Seville

Pvbgirl

On our 2018 voyage, Seville was listed as an overnight and we reversed the last part of the Guadalaquivir  river and docked adjacent to the Plaza de Espana and the Parque de Maria Luisa. The Cathedral and Alcazar are very easily walked from here. Check your itinerary and see if Seville or Cadiz is listed.

827723E6-77CB-4031-9A39-02F24E86D592.png

989D4645-23FF-407C-B4DD-6338F08985D6.jpeg

• Like 1

We did this just a few weeks ago on Azamara Pursuit in November.  It’s a real advantage to be docked directly in Seville, beautiful city.

Check the timings though if one of the highlights for you is the actual river transit....we went both ways in the dark.

In 2013 we sailed AZ up the river to downtown Sevilla and loved it, even though the rain was pouring down.  It was a great disembarkation location as we picked up a car and went to Granada and Cordoba.  A couple of years later we docked near Cadiz and took a bus up to Sevilla and that was fine as well.  Love that AZ can get us close to the heart of the wonderful tourist sites.  One of the great things about these small ships.

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

How long does it take to sail up the river from the ocean to Seville?

Seville is about 70 miles from the coast. We sailed in daylight both ways . Its a great river transit. If I remember correctly it took most of the day arriving at 6.30 pm the first day and we left at 6am on day 3. You can easily walk to all major sights from where Azamara docks. There is such a lot going on along the river and at times we were very close to the river banks. It made for a very relaxing two (sea ) days , but with plenty of things to see.

Others have mentioned sailing at night which would cut down on a sea day but you miss the sights.

• Like 1

We did day time up river and late afternoon down river. It was a Saturday evening and so lots of things happening on the river bank. We saw picnics and wedding parties which was a great contrast to the wildlife and working the fields of the transit up river. 
Once you dock everything is walking distance and in the evening even if you eat onboard as we did do walk back to town. The lighting on the buildings is wonderful and with the day trippers gone it’s a completely different perspective 

• Like 1

I think the timing of the trip up and back depends on the tide, so it's different each time.  We were scheduled to do this on Quest several years ago with Captain Carl, but we had a mechanical in Gibraltar the night before and had to wait for a part to be flown in.  We missed our tidal entry into Seville which was to be an early morning sail-in, and docked in Cadiz instead.  Seville was supposed to be our Azamazing Evening with Flamenco, so they brought the dancers to the ship.  The crew did a fantastic job rearranging all the shore excursions and providing buses for anyone who wanted to go into Seville, which I don't think they normally would do if docking in Cadiz. 

I think Captain Carl was the most upset about it.  I saw him at the buffet, and he told me that he'd been selling that cruise to anybody who would listen for three years because of that sail in.  It was a wonderful itinerary, but to him that was the biggest draw of the cruise.  I'd love to give it a try again sometime. 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

We did day time up river and late afternoon down river. It was a Saturday evening and so lots of things happening on the river bank. We saw picnics and wedding parties which was a great contrast to the wildlife and working the fields of the transit up river. 
Once you dock everything is walking distance and in the evening even if you eat onboard as we did do walk back to town. The lighting on the buildings is wonderful and with the day trippers gone it’s a completely different perspective 

Agree totally, the docking area is in a very attractive area and provides easy access to the downtown sites.

If my memory is correct, near the dock is the location of the Ibero American Expo held in 1929, and many of the buildings were constructed to be permanent fixtures in the surrounding park.

Almost directly across the river was the park which served as one of the main centres of the April Festival in Seville, a celebration of wine, paella, family connections, flamenco, and beautiful horses.

If you are lucky enough to be there for the Festival, it will be memorable.

Edited by nordski

Thank you so much for all the info. We will be arriving at 8am and departing at 6pm so we won’t get to see a lot along the river.  We are there for 2 nights and hoping to go over to Cordoba one of the days.  Given our itinerary it sounds like the Amazing Evening will most likely be in Seville.  

Here’s hoping by April 2022 things are back to “normal”!!!

16 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Thank you so much for all the info. We will be arriving at 8am and departing at 6pm so we won’t get to see a lot along the river.  We are there for 2 nights and hoping to go over to Cordoba one of the days.  Given our itinerary it sounds like the Amazing Evening will most likely be in Seville.  

Here’s hoping by April 2022 things are back to “normal”!!!

Actually if you get up early on arrival day and get to the back of the ship, the last part  of the transit  is done in reverse and quite interesting. The road bridge is raised to allow access for the mooring at the red cross. 

On departure night I would recommend dining at the buffet and you would get a good view for a few hours. Alternatively try and get a window table in the main dining room for the view. 

89443632-8B5F-497A-8A1B-3A0B05C3C75C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Combine -

Thanks for the picture it’s amazing that the ship fits through that narrow bridge opening.  Does the ship go through locks in the river?  

Its a tight fit! I dont recall any locks. The place where we did a 180 turn was also very interesting but unsure how early you would have to get up for that, I am sure Capt will give you a rundown of times the night before.

On a separate note , during a land based stay in Seville in 2015 , we caught the train to Cordobo and had a wonderful day. We were there late  April and the weather was gorgeous.

Combine - We will be there in early April and sunset isn’t until around 9pm so we should get to enjoy some of the cruise back down the river.  Definitely plan on getting up early for sail in.  Taking the train to Cordoba sounds like a plan - that’s what I love around AZ - overnights and late nights.  Really looking forward to this entire itinerary!! We booked it for Nov 20 - then moved to Sept 21 and recently pushed it back to Apr 22.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, combine said:

The place where we did a 180 turn was also very interesting but unsure how early you would have to get up for that, I am sure Capt will give you a rundown of times the night before.

When we took this cruise, the Captain announced that the turn would take place at around 4:00am. Although I'm not a morning person, I thought it would be a thrilling maneuver to see. I guess other people thought so too, because there were at least 30 people up on deck to watch. 

We were not disappointed. 

On another note:  it is an easy walk to the Alcazar Palace. It opens at 9:30am and if you arrive when they open, you will avoid the crowds who will arrive by bus from the big ships that couldn't sail up the river. You'll be able to explore the grounds in blissful peace and quiet. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

the - thanks for the additional info - 

any other tips anyone has are greatly appreciated!

I would second what uktog said earlier:  walk around the city at night. When the hoards have been bussed back to Cadiz, you can more easily enjoy the real beauty of Seville.

The size of the Plaza de Espana (right near where we docked)  is overwhelming, and the park is a nice place to people watch and rest after taking a long walk. 

• Like 1