“Dinner on the Edge” $95/person

bbnjcruiser

I don’t think they have it often and it might be booked up with those who can book through the Retreat Concierge. 

I guess if if you like lobster tail and beef it might be fun.  Since lobster is out for me and we don’t eat much beef, it’s not for us.

Edited by Oville

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Hope it isn’t windy .... it has been reported that breezy conditions significantly degrade the experience.

We booked it on the night we were overnighting in Bermuda.  😊

We did this on our B2B cruise in December. 

We ate mainly in Luminae, but did try the following Speciality Restaurants:

Prime Cut (wonderful meal with great service) 

EDEN (amazing food and presentation, Sommelier was the best) 

Raw on 5 (great seafood and service) 

Dinner on the Edge-

-Venue was beautiful as there was a full moon, making it very romantic. White table cloths with many tables for two. 

-Weather was very windy as we were sailing, lots of things blowing around, but the  moon on the water made up for it. 

-Service was OK, wine service was slow. 

-Look at the menu posted above, we thought we were suppose to pick out one dish in each course, but were surprised when they said you get it all!  They served each table family style which on a table for two, there was no room at all for your dishes, wine/water glasses, etc. There was so much food, we spaced ourselves but did not eat even half of the food, such a waste! 

Overall, we thought the food was good not great.  Temperature of some of the dishes was off as they were serving so many people with food that was cooked at the same time. We could only guess that because they charged $95.00 a person they felt they had to overload you with food (FYI- wine was not included). We thought that they missed the mark on this "special" dinner. Because it was only done once a cruise with limited seating, it was sought after.  But if they had made it a romantic dinner, cut the portions, do each dish with more of a special touch with the ability to keep the temperature of the food consistent and included a pairing of wine we probably would have done it again. We got the feeling that by serving a huge portions of food meant being able to justify the price. 

We spoke to 5 other couples over the two weeks that did the Dinner on the Edge and they all had the same experience.  

-Would we do it again... No. If they changed some things.... Yes, especially on a moonlight night. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I remember trying to book it, but it was always too windy for them to actually run it my sailing (hence the app only, special/limited event). So from what I hear (and also after thinking about the logistics), it's food that is prepared in one of the kitchens and then quickly brought over, since the Magic Carpet has no galleys. I was even under the impression it was buffet-like, so having a family-style approach sounds definitely nicer.

It'd be one of those experiences, I'd probably walk into thinking it's more for the amazing views and novelty. If they can figure out a method of finishing plated dishes on-the-fly through some remote kitchen or technique, then that might be even amazing.

That said, I'm still curious to do it, one day, just to have that under my belt.