hi, certainly you can book seats later using the 'seat only (no ticket)' option but of course the later you leave it the less choice of seat you will have.  Most of the time this is not a problem but there is an indication of how busy DB expects a train to be, shown by the amount of shading on the little figures just to the right of the train details.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni, Your help is amazing.  Thank YOU. 

I have a question that I hope you can help me with.  We will be traveling by train from Munich to Berlin.  there will be 6 adults.  I went on your travelanni web site and read you instructions about buying regional train tickets on line.  So we could buy 2 tickets, for 3 people each?  And the six of us could use those 2 tickets for our travel?   Do we get 6 tickets?   Or do we share a ticket?   Can we buy these ahead of time, or get them at the train station in Munich that morning?   If we can get them ahead of time, do we get an email ticket?  And can we reserve seats?   

I have also read that we can go into https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/query.exe/en 90 days ahead of our travel day and possibly get cheaper tickets.   

Which would you suggest?  

1 hour ago, itsanita said:

Anni, Your help is amazing.  Thank YOU. 

I have a question that I hope you can help me with.  We will be traveling by train from Munich to Berlin.  there will be 6 adults.  I went on your travelanni web site and read you instructions about buying regional train tickets on line.  So we could buy 2 tickets, for 3 people each?  And the six of us could use those 2 tickets for our travel?   Do we get 6 tickets?   Or do we share a ticket?   Can we buy these ahead of time, or get them at the train station in Munich that morning?   If we can get them ahead of time, do we get an email ticket?  And can we reserve seats?   

I have also read that we can go into https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/query.exe/en 90 days ahead of our travel day and possibly get cheaper tickets.   

Which would you suggest?  

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.  I will try to answer point by point.

Berlin and Munich are not in the same region so there is no Regional Ticket which covers your journey.

The corresponding ticket which covers the whole of Germany, Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket, is valid only on Regional trains and seats cannot be booked.  Using this ticket would probably involve several changes.

You can get discounted tickets 90 days in advance but with your group number you would get the best deal with a Group Saver Fare.  For 6 or more people it has considerable savings and super advantages - use of direct ICE trains, booked seats included, available up to 6 months in advance.  You can find all the details at https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/query.exe/en > offers > Group travel in Germany.  I am not sure if the number of tickets offered is limited but my advice would be to buy your ticket as early as possible.  When you book on-line you generally print the ticket yourself, one for the whole group, and will be sent an e-mail confirmation.  You only need the ID of one person in the group, usually the credit card used for payment,  but you must be prepared to present that same ID on the train. 

Thank you for this query, I had no idea this ticket existed until I did the research so I have learned something new and useful.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com