Carnival loyal considering Royal

We have been on 12 cruises, Carnival only, and are looking at Symphony of the Seas.  Looking for feedback from those who have sailed both lines and possibly this ship.  Everything from music, food, cabin size, crew.  Thank you! 

You will, however, miss their Molten Lava Cake, that is still one of my favorite cruise desserts.  We just sailed the Symphony in December and absolutely loved her.  For Carnival I have been on Destiny/Sunshine, Liberty, and Fascination.  As soremekun says, you just can't find anything to compare until you sail.

I found the Crew to be very nice and helpful in all the venues.  We had the Unlimited Dining Package this trip, so did not try MDR, so unable to tell you about the food there.  I did eat at Windjammers for lunch a couple of times and I thought it was fine.  They had a variety of ethnic dishes and the usual hot dogs and hamburgers.  If you go around the corner from the main part of the buffet, there is another smaller area where they often had different dishes such as pastas with different sauces, etc.  Enjoyed the salad bar and learned that Ranch Dressing is a condiment instead of a salad dressing. 😁

Since Symphony is a new ship (2018) the rooms are beautiful, well appointed, and I thought nicely laid-out.  You can probably search Google or YouTube for various cabin types or look at iCruise.

Symphony is beautiful, never really felt crowded except during muster or shows on the Promenade.  I'm  unable to speak about the pool deck because I can't stay in the sun for long periods due to medications.  We had access to the Suite Deck and I could usually find shade there to read. 

You won't be bored!!

We sailed on Anthem and had a great time. On those things that can be compared we found Royal to be very similar to Carnival in many respects, certainly not a world of difference that some suggest. If the price is the same we would pick Royal, if Royal were a couple of hundred more we'd pick Royal, if Royal was a few hundred more we'd have to think about it (and a lot would depend on the ship).

I've sailed a few Carnival ships, including Magic recently, and the main concern is that Symphony will ruin Carnival for you.  It's way, way beyond anything Carnival has.  Entertainment is amazing, less crowded, better food, tons of venues, more deck space, amazing adults area, etc.  Probably nothing you are going to miss.

Any given evening there are live performers in 6 or 7 different venues, all sorts of different music.  Cabins are gorgeous and plenty spacious.  We recently sailed Symphony and found the crew the best of any cruise we have ever done.  You could tell Royal put their A game on this one.  But honestly, Carnival has awesome crew and the difference isn't that big of a deal.  It can also change day to day.  

I do suggest springing for the Ultimate Dining Package as Symphony really shines with speciality dining.  But there are a ton of complimentary venues that are great as well.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

My last two cruises have been on Carnival, we just got off the Breeze last month. The cutbacks on Carnival were glaring this last time and I think we're done with them for a while. Any of the new ships or the Royal Amped ships will be vastly superior to anything Carnival has, including the complementary food venues. Rooms are bigger, balconies are the same width but are deeper which is very nice. Overall I feel like service on RCCL blows Carnival out of the water.  

• Like 1

Sailed 3 times each on both Carnival and Royal. The newest Carnival ship I have sailed on is Vista while the newest Royal ship is Harmony so that is what I am basing my comments on.  

You will be blown away by Symphony as there is nothing in the Carnival fleet that compares.  The scale and grandeur of an Oasis class ship is simply unmatched by anything else in the cruise industry.  

Food wise Carnival wins in terms of complimentary food (just my personal opinion).  Carnival has better MDR, burger, Mexican and pizza.  Royal has some complimentary dining options which are not available on Carnival ships such as dog house, park cafe and Solarium bistro, but overall I would say Carnival food has more flavor and tasted better.

Specialty dining is a draw in my opinion.  Carnival has better steakhouse and Japanese/Asian cuisine, but Royal has better Italian (especially Jamie's) and the whimsical Wonderland.  Royal does have more specialty dining options than Carnival but that may change once Mardi Gras debuts later this year.

I like the Royal cabins better than Carnival.  The room size is generally comparable, but I find Royal's bathroom better than Carnival because it has shower door instead of shower curtain.  If you are looking for something luxurious, Royal wins hands down as Symphony has some of the most opulent suites in the cruise industry.  Carnival's suites tend to be much smaller and does not have the same "wow" factor.  

Royal has much better entertainment.  I would say the talent of the performers are comparable but Royal has larger scale production, better sets and more variety.  Carnival's production shows felt low budget when compared with Royal, not to mention Carnival has no ice or water show.

Activity wise I think Royal wins but not by much.  Both Vista and Harmony has water slides. pools movie under the stars and trivia.  Royal has the abyss slide, zip line, rock climbing wall and ice skating rink, while Carnival has the rope course and sky ride.  Both ship will keep you occupied, but I am giving the edge to Royal because it has a bit more variety.

So out of the 6 factors I reviewed Royal wins 4, loses 1 and tied with Carnival on 1.  That being said, I would not hesitate to sail Carnival again.  While not quite up to the standard of an Oasis class vessel, Carnival's newest ships are plenty fun (and better than NCL if you ask me).

• Like 8

10 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

We have been on 12 cruises, Carnival only, and are looking at Symphony of the Seas.  Looking for feedback from those who have sailed both lines and possibly this ship.  Everything from music, food, cabin size, crew.  Thank you! 

We began our cruising journey with 10 Carnival cruises before we ventured out to Royal.

Things you'll miss:

Sail away parties on Royal are nothing like Carnival. Much more low keyed. Oh, they try, but just can't compare. Especially on the Symphony due to the layout of the top decks.

The "FUN" atmosphere. I don't know how to explain it but the Carnival "Fun" ships have a more upbeat vibe than does Royal. Maybe it's due to the entertainment staff trying to get the customers more involved? Maybe the entertainment staff is more upbeat? Can't explain it. That's not to say that Royal is laid back and subdued. They are not by far. 

Guys Burgers for free. Playmakers on Symphony is the greatest afloat for bar food, but does cost extra.

Royal entertainment shows are much better.

You pay a much higher price for a suite on Royal, but the benefits are way better than on Carnival.

Other than that, Carnival and Royal are the same. Have a Carnival and a Royal cruise booked for 2021.

• Like 2

Have sailed equally on both lines.  The one thing that is driving me away from Carnival is the fact that they no longer have an "adult only" pool, whereas Royal has their Solarium.  I have raised my kids, I work 2 jobs to support my habit of cruising and I just like the peace and quiet of the Solarium.

Platinum on Carnival, just started cruising Royal.

Carnival wins for food. With the exception of the specialty restaurants. Love Guys Burgers and the Blue Iguana. Did like the Hot Dog place on Oasis.

The setup on the Oasis class ships wins. The whole promenade is much different and more fun than Carnival. Also more activities on Royal it seems, other than the normal pool events, trivia, bingo, etc. Smaller ships, there is not as much of a difference.

Did feel a bit too crowded on Oasis, so I am not sure that large of a ship is for me.

I could go on either. Really depends on price and itinerary.

6 minutes ago, honeybunches said:

Have sailed equally on both lines.  The one thing that is driving me away from Carnival is the fact that they no longer have an "adult only" pool, whereas Royal has their Solarium.  I have raised my kids, I work 2 jobs to support my habit of cruising and I just like the peace and quiet of the Solarium.

IF the "adult only" is enforced. On Oasis, it was not. On Serenade, it was. I totally agree with you though.

10 minutes ago, honeybunches said:

Of course Solarium is not strictly "adult only" since 16 year old and above may use it. Serenity at least has a 21 year old age requirement (with or without a pool, which I guess is dependent on which ship you are on).

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Having sailed 6 times on Carnival and probably 8 on Royal, no comparison.  Carnival is very low end- more like NCL and Royal is so much better in all areas.  Royal entertainment cannot be beat.

Enjoy your cruise

Agree with this post.  We have sailed Carnival and RCL many times and RCL is just a better in terms of both the ships and passengers.  Carnival is the only cruise line we have seen physical fights break out.  Im sure it happens on all lines, but we have only seen it on carnival and on more than one occasion.  We feel much better/ safer with our kids on RCL than Carnival any day.  

• Like 3

The only thing I really felt Carnival has over Royal is the comedians and piano bar on ships that have them - true piano bar venue that was a great nightly venue as well as different comedy acts most nights with some very funny comedians.  I do feel the newer Royal ships with the comedy club are a closer comparison but it's one comic and not always an easy ticket to get.

9 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

The only thing I really felt Carnival has over Royal is the comedians and piano bar on ships that have them - true piano bar venue that was a great nightly venue as well as different comedy acts most nights with some very funny comedians.  I do feel the newer Royal ships with the comedy club are a closer comparison but it's one comic and not always an easy ticket to get.

The piano bar guy on Majesty was fantastic. The Schooner bar was hoppin when he was playing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

The piano bar guy on Majesty was fantastic. The Schooner bar was hoppin when he was playing. 

We had a terrific one on Liberty OTS a few years ago but last spring on Indy it was something like improv piano and we left within the first song, we just wanted a true piano bar so I feel it can be hit or miss - I know that is true on any line as the actual performer can make or break it but I also liked that they had a closed venue for the piano bar on Carnival.

31 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I used to think Carnival had way better comedy, but not anymore.  For one, their comedy club is a crowded mess.  People line up way early, fight over seats, it sucks.  I much prefer the reservations on Oasis class and the more intimate comedy club.  And two, when we recently sailed Magic, the comedians were freakin' horrible.  15 minutes in to the sets, we walked out on 2 of them.  Just, terrible.  A 3rd (who was earlier in the cruise) was fantastic, so we had good vibes for comedy, but goodness, the last 2 later in the cruise were just awful.  My wife loves comedy and will sit through almost anything, so imagine being so bored and unimpressed that she gets up and leaves not once, but twice.

It's easy to get a reservation for comedy on Oasis, you just book on your cruise planner before you go.  Plus they do an extra show on day 7 in the main theater.  You can get reservations for both.

I agree with you about the piano bar.  The Schooner performers are hit and miss, it's not intimate, and not consistent.  The piano bar on Carnival was definitely better and a "true" piano bar.  However, we don't really miss the piano bar because there is just so much else going on.  The Mexican band in Boleros was amazing, fun stuff at On-Air (karaoke, etc.), fantastic house band at Dazzles, really impressive jazz band and vocalist at Jazz on 4, and even the guitar/singer at the pub was pretty fun.  And this is all going on at the same time (I'm missing others, like CP, too).  We absolutely love strolling around to the venues in the evening and enjoying all of the entertainment.

Edited by BNBR

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

We began our cruising journey with 10 Carnival cruises before we ventured out to Royal.

Things you'll miss:

Sail away parties on Royal are nothing like Carnival. Much more low keyed. Oh, they try, but just can't compare. Especially on the Symphony due to the layout of the top decks.

The "FUN" atmosphere. I don't know how to explain it but the Carnival "Fun" ships have a more upbeat vibe than does Royal. Maybe it's due to the entertainment staff trying to get the customers more involved? Maybe the entertainment staff is more upbeat? Can't explain it. That's not to say that Royal is laid back and subdued. They are not by far. 

Guys Burgers for free. Playmakers on Symphony is the greatest afloat for bar food, but does cost extra.

Royal entertainment shows are much better.

You pay a much higher price for a suite on Royal, but the benefits are way better than on Carnival.

Other than that, Carnival and Royal are the same. Have a Carnival and a Royal cruise booked for 2021.

Royal's sail away options as so much better. They have something going on at the pool deck, on the bow of the ship (if you have access) and the Royal Promenade. There's so "Fun" vibe on Carnival it's just loud, it's just extra loud and in you face all the time....that's not fun.  

2 hours ago, crusnbee said:

Platinum on Carnival, just started cruising Royal.

Carnival wins for food. With the exception of the specialty restaurants. Love Guys Burgers and the Blue Iguana. Did like the Hot Dog place on Oasis.

The setup on the Oasis class ships wins. The whole promenade is much different and more fun than Carnival. Also more activities on Royal it seems, other than the normal pool events, trivia, bingo, etc. Smaller ships, there is not as much of a difference.

Did feel a bit too crowded on Oasis, so I am not sure that large of a ship is for me.

I could go on either. Really depends on price and itinerary.

Carnival does what it can with the quality of food they are given but it's not good...at all. The meat and produce on the Breeze last month was poor to say the least. MDR and buffet food and selection are good to very good on Royal. Guy's burgers has a cult following for a mediocre burger. It's ok but again not great and not enough to set it apart. Blue Iguana was the stand out, awesome selection for breakfast and lunch but now Royal has El Loco Fresh which is good as well. No ship has felt more crowded than the Dream class when people are trying to get into or out of the comedy club. 

• Like 1

About the only thing I miss from Carnival is Guy's Burgers. That's about it.

I like the entertainment, food, drink, Solarium and cabins better on Royal. I also like the specialty dining options better.

The last time I was on a Carnival ship I couldn't wait to get off of it. The "fun" felt fake.

I find the food on Carnival better, and I found the FUN squad above and beyond compared to the cruise director staff on Royal. In the end, you can ask a bunch of different people and get a bunch of different answers. You just have to try it to see. I would willingly sail either line and plan to do so based on budget/ports/ship and what works best each time I'm planning a cruise. I will hands down not sail NCL again, it was so far behind my experiences on Royal and Carnival. People say Carnival is low budget riff raff clientele and all that, but I saw a fair amount of that on my Royal cruise as well. Give it a try, and let us know what you think!

I’ve done all  Carnival with the exception of Majesty in 2000 and didn’t care for it so stuck with Carnival. Fast forward to 2016 we went on Allure and it was great. Went on the carnival glory in 2018 and I’ll doubt I’d ever go on another Carnival ship again. I’m my opinion Carnival is old and tired with bad entertainment, they need to step it up.

will be on Harmony in April and I can’t wait. Royal totally fits my needs as entertainment is very good and always something to do. Food is about the same although I think carnivals buffet is better than the Windjammer on Royal’s Allure 

Wow, thank you all so much for the informative feedback!  We have a cabin on hold until tomorrow but pretty sure we’ll be finalizing it.  Hubs & I are ready to try something new and from the reviews and your comments it sounds like a good ship (and price) to do it. 😊